TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Any news about LR? Two weeks until September. For some reason I feel if it’s not open by mid September/October they’ll close it for the remainder of the season.

I believe they had already stated it was gonna be closed down for the rest of the season for some major overhaul work?

Some folks say ride ops have told them it's down the rest of the season but can't trust ride ops. No one in management or leadership at the park has said anything that I have seen

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Pete Owens said in that video that despite rumors, they aren’t putting a chain lift on it and the launch works great, and that he is not gonna name names on who spread those rumors. They are working on other areas of the ride for a long fix, and once they feel it’s right, and finished safety check then it will reopen.

Nothing about it being closed for the rest of the season.

So Unless it’s posted or announced by Dollywood, or said in an interview by someone like Craig or Pete. Anything else is speculation or false rumors.

Plus, operators and maintenance that work on the ride are the only people who are allowed to know anything about it, and they aren’t allowed to say anything like that. So if you hear something from an op on any other ride, they really don’t fully know what’s going on.

Never again will I complain about DW, especially ride ops.

I was at Six Flags NE yesterday. Operations were really slow with no good reason for it.

My last SF park was Texas 6yrs ago and though a slow day the ops were on top of things. Yesterday was just bad.

DW has me spoiled.

3 of 8 coasters were down all day (2 apparently all year).

None of the 5 running were particularly memorable. Especially disappointed in Wicked Cyclone. I hope Twisted Cyclone fairs better when I get to ride it.

Really makes you appreciate how special DW's rides are.

Never again will I complain about DW, especially ride ops.

I was at Six Flags NE yesterday. Operations were really slow with no good reason for it.

My last SF park was Texas 6yrs ago and though a slow day the ops were on top of things. Yesterday was just bad.

DW has me spoiled.

3 of 8 coasters were down all day (2 apparently all year).

None of the 5 running were particularly memorable. Especially disappointed in Wicked Cyclone. I hope Twisted Cyclone fairs better when I get to ride it.

Really makes you appreciate how special DW's rides are.

I hear you. I love the theming and uniqueness of DW's rides (especially Mystery Mine). I hope we get an awesome dark ride someday to add to Blazing Fury and Mystery Mine

Several locals said it had been down every time they'd been. Just going with what they said.

Was spur of the moment, business wrapped early. Didn't realize how close I was or research any. Just hit the park cold, arriving around 3:00.

Edited by TEDodd

When I was at Dollywood in the beginning of the month, I was told by workers that they were putting new track on part of the ride. I can only assume it would be the drop as that's the roughest part of the ride. What do you guys think?

That's been the rumor I've been hearing all summer. they are repairing the "Speed Bump" and the seats are getting more padding. For as easy as it is to get into the employee lot and see the drop, you would think someone would have pictures by now.

The speed bump is another one of those rumors that popped up in enthusiast groups. While yes, there is a bump and the bump is rough, and while Pete has mentioned they fixed the bump once, there has been nothing official to confirm that's the portion of the track they are working on. Last time they repair this part of the track, the ride wasn't down this long.. there's a large possibility that they are working on the ride elsewhere and that's why no pictures have shown up

For as easy as it is to get into the employee lot and see the drop, you would think someone would have pictures by now.

Forgot to post. I looked the 1st weekend of Aug. Couldn't see anythIng noteworthy.

I'm heading to Dollywood in a few weeks (on a friday) for the first time since 2001. Any advice on what to hit first and what direction I should go?

Also, if there is any advice you can give on discounts and where to find them. Also, we will most likely have one meal there... what would you all suggest?

I'm heading to Dollywood in a few weeks (on a friday) for the first time since 2001. Any advice on what to hit first and what direction I should go?

Also, if there is any advice you can give on discounts and where to find them. Also, we will most likely have one meal there... what would you all suggest?

A Friday once school is in will be pretty dead. the crowd may pick up in the evening, but I would expect a walk on for most. If you are there mainly for the coasters, go left as you enter and make your way around the park counter clockwise. Be sure to take in the atmosphere and take your time there. Lightning Rod is pretty much down for the rest of the year so I wouldn't worry about rushing there.

Dollywood is known for their food, there really is not a bad place to get food there. Some say the Pizza is lackluster. I personally eat at Aunt Granny's Buffet it costs almost the same to eat there as some of the food stands. The most popular place to eat at the park is Red's, which is basically a Jonny Rockets. But whatever you do, whatever you eat.... the Cinnamon Bread !!! You will thank me later.

In terms of discounts, Dollywood doesn't have many coupons out there.Military ,senior, certain employers, etc. are some discounts they offer. They really push the season pass if you're gonna be there more than one day.

Couple of tips: If your hotel is near a trolley stop, look into that. It would save you on parking. - Most rides have places to store belongings when you ride. I carry all my stuff in a string backpack and just store it while I ride. No need to rent lockers. - Most people don't know this but all food stands will give you free water. don't buy water there. If you bring your own cup, they will fill it for you.

Two things;

1. I heard a rumor that Lightning Rod is supposed to open back up on Labor Day. That the coaster has been fixed for a few weeks, that they have just been waiting for the all clear from RMC.

2. Carowinds Copperhead Strike? I would LOVE if Dollywood got something like this for 2020! Give it a dark ride portion like Mystery Mine, some twists and turns, with a Smoky Mountain twist. Plus have you seen how much land is left to develop for Phase 2 of this expansion? I feel the next big coaster will go there. In total it’s like a 13/14 acre expansion. Wildwood Grove is 5 acres.

Two things;

1. I heard a rumor that Lightning Rod is supposed to open back up on Labor Day. That the coaster has been fixed for a few weeks, that they have just been waiting for the all clear from RMC.

2. Carowinds Copperhead Strike? I would LOVE if Dollywood got something like this for 2020! Give it a dark ride portion like Mystery Mine, some twists and turns, with a Smoky Mountain twist. Plus have you seen how much land is left to develop for Phase 2 of this expansion? I feel the next big coaster will go there. In total it’s like a 13/14 acre expansion. Wildwood Grove is 5 acres.

If you follow the pattern between SDC and DW you will find that whatever SDC gets, Dollywood will get a few years later. Since the opening of Time Traveler, most are speculating Dollywood will get a Mack in in the expansion. If you watch the coaster parody of Time Traveler, Tyler makes a joke of it at the end of the video. personally, it sounds highly likely that this will happen. My only concern is if Carowinds puts a no compete agreement when Copperhead strike is built. I guess we will have to wait and see.

The rumor as to why Dollywood and SDC do what they do is because they buy the coasters or rides in pairs for a better deal.. again, just a rumor, but if that rumor is true, Dollywood possibly has the Mac ordered already and has had it ordered for a while, meaning a no compete agreement wouldn't affect Dollywood.

This is all if we ever get one and none of this has ever been confirmed by anyone, it's just speculation as to why we get the rides we do shortly after SDC.. recent though, especially with coasters, they really haven't been following that path much except with LR

Edited by dstephe9

Exactly, I’m thinking Dollywood will go the Mack route. They could do some amazing heavy theming with it. Imaginge something like Taron meets Copperhead Strike.

Also, I don’t really consider Dragonflyer their “next big coaster” addition. It just seems as something to keep the older guests/coaster enthusiasts entertained as Wildwood Grove is more tame for 2019.