Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1413 - Grand Opening/Media Event for Drop Line!
Users viewing this topic: DJeXeL, Firechaser, harsaphes and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby SFOG1991 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:34 pm

Based on pictures, it looks like they are just cutting into the inside of each curve to make it wider and reduce the u turn after u turn of the pathway. I don't think they are straightening it completely at all.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby STDog » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:13 pm

mordecai-75 wrote:^ Personally i have always found that walk way to be a little bland and boring.

It's just a nice relaxing stroll, at least on the not so busy days that I'm typically there.

And it harkens to a different era of the park. Like life, it seamed simpler then.

Maybe add a separate path for those just wanting the fastest route from A to B. But DW isn't about fast paced A - B movement like so many other parks.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby dstephe9 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:57 am

The switchbacks help with the hill.. makes it less noticeable and might be needed to be ADA accessable (not sure on the ADA part)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Devins3 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:08 pm

^ I remember Pete saying that on a podcast a few years ago. That also being the hardest part about expanding into the train loop on top of the hill.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby LukeFlynn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:32 am

I've always liked the walk up to Timber Canyon, but in recent years (especially after Wild Eagle was added), the walk way has had a tendency to get jammed.

I wish they would liven up the connector they added several years back that bridged Timber Canyon with Craftsmen's Valley/Tennessee Tornado. It feels pretty bland, adding FireChaser helped, but it's still a dull walk. That said, I'm not complaining they added it, it was a pain walking all the way to the other side of the park for TT. I'm no t really sure how they could make it better, but it needs foliage or something.
Dear God, the Donkeys are invading my life.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Vonni » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:33 pm

^ I find it odd that anything in DW, or even in the Smokey Mountains for that matter, could be described as "dull".

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby dstephe9 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:56 am

The one section he talks about is very dull.. they don't even put Christmas lights up there and music is on/off there.. but I am glad there is a connector so that I don't have to walk around lol!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby thisdougsforu » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:21 pm

Near the end of May my wife and I are taking a vacation to Myrtle Beach in South Carolina (can't wait to ride Swamp Fox!), and in the routing back home we've allowed for a full day's visit to Dollywood....on the Saturday of Memorial Weekend. Yes, I'm guessing that's probably one of the worst days we could pick to try and do the coasters but hey, it was either that or not visit and I desperately want to ride Lightning Rod!

Assuming we get to the park as soon as it opens, any tricks or routes I should follow? This will be our first trip to the park.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby SFOG1991 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:32 pm

^Arrive early if possible. The morning is a great time at the park. Buy Time Saver. Go to Lightning Rod first because honestly you need to ride it immediately if it is open in case it goes down. The other rides in the park are all very reliable.

DO NOT MISS Mountain Slidewinder. All of the water attractions are great but that is an awesome and unique ride.

I would suggest trying Splash Country because it is one of the nicest water parks anywhere and the water coaster is very good (along with many other slides) but if you only have a day that is probably out of the question.

If you can extend the trip, two days is really ideal. Also, the park offers a heck of a deal on the 2 Park 3 Day ticket.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby mckayj93 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:59 pm

Just found out I don't have work opening weekend. I know opening day is the 18th, but where is the info on season passholders for the 17th? Any tips for opening weekend?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!