Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1678: Wildwood Grove announcement
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby middle_keeny » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:56 am

John Peck wrote:I'm heading to Dollywood in a few weeks (on a friday) for the first time since 2001. Any advice on what to hit first and what direction I should go?

Also, if there is any advice you can give on discounts and where to find them. Also, we will most likely have one meal there... what would you all suggest?

A Friday once school is in will be pretty dead. the crowd may pick up in the evening, but I would expect a walk on for most. If you are there mainly for the coasters, go left as you enter and make your way around the park counter clockwise. Be sure to take in the atmosphere and take your time there. Lightning Rod is pretty much down for the rest of the year so I wouldn't worry about rushing there.

Dollywood is known for their food, there really is not a bad place to get food there. Some say the Pizza is lackluster. I personally eat at Aunt Granny's Buffet it costs almost the same to eat there as some of the food stands. The most popular place to eat at the park is Red's, which is basically a Jonny Rockets. But whatever you do, whatever you eat.... the Cinnamon Bread !!! You will thank me later.

In terms of discounts, Dollywood doesn't have many coupons out there.Military ,senior, certain employers, etc. are some discounts they offer. They really push the season pass if you're gonna be there more than one day.

Couple of tips: If your hotel is near a trolley stop, look into that. It would save you on parking. - Most rides have places to store belongings when you ride. I carry all my stuff in a string backpack and just store it while I ride. No need to rent fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo. - Most people don't know this but all food stands will give you free water. don't buy water there. If you bring your own cup, they will fill it for you.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Dollywoodlover20 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:52 pm

Two things;
1. I heard a rumor that Lightning Rod is supposed to open back up on Labor Day. That the coaster has been fixed for a few weeks, that they have just been waiting for the all clear from RMC.
2. Carowinds Copperhead Strike? I would LOVE if Dollywood got something like this for 2020! Give it a dark ride portion like Mystery Mine, some twists and turns, with a Smoky Mountain twist. Plus have you seen how much land is left to develop for Phase 2 of this expansion? I feel the next big coaster will go there. In total it’s like a 13/14 acre expansion. Wildwood Grove is 5 acres.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby middle_keeny » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:45 pm

Dollywoodlover20 wrote:Two things;
1. I heard a rumor that Lightning Rod is supposed to open back up on Labor Day. That the coaster has been fixed for a few weeks, that they have just been waiting for the all clear from RMC.
2. Carowinds Copperhead Strike? I would LOVE if Dollywood got something like this for 2020! Give it a dark ride portion like Mystery Mine, some twists and turns, with a Smoky Mountain twist. Plus have you seen how much land is left to develop for Phase 2 of this expansion? I feel the next big coaster will go there. In total it’s like a 13/14 acre expansion. Wildwood Grove is 5 acres.

If you follow the pattern between SDC and DW you will find that whatever SDC gets, Dollywood will get a few years later. Since the opening of Time Traveler, most are speculating Dollywood will get a Mack in in the expansion. If you watch the coaster parody of Time Traveler, Tyler makes a joke of it at the end of the video. personally, it sounds highly likely that this will happen. My only concern is if Carowinds puts a no compete agreement when Copperhead strike is built. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby dstephe9 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:12 pm

The rumor as to why Dollywood and SDC do what they do is because they buy the coasters or rides in pairs for a better deal.. again, just a rumor, but if that rumor is true, Dollywood possibly has the Mac ordered already and has had it ordered for a while, meaning a no compete agreement wouldn't affect Dollywood.

This is all if we ever get one and none of this has ever been confirmed by anyone, it's just speculation as to why we get the rides we do shortly after SDC.. recent though, especially with coasters, they really haven't been following that path much except with LR

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Last edited by dstephe9 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:15 pm.

Postby Dollywoodlover20 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:19 pm

Exactly, I’m thinking Dollywood will go the Mack route. They could do some amazing heavy theming with it. Imaginge something like Taron meets Copperhead Strike.
Also, I don’t really consider Dragonflyer their “next big coaster” addition. It just seems as something to keep the older guests/coaster enthusiasts entertained as Wildwood Grove is more tame for 2019.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:31 pm

Dollywoodlover20 wrote:It just seems as something to keep the older guests/coaster enthusiasts entertained as Wildwood Grove is more tame for 2019.

It seems to be exactly what the land needs - an anchor family attraction. I would be legitimately surprised if Dollywood adds anything even close to a major roller coaster before the 2022 season. Wildwood Grove appears to be a hee-uge investment.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby dstephe9 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:13 pm

I wouldn't be surprised. Pete has already confirmed there would be a phase 2 that's twice the size of phase 1.. the entrance to phase 2 is possibly already on the map (the tunnel).. Phase 1 is supposed to be done next year and I could see them starting land clearing for phase 2 at that time to keep up excitement and construction on it late 2020. I can see a coaster taking up a lot of that land in phase 2 making it's usable size about the same as phase 1.

What Pete hasn't confirmed is if the expansion is two parts and phase 2 will be an entirely different land or if Wildwood Grove is a two phase project. If Wildwood Grove is a two phase project I can see them going straight into phase 2 when 1 is complete. Phase 2 being much larger than phase one, clearly leaves plenty of room for a large coaster and possibly even a large dark ride.

I'd personally find it hard to believe there wouldn't be a large ride as part of phase 2, simply due to the size difference. Unless phase 2 is an on site resort.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:20 am

dstephe9 wrote:I'd personally find it hard to believe there wouldn't be a large ride as part of phase 2, simply due to the size difference. Unless phase 2 is an on site resort.

That's honestly what I was thinking when the land was revealed initially, an on-site themed resort with its own exclusive park gate would be breaking new ground in the United States. That sort of immersion hasn't really been seen much outside of Tokyo Disney Resort and Europa Park.

Now, a big new different kind of ride for Phase 2? That's totally fair game. A new dark ride, a new water ride, a new big show venue, some other new thing... I just don't think Dollywood's next big thing is going to be a coaster the size of, say, Wild Eagle or Lightning Rod, before a few years from now. They have plenty of potential to use the in-between years to expand Splash Country too, right?
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby Dollywoodlover20 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:39 pm

When you think of resorts think of this. A resort will take around 2 years to build. DreamMore was announced August 2013, and opened in 2015. The new proposed plan spans over 5 years. The last was 10 years and Wildwood Grove was the final touch of that 10 year. I feel like the park needs to expand just a little bit more before a resort is put in park. Give more room to move around.

If you ride the train, as you pass the end of the clearing look to your right. They’re already clearing down the mountain. Which makes me wonder how far they’re actually going to expand?

Postby dstephe9 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:31 am

"The company is now working on the next five-year plan for Dollywood. “We’ve been happy with lodgings, so we will continue to expand that piece of the business. We will also continue to add new attractions to Dollywood.” 

That's directly from this interview I posted about a month ago from the president of HFE.

https://blooloop.com/features/jane-cooper-herschend-family-entertainment/

It's very very possible that the new resort or something to do with their resorts, or possibly just dreammore is currently in the works. Phase 2 will be the end of this 5 year expansion (or the start of the 5 year, depending on how she is phrasing "currently working on") so the timing matches perfectly, again for phase 2

The new attractions could be phase 1 and lodging phase 2.

At this point anything is possible, but, they haven't made anything announced or even hinted at about large rides.. they have hinted at a new resort, or at least something to do with their lodgings.

Although, being local, I'd rather have rides vs hotels but hotels bring in guest, and an on site hotel, locks the guest in a little better than off-site.

When I stay in an on-site hotel at Disney or even Breakers at Cedar Point, I never even have the thought of leaving the area for an evening. If I stay at an off-site hotel such as Breakers express or a chain hotel it's like 'where do you wanna go eat dinner'

Dreammore is technically off-site.. the area is so small and your so close to other attractions, by the time you ride the tram back to the hotel, it's just as easy to hop in your car and go somewhere. On-site hotels such as Breakers and Disney, it's not that easy. Even the value resorts at Disney, itt sometimes easier to just go back to the park to eat vs driving into town

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!