TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion photo book from 1981!

There are very FEW things that have not changed at PKD in the last 25 years

Eiffel Tower, Dodgem, Wave Swinger, the fountains (although the border has changed DRAMATICALLY) Log flume and the Blue ridge tollway just about everything else looks completely different. Rebel yell is still there but looks very different and the old Q house was much better than what they have now

Just thought I would share these pics with you guys

JEFF

ANA90.jpg.7a4042689ebecd4335549777d11a1356.jpg

Bonus pic from the season password from August 1990....this is how the ride sat for a YEAR the foundations were even finished for the pretzel loop and corkscrews...probably could have been finished in a month....but they let it sit for a year...this is th

yell.thumb.jpg.319081311dbdcae52f829231f3b2a5e4.jpg

the classic Q house and the much better color scheme....note the 4 car PTC's anybody know the year it went 5 car?

Time.jpg.6a9ee00313794a7924be4a01d7f0ecb8.jpg

Time shaft was a Rotor ride with lighting effects and loud music buried DEEP in the mountain

skiing.jpg.47156cbc6d8afae627454b3c7c5b7b2a.jpg

yes they had water skiing shows on the lake..there used to be grandstands behind Dodgem to watch the skiiers

scooby.jpg.8c5413a3cb56f94a3df0f4f50b31e90e.jpg

scooby dooby doo!

pkd2.jpg.06573876d44b1e78bb0e69bd7af53bf2.jpg

another mountain shot

parrot.jpg.b436e036afd828a4de2c55d08fb6d0eb.jpg

these were the best Flyers ever..originally called the parrot troopers. note that half the loading platform was a pier and you would swing out OVER the lake...this ride scared me half to death when I was a kid...I thought for sure "the strings would snap"

mtn.jpg.46938a68aa8b54b57eb10913c1f5d490.jpg

The lost world

monster.jpg.f7210615a18b174ebe4f334cfb8bee6e.jpg

Classic monster ride located in the same area that Drop Zone occupies now

Lostmtn.jpg.5baa8e9192abd27f2f5a4e0233897a63.jpg

Volcano in its dormant state

kingkobra.thumb.jpg.1b5d8203ea4fdf0219eeed860a272e18.jpg

ahhhhhhh

Istreetlake.jpg.244ccdc1fa620495214516d807154034.jpg

check out how big the lake was and how big that water spray is

HauntedRiver.jpg.8e037b602a778464f2f8655ec79e280e.jpg

I wish the pics were better but this is the 2 page foldout for the Haunted River a great dark ride/log flume

fountain.jpg.2147da5c9acea0f68cf74f082ccc6b73.jpg

I street

ballon.jpg.0ccfe4c2acd2ffd6b63afac0d75af488.jpg

check out the border of the fountain

Aturn.jpg.5530eba24c37ea1b21bd8e04c850bca6.jpg

Apple Turnover...old enterprise by the lake (great name)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember riding the Haunted River when I first moved to Virginia (was going to finish a master's degree and leave, but "the best laid plans of mice and men . . ."). The best part was that rather steep drop at the end. I thought. Below is a rather dark picture I took last weekend after riding Volcano. I had never noticed these skeletons down in the pit by the exit--they look like leftover theming from the Haunted River.

I remember the fountains in the entry plaza looking a whole lot bigger in the movie Rollercoaster. And how about those singing mushrooms?

Thanks for sharing, Jeff--Rebel Yell's old queue house was pretty cool (as was that lake).

232010864_VolcanosTomb.jpg.3ee6b0bc9a9045fc010277daf0c07d85.jpg

Sorry the picture's so dark. Looks like these poor guys have been hanging around Volcano's exit for quite some time.

Great pictures, I think I would have enjoyed the park more if it had all the rides it had in those photos compared to what is there now. I didn't know they used to have those Old Engine 99 trains. It seems like they are gone except for the ones at the Great Escape.

Rebel Yell's old queue house looks better than what they have now (I hate how it takes forever to walk through the current queue that seems way too long for the short lines it gets)

Wow, awesome pictures, thanks for posting them.

I totally forgot about the Time Shaft! I loved the Haunted River though. When I visited PKD my one and only time (I think it was the year Hurler opened, 95, maybe?) I rode and enjoyed both of those rides. The Smurf ride was already closed by then though.

Wow, its been over 10 years since I visited PKD, I should try and hit it again this summer.

I totally forgot about the Time Shaft! I loved the Haunted River though. When I visited PKD my one and only time (I think it was the year Hurler opened, 95, maybe?) I rode and enjoyed both of those rides. The Smurf ride was already closed by then though.

Wow, its been over 10 years since I visited PKD, I should try and hit it again this summer.

Hurler opened in 1994

1993 was the last season for Smurf Mountain and the Animal Monorail

1994 was the last season for Apple Turnover

1995 was the last season for Haunted River and Time Shaft

JEFF

Hurler opened in 1994

1993 was the last season for Smurf Mountain and the Animal Monorail

1994 was the last season for Apple Turnover

1995 was the last season for Haunted River and Time Shaft

JEFF

Thanks for the timeline!

Yeah, I do think it was 1994 that I visited. I remember visiting BGW for the first time that same trip and Escape from Pompeii was under construction (This was August of '94, and I looked it up and Pompeii opened in '95). And I remember the brochures were really pushing Hurler.

Wow, a lot of things I have missed since then (12 years!), I'll have to hit it up this coming August.

Yeay cheers for those pics. I love looking back at parks from a few years ago, before true modernity started to sweep in, and somewhat tarnish things.

When watching Rollercoaster, I always love the Rebel Yell footage - those are the trains a good woodie SHOULD have and those are exactly the right colours, too. There's far too much plain white, or bare wood these days. Pure loveliness back then, ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Ok so I didn't experience any of it myself, but I know I'd prefer it to today's equivalents.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm curious to know when they took out the skyride, for lack of a better name. It was the ride that took you across the park for those of us with tired feet, or if we wanted a birds eye view. There's several shots of it in the pictures.

I was so disappointed when I took my 4 year-old sons to the park in 1995 only to find out that they had removed the safari a couple years before, they were really looking forward to it (as was I). I hadn't been there since 1990 and didn't know it was gone.

Man a trip down memory lane! The King Cobra, that was my first looper. Haunted River, I loved that ride, what a classic that was. I haven't been to the park since 1990 when we moved to Dallas. I can still remember the water ski shows on the lake. I know I'm old. The Sky Ride, Apple Turnover. I regret not takeing pics all those years ago. I can remember the top of the Eiffel Tower when it wasn't fully caged in, before that man committed suicide jumping off. Yikes. I also remember watching them build Anaconda. It was fascinating to me when they drained the entire lake to build it!! Thanks for the pics!!

The best feature of this parks past was that huge lake by Rebel Yell. When they built Anacanda, I thought that was a nice touch, (over the water), but then that water park came along and took up alot of the lakes space. It looks too cluttered now. I wish the water park was next door, not IN the park.

Thanks for sharing - these are some great shots!

That log flume ride looks amazingly themed! Too bad they wouldn't have been able to keep that and the Volcano coaster.

I remember seeing Anaconda on the news the year it opened and thinking to myself, "you'll never get me on that thing!"

My, how times have changed!