Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1541 - Splash Battle to be removed for 2018
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby dstephe9 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:43 am

bluestreak wrote:I wish they would get a shooting dark ride and theme it around like a spirit that's haunting the smokies.

I think when and if they do open one, it will be shooting if not just to compete with Justice League at SFOG but also the shooting rides at Disney are some of the most popular with families

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:45 am

dstephe9 wrote:Blazing Fury has lost so many elements and scenes over the years, it's kind of hard to make out the story now even though it is a great ride and I hope it stays for years to come!

They just re-tracked the entire thing and did a ton of work on interior of the building so it's not going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

Postby dstephe9 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:20 am

Exactly and the fixed the old ladies broken arm that was broken for years haha

Are you sure they did the entire track though? I remember the video about it a few years ago and they mentioned only doing the drops. Not saying they didn't do the entire thing, I just don't remember it haha

Postby coasterbill » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:35 am

I don't remember if it was every single section of track but I know they did a ton of work. Apparently the water inside the building had taken a major toll on everything so I know it was a pretty comprehensive refurbishment.

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:17 am

coasterbill wrote:I don't remember if it was every single section of track but I know they did a ton of work. Apparently the water inside the building had taken a major toll on everything so I know it was a pretty comprehensive refurbishment.

Makes me wonder when/if SDC will do something similar to Fire In the hole?
Bigger is not always better.

Postby dstephe9 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:46 am

coasterbill wrote:I don't remember if it was every single section of track but I know they did a ton of work. Apparently the water inside the building had taken a major toll on everything so I know it was a pretty comprehensive refurbishment.

Yeah I'm not sure either.. I know the last section with the drops was redone.. the video was funny because it was actually when RMC was redoing a lot of coasters so the maintenance guy was like "I don't want any rumors to be started, but RMC is here working on Blazing Fury".. this was a year before LR was announced I believe.. maybe 2 years, not sure

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:31 pm

DoinItForTheFame wrote:

Makes me wonder when/if SDC will do something similar to Fire In the hole?

FITH was refurbed in 2007. Trackwork, new animatronics, the whole thing. Glad to see Blazing Fury got the same treatment.

Oh, and for those asking for a Disney-quality dark ride, you're looking at one. Fire in the Hole and Blazing Fury were developed in conjunction with the Disney imagineers. In the 1970s, this is exactly what Disney rides looked like.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Postby dstephe9 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:22 pm

Exactly, the key phrase is what they looked like in 1970.. almost 50 years ago.. even the originals at Disney look light years ahead of BF now.. It's time for a modern dark ride for Dollywood in my opinion. I'm not sure Dollywood a ever got new animatronics for BF, they just repaired the broken ones (yes the old lady who "has been kissing that steam train" had a broken arm for years it seemed haha) but the new trackwork was very welcomed.. the hills are now so smooth!

I love BF and not saying it's a bad ride, just saying it's time for Dollywood to build a new ride to go with it :) it's actually one of the only rides I ride pretty much every visit.

Me, personally, I love boat rides.. I'd love a modern flooded mine.. or maybe incorporate the "haunted aspect" like someone mentioned above and do a haunted flooded cave.. or maybe just a cute boat ride of some type

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby Djwadeknox » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:15 pm

Dollywood had a behind the scenes tour today for media. Should have a full report on the six o'clock news. Bad news for those that like those huge slices of Pizza at Lumber Jack. This year much smaller Personal pan pizzas to help make the lines move faster. Also the backstage is being totally redone to be the front porch cafe. Kinda of farm style restaurant with locally sourced products.. They are going over 225 improvement projects throughout the park during the off season. The low end on a project is 5000 and then it goes up from there. Spending a few million total just on improvements to the park. I will post a video report when it is posted on the news stations. Nothing going vertical yet for the drop tower.

Edit adding link to know news paper. http://knoxne.ws/2k8zAdE

New video http://wate.com/2017/02/09/dollywood-adding-new-attractions-helping-sevier-county-economy/

Another local station video http://www.wbir.com/mb/news/local/dollywood-offers-sneak-peak-at-upcoming-attractions/406544698
Last edited by Djwadeknox on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:07 pm.
Dollywood Rocks and I like turtles!

Postby dstephe9 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:38 pm

No more large pizza is the worse news ever! That's why the line was so long there.. now it'll be no different than the other pizza joint.. that rlly didn't not make my night haha.. the lines where never super long like a lot of restaurants.. I bet it also has to do with cost cutting.. but I really loved the restaurant

Hopefully it's still made the same way and not some cheap personal pan style tiny pizza.. if the flavor is still the same and still that stone baked pizza style I'm sure I'll still enjoy it but the novelty of a large slice of pizza is gone. I always see families buying the entire pizza and just see their face when they bring it out haha.

Curious to hear about other projects.. I know they planned to do a lot of remodeling this year.. A lot of the park needed a facelift and it sounds like they are getting one.. glad to hear they are moving a lot of AC units to rooftops and out of sight..

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!