Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1603: 5 acre expansion expected in '19 behind Thunderhead
Users viewing this topic: Dollywoodlover20, ThemeParkJunkie51290 and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby dstephe9 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:28 pm

They had a song from Moana (one of Dwayne Johnson's songs) when I was there and yes Coco's remember me.. they also had a song that was very similar to a song from Indiana Jones. Not sure if it was a real Indiana Jones song or not but I'm sure that's what they were going for. my wife was making fun of it.. Kids loved it.. My wife thought she heard frozen as well but I didn't.. I heard Moana and Coco very loud and clear though

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Comeagain? » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:59 pm

Sounds like Dollywood is having a hard time getting started this season, but unfortunately that is the reality of a seasonal theme park. New staff learning things, limited returning staff to do the training. If moving trams somewhere else would really make your day that much better, they could have probably done that. But then they'd have a tram driver (or two) not actually helping anything. Ticket lines are long, but many people can buy online. Ticket sales (and season pass processing) and hawking soda bottles are vastly different tasks, even if both use the same POS system. I can pretty much guarantee there are members of management who saw those inefficiencies and wanted to do something about it, but that doesn't mean they had anything that they could do.

And simply starting the season sooner so spring break isn't the first major operating week is likely not an option. If the park found it financially viable to be open earlier (or even all year) they would. But realistically that doesn't work given the enormous cost of staffing an empty park. Plus the added strain on maintenance and upkeep schedules being shortened even more. For now, an unfortunate reality of running a season park is the first few weeks sucks.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:24 am

ASE wrote:BTW, is Dollywood now paying news stations in major cities to do stories on them? Just noticed this one in Atlanta, which threw in Dolly’s shows and Splash Country as well at the end. I got about halfway through the article and thought, “good grief this sound like PR” and sure enough there it was at the bottom. Sure, I’ve seen paid ads and commercials before, but never entire news segments.

They're called advertorials and they've been popular for years. People are far more likely to read them than normal ads so companies pay a premium for them.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby ASE » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:19 am

coasterbill wrote:
ASE wrote:BTW, is Dollywood now paying news stations in major cities to do stories on them? Just noticed this one in Atlanta, which threw in Dolly’s shows and Splash Country as well at the end. I got about halfway through the article and thought, “good grief this sound like PR” and sure enough there it was at the bottom. Sure, I’ve seen paid ads and commercials before, but never entire news segments.

They're called advertorials and they've been popular for years. People are far more likely to read them than normal ads so companies pay a premium for them.

This is closer to what we call “native advertising” but it surprised me that it was an actual video news segment and not disclosed within the video. It was only disclosed in the written article on the station’s website.

Just caught me off guard...I’ve seen a LOT more “sponsored by Dollywood” posts from bloggers this year, but this was the first full “news story” I’ve seen.

I love donkeys more than me.

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:32 am

Where are the parks with the super short season pass processing lines? Man, I wish, I wish that on the occasions that Cedar Point screwed up my season pass renewal I didn't have to wait an hour to get inside and have them fix it (it's been two of the last 3 years and I kinda expect it to happen again). It's a really busy park.

I feel for the people who might want to redeem a VIP Pass on a day when the parking lot is entirely full, but they're also trying to redeem when the parking lot is entirely full and are locals. They can go almost any day.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby dstephe9 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:30 am

DirkFunk wrote:Where are the parks with the super short season pass processing lines? Man, I wish, I wish that on the occasions that Cedar Point screwed up my season pass renewal I didn't have to wait an hour to get inside and have them fix it (it's been two of the last 3 years and I kinda expect it to happen again). It's a really busy park.

I feel for the people who might want to redeem a VIP Pass on a day when the parking lot is entirely full, but they're also trying to redeem when the parking lot is entirely full and are locals. They can go almost any day.
When dollywood had a season pass processing center, the lines were fairly short. Now that building sits closed.. This is it's second or third year closed now? I guess what it comes down to is Dollywood is trying to do more with fewer windows and staff.. I don't think it's a staffing issue but a cost cutting issue. Even when the park is fully staffed they no longer have a processing center for season passes and keep that building closed.. if it is opened, it's just selling tickets and the other ticket building is closed. Same with guest services (which is now just another ticket line with a fancy name) and VIP window is gone. And when I was there the upgrade center was open but it sounds like they didn't keep it open all week.

With that being said, Disney processes season passes at regular ticket windows (but they normally have all open, even in their slower parks on slower days). Plus if you don't want the yellow card, the magic bands, at least mine were, already activated when they arrived at my home. I didn't get my card for 2 days, and only got it for my discounts. Six flags no longer has season pass windows but their passes don't require processing unless you need to add a feature to them and a lot of those features can be added online. Blank card with a barcode and they use biometric.

Maybe that's a solution. Go away from photo cards and go to NFC with biometric. Or just a blank card with barcode and you activate it yourself using an app. Then have the upgrade center available for those who can't activate it. Seems to be working fine for six flags now plus it pushes people to your app. Even if Dollywood wants to activate it at the ticket window at least you save 2 - 3 minutes per person not needing your photo or the card to print.. I'm sure there are reasons Disney never went to photo cards.

I wonder how many folks gave up on Thursday and just decided not to upgrade their passes because the upgrade center inside the park was closed?

There are simple solutions, other parks use these solutions.. If they simply can't get the staff or if it's cost cutting, there are solutions out there. Dollywood at times just seems stuck in their ways and as the park gets more crowded they need to learn how to handle those crowds or change some of their policies and ways.

We can clearly see that their ways currently aren't working very well and if they continue to grow it's just going to get worse.

A pro tip though, you can also process your season pass in the old yellow information building on the parkway! I have never done it but do have a friend who did that for their family. Not sure when it's open. And your results might be different

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Djwadeknox » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:02 am

Dollywood is running a Thrills in the Hills Logo contest

https://basicfront.easypromosapp.com/p/922051
Dollywood Rocks and I like turtles!

Postby bert425 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:32 am

dstephe9 wrote:Also like I said they did away with the season pass processing center a few years ago. A few times last year they had windows just for processing season passes but I have yet to notice them this year (doesn't mean they haven't had them on days I wasn't there). I know the day I processed my wife's we had to wait in the regular ticket line. Hers was purchased online. Also last Saturday they were pointing people to the regular ticket line to process.

You can process in park at the upgrade center but it's line is just as long

So basically, even if you buy online, if it's a season pass you still wait. My wife's sister gets those local VIP tickets as well and I do remember her last year having her own line.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas did away w/ the Season Pass processing center years ago too (not sure if that's true of all Six Flags parks).

what they do now, is they give you your pass when you enter the park the 1st time (you scan your index finger, the gate attendant pulls out a card, scans it to tie it to your fingerprint, and then writes your name on it with Sharpie).

We did not wait in any ticket booth lines, just walked up to the entrance gates, with the printout from online showing we bought the passes.

tacky? yep. . but took seconds. (and if you want to link it to an online app, you don't even need to bring the card each time).
the only wait we had was to activate the season dining pass, that was a line in a separate location.

but to get the pass? took seconds during initial entry.

maybe Dollywood would move to something like this?

but as others said, at the end of the day, you're at a theme park. So I don't get the complaining, and tend not to.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby komasixx » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:39 pm

Well. In other news the Buzzard is back

Postby coasterbill » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:44 pm

komasixx wrote:Well. In other news the Buzzard is back

Thank god. That buzzard is my dude.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!