Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1413 - Grand Opening/Media Event for Drop Line!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby Big Papa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:40 pm

With the new pull tabs could two people use tabs from one band at the same time? If so that might be a good option on not so busy days if only FCE, LR and WE had lines that you would need to skip.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby dstephe9 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Big Papa wrote:With the new pull tabs could two people use tabs from one band at the same time? If so that might be a good option on not so busy days if only FCE, LR and WE had lines that you would need to skip.

I assume you could, I didn't check the pricing, but in the past i thought Dollywood allowed you to include several people without much of a fee, if any fee at all.. Dollywood isn't like six flags where it's $35 for one person, $60 for two and so on.. So not really sure how much you would save with only one ba d

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Last edited by dstephe9 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 pm.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby STDog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:58 pm

DW was always a per person fee, but what persons wasn't really controlled. You paid for 2 people, it could in theory be any two; the person with the bot and another. And it was $35/person.

The bot had a belt clip and could easily be passed around.

Not sure, but i don't think the new bands can​ be taken on and off repeatedly. And you have to be wearing the band when they remove the tab.

Postby dstephe9 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:09 pm

Wow I didn't know DWs was that expensive.. I never paid for Dollywoods and only used it once when a friend had it.. people talk about the great deal it is but at $35/person, that's no different than the six flags over GA cost (the price with a season pass anyways, heck I have had random coupons for buy one person get one free at sfog) they didn't control the people either.. the bot just said 2 or 3 or how many ever were on it

I guess I have a different opinion of what a good deal is haha!

Postby STDog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:34 pm

dstephe9 wrote:Wow I didn't know DWs was that expensive.. I never paid for Dollywoods and only used it once when a friend had it.. people talk about the great deal it is but at $35/person, that's no different than the six flags over GA cost (the price with a season pass anyways) they didn't control the people either.. the bot just said 2 or 3 or how many ever were on it

I believe the Gold pass discount was taken off the $35 (and I may be a bit off on the price). But I did look into it once, and decided it wasn't worth it with 3 or 4 people. With 2 on a really busy day it might have been worth it for the coasters. But it was never busy enough after that for me to try it.

I did find a few old posts, like this from 2007 http://www.themeparkinsider.com/news/response.cfm?ID=3574
Where it was $10 for one and $5 for additional people.

I found another (https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g55270-d103537-r156828997-Dollywood-Pigeon_Forge_Tennessee.html)
that said it had gone up to $20/person by 2013 (around the time I first looked into it), and I think it was $35pp last season. And in previous years it was the full 20% Gold pass discount, but I think only $5 off this year.

Just another one of the DW things that has increased greatly in recent years.
Oh and the new season pass prices, regular pass $108 vs/ $103 last week. So they have increased twice since Nov.
2017 Season Passes (Quantities 1-3) (Super Regular) $148 $152
2017 Season Passes (Quantities 1-3) (Super Gold) $200 $204
2017 Season Passes (Quantities 1-3) (Regular) $99 $103
2017 Season Passes (Quantities 1-3) (Gold) $151 $155

And Super Gold is up to $209 now.
So another $5 on top of the $4 increase in Jan.

That $108 price will probably last through Jan again.
Last edited by STDog on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:21 pm.

Postby dstephe9 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:13 pm

Season passes have gone way up over the years. With the new prices we are talking almost 25% in the last 4 years. When you look at it that way, it's a lot. For me it was over $400 for 2 super passes this year.. one was gold but still. Just a few years ago, the regular pass (not super and not gold) was only a little over $80.. $84 in 2014 to be exact. (Found the receipt in my email, purchased mid March 2014 so this is likely after a price increase already)

Now, don't get me wrong, I'll get my money's worth out of these passes but the concerns over price that some folks have, I see it as a true concern.. heck, people even post on the Dollywood Facebook that they might as well go to Disney rather than buying Dollywood season passes.. my last trip to Disney for two, tickets cost around $400 total for 4 days in the parks with parkhopper. That's only $200/each! I got a good deal but still. (this was the price for tickets in a package from Disney plus 17 off each ticket everyday with my Disney Credit Card with a code that came in my email).. I still find the Dollywood passes a decent value, but the concerns some folks have over price is a good one. I know other parks are increasing in price as well (aside from six flags and I have paid the $4.50/month membership for like 4 years now) but you have to be careful not to price yourself out of the market by pricing high enough to make folks consider spending their money on other vacation ideas vs season tickets at Dollywood

Sounds like Dollywoods timesaver system was a good deal, and still is a decent deal, but it has greatly increased in prices it looks like.. At $35/person, I don't think it's an outstanding deal but a decent one for those who don't travel to the park often.

Seems like SFOG flash pass is $45/person this season (same as last I believe) but they usually have $10/off person coupons attached to the season pass making theirs a decent deal as well.. I usually buy it at SFOG.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby BellasMom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:32 pm

The timesaver was $30 per person last year and $25 per person in 2015. My family would occasionally get one for 2 people if we were there on a really busy day. My daughter loves river rampage and if my neice was with us she wanted to ride firechaser a bunch.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby drummermattk » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:02 pm

So plans have changed, and I will most likely be at the park for a hlaf day on April 5th, and a full day on the 6th. This will be my first time at the park and I will be sure to hit every coaster (or try to) and does anyone know if schools will still be in session? also what order to hit the coasters, and a good cheap place to eat, and buy souvenirs.
Top 5 Steel: 1.Banshee 2. Maverick 3. Storm Chaser 4. Millennium Force 5. Lightning Run
Top 5 Woodies: 1.Voyage 2. Lightning Rod 3.Beast 4.Legend 5.Raven
check out CoasterMatt Productions: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCEIBVYHqjtsfqAHCCO0mzQ/videosImage

Postby STDog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:37 pm

drummermattk wrote: also what order to hit the coasters, and a good cheap place to eat, and buy souvenirs.

What are you looking for on the coaster order? Worst to best? Best order to get them all in quick?

LR will be the longest line, but after it everything else may feel less than, especially the first few after.

All the inside food places at DW are good at a decent price. Aunt Grannie's, Mrs. Lillian's, Ham & Beans, and the new Front Porch.
In park souvineers are all the same prices.

Out in town there's a ton of choices.
Lots of cheap souvineers too, buy more Smoky Mountain/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg stuff.

Postby STDog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:51 pm

dstephe9 wrote:Now, don't get me wrong, I'll get my money's worth out of these passes but the concerns over price that some folks have, I see it as a true concern.. heck, people even post on the Dollywood Facebook that they might as well go to Disney rather than buying Dollywood season passes.

Through work I can get discount Disney tickets, Nothing like what you mentioned though. Closer to $400 per person for 4 day hopper.

But I can visit the Smokies 3-4 times for a week each cheaper than I can do Disney for just one week.

And I can do a lot more in the Mountains too. For free.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!