Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1603: expansion expected in '19, announcement August 3rd
Users viewing this topic: Dollywoodlover20 and 21 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby willh51 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:15 pm

I haven't been following this thread religiously, but has Dollywood managed to get Lighting Rod running with two trains consistently?
1. Intimidator 305 2. Maverick 3. Bizarro at SFNE 4. Millennium Force 5. Raptor
6. Batman & Robin: The Chiller (defunct) 7. Nitro 8. Apollo's Chariot 9. Afterburn (Carowinds) 10. Lightning Racer

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby dstephe9 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:19 pm

I have yet to see two trains run this year, as far as I remember, and have been on some fairly busy days.. I think maybe they attempted two trains early in the season.. I was there yesterday and it was down most of the morning (I arrived at 11 and left around 2). It's possible I missed it being open while I was there and i do know it opened at some point yesterday

It's probably been 50% on most days this year.. there was about a week it was down but it is running most days, at least half the day

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby dstephe9 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:23 pm

Jdprince45 wrote:It may end up being like Disney World, where they have worked so hard on closing their traditional slow times that they really don’t have a slow period anymore. Used to be The park was almost empty the first week of December, but now you go there during that time and there’s a ton of groups such as cheerleaders and dancers etc.

That being said, the pigeon Forge area is not very crowded in January and February. I agree that if they would offer a massive discounts a dream more then they might could and start building your business in those two months it may take a few years

I hope it happens Dollywood is our family’s favorite park and we prefer to go when it’s less crowded
Yeah, Disney does a good job with conferences during their slow season (my work booked one).. Dollywood has been doing the same and it really helps build up the park. That area in general is full of conferences during the winter, that's why the weekends are still so busy.. Church conferences pretty much every weekend during the winter, plus other types of band conferences and what not.. usually the conference goers have the afternoon free (I have been to several personally) and they go out and enjoy attractions.. Dollywood would be fairly popular if their price was low enough I'd imagine.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby average.coaster.fan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:54 pm

dstephe9 wrote:I have yet to see two trains run this year, as far as I remember, and have been on some fairly busy days.. I think maybe they attempted two trains early in the season.. I was there yesterday and it was down most of the morning (I arrived at 11 and left around 2). It's possible I missed it being open while I was there and i do know it opened at some point yesterday

It's probably been 50% on most days this year.. there was about a week it was down but it is running most days, at least half the day

I visited the park a few hours ago and can definitely confirm that the park was running two trains on Lightning Rod for at least this morning. Not so sure about the evening since the had some maintenance issues, but was nonetheless a fantastic ride.
Steel: 153 Wood: 38 Overall: 191
Top 5 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Skyrush, i305, Maverick
Top 5 Wood: Voyage, Lightning Rod, Outlaw Run, Beast, Thunderhead
Top 5 Parks: Cedar Point, Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, Busch Gardens Tampa, Holiday World

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby komasixx » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:39 pm

dstephe9 wrote:I have yet to see two trains run this year, as far as I remember, and have been on some fairly busy days.. I think maybe they attempted two trains early in the season.. I was there yesterday and it was down most of the morning (I arrived at 11 and left around 2). It's possible I missed it being open while I was there and i do know it opened at some point yesterday

They’ve been running 2 very consistently. Almost every day now

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby LukeFlynn » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:37 am

It was running two trains yesterday, at around 6PM they took it down to one... likely because the crowds dropped pretty rapidly.
Dear God, the Donkeys are invading my life.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Dollywoodlover20 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:59 am

Wonder when we’ll see the cosmetic changes made to the trains? It’s like the hoods/trunks appeared then disappeared haha. I’ll be at the park tomorrow if all goes well. First time of the season (a bit late for my usual but life happens) and I’m so ready. Season pass is ready to go! Question, my parents have the McDonalds 10 dollars off cups for each ticket. So you just enter that code on the cup online when you order your ticket and print it out? I know we used to do the cup deal when it was just 5 dollars off for one ticket if you brought the cup there. I go more than my parents do they didn’t get a pass. I go with friends like 5+ times.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby bluestreak » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:08 am

Not only is LR running two today but the park is so packed that even Tennessee Tornado is putting a second train on right now. Thank goodness I have timesaver.
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby LukeFlynn » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:04 pm

Dollywoodlover20 wrote:Wonder when we’ll see the cosmetic changes made to the trains? It’s like the hoods/trunks appeared then disappeared haha. I’ll be at the park tomorrow if all goes well. First time of the season (a bit late for my usual but life happens) and I’m so ready. Season pass is ready to go! Question, my parents have the McDonalds 10 dollars off cups for each ticket. So you just enter that code on the cup online when you order your ticket and print it out? I know we used to do the cup deal when it was just 5 dollars off for one ticket if you brought the cup there. I go more than my parents do they didn’t get a pass. I go with friends like 5+ times.

The hoods are nowhere to be seen, but the trunks are under the transfer track still. They look like atrocious flat plastic humps with painted on tires. They should stay off, I would be completely fine if they just did something similar to what Outlaw Run has at this point.
Dear God, the Donkeys are invading my life.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Dollywoodlover20 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Luke are they really still under the transfer? I was looking everywhere and couldn’t see. Or do you mean in the maintenance bay?
Went to the park today. Was there from 11:30-8ish. Then my family wanted to eat Cheddars and we were absolutely killed out. So, let’s see. Started the day off with of course, LR. What better way. They were running two trains and running great. Crowds weren’t all that bad, I think the heat kept a lot of people away. Still LR’s crew was prepared because I only waited 5 mins and got 3 rides in back to back.
Before I go any further let me say this, at the bottom of the drop right as you crest flat something is up. The first ride I was like “Oop well there it is, ok”. The next rides it really felt like damage was done haha that’s how rough this was. On I think my 6th round of the day I heard the entire train say “UHMP OWW WHAT WAS THAT” followed by screams into the wave turn. I’ve ridden it 40+ times now though so on my way to 100 lol.
So around like 2 everything shut down for lightning for 2.5 hours. Everything was working in Mystery Mine, I was impressed. Although you could get high while sitting at the top of lift 2. Fumes were strong today.
New land? Same ole thing. No movement. Best view is MM’s que. All you can really see are placement for footers literally everywhere. They’re starting to do something towards the end of the clearing as well.
Fireworks are now being shot up at the train loop and I assume that’s where they’ll stay for a while.
Helped so many first time guests that traveled 8+ hours away. They said they were enjoying the park/loved it so much but just needed help finding things like Barnstormer, Mountain Slidewinder, Daredevil Falls etc. One guest didn’t know Lightning Rod existed until we were on Drop Like together and he asked what coaster that was. Told him I was going there next so I took his family there. They said hands down best wooden coaster. Pete, where’s my job? I’ll start ASAP. ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!