TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I was there last half of the day Sunday. Everything was a walk on, it was great! Some rides including LR started shutting down around 8pm though. Something new this visit from my last one 2 weeks ago was Mystery Mine and Wild Eagle ride ops asked about my glasses. I showed them my glasses strap and that satisfied them. Never had a ride op mention glasses before, maybe it was coincidence.

This season I've read about and witnessed multiple occasions of people being asked to show glasses straps at different parks. Could just be confirmation bias on my part, but it almost makes me wonder if there's some new restriction that's being rapidly adopted among a number of parks.

I finally resorted to getting a strap for my glasses this year at CP, specifically in response to the heightened need on Steel Vengeance. Even if you buy them at the park (which I did), they aren't very costly. I don't like wearing them around everywhere, but I pop them on before the more intense rides, and then take them off when I'm done. I've been pleasantly surprised with how well they work, even on a complete maelstrom of forces like SV, and it's nice actually being able to see clearly on all coasters! I'd recommend getting some for your park-going trips, just to make things nicer for you, a fellow wearer of glasses.

I have been going to the water park in my area more often this year. I would usually put in contacts (which I hate wearing ) so I wouldn't risk losing my glasses. I decided this year to get a strap and it has been great. I intend to use it for future roller coaster rides at theme parks or really just for a whole theme park visit in general. I just like my glasses as they have transition lenses and the strap takes the worry out of the risk of losing them and I can still see everything lol. Come on with the 2019 announcement already I thought it was going to be early this year. August is sort of normal right? I am hoping we get it between now and the end of July but if not it is a lesson in patience.

This season I've read about and witnessed multiple occasions of people being asked to show glasses straps at different parks. Could just be confirmation bias on my part, but it almost makes me wonder if there's some new restriction that's being rapidly adopted among a number of parks.

When I was at Cedar Point a few weeks ago I wore my sunglasses almost the entire time. Sometimes they would ask if I had a strap and sometimes they wouldn't, but it's obviously possible that they were still looking even when they didn't ask. They've had that as a rule for at least a couple years now so I bought a strap for like $4 when I got to the park.

But at Kings Island the day before I wore them without a strap on a lot of rides and never got questioned once.

I got my current pair of glasses last October. I never thought about the glasses on rides because they were so tight on my face, my new ones are much bigger. Bought a strap and glad I did, I could tell it was needed, especially Lightning Rod. I'm fine with parks asking and checking, just hope I can keep them on. My eyes are too bad for contacts, I wouldn't be able to see anything riding without my glasses.

Just so you're aware, they don't allow glasses even with a strap on Drop Line. Everything else the strap was cool.

When did they implement this rule? We have visited several times last year and twice already this year, and never have been asked to remove our glasses.

http://m.tmz.com/?viewer_country=US#!article/2018/06/22/dollywood-sued-family-serious-spine-injury-water-ride/

Take it as you will because originally posted by TMZ but it's showing up other places now.

I know this same complaint and even a death from a similar ride has popped up originally so I wonder how much those complaints have fed into this one from Dollywood

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Last week, I had my very first visit to Dollywood from the 21-22nd. Luckily, the weather was perfect on Wednesday, but Thursday was rainy and humid. The rain kept the crowds away, and I was able to get a few rides in with no wait.

I’d like to take a moment to advocate the TimeSaver. This was the very first time I had purchased a ‘virtual queue’ system at a park, and it was worth it. The TimeSaver Unlimited let me work at my own pace throughout the park as I never had to stress out about wait times. Without it, I wouldn’t have been able to be on the 2nd and 5th train of the day on Lightning Rod. Totally worth it, and it was extremely beneficial on my first day at the park.

Some quick thoughts:

Lightning Rod

This is my third RMC after New Texas Giant and Outlaw Run, and it has the same intensity that Outlaw Run has. The ride never lets up, and it has the best second half of any coaster I have ever ridden. However, it does have a noticeable rattle/shake at the bottom of the first hill. Has anyone else experienced this? Nevertheless, the ride is full of energy, has major airtime, and it’s a terrain coaster. What more could you want?

I’d also like to note that it was running two trains a few hours after park opening.

10/10

Mystery Mine

My second Euro-Fighter. This ride has my favorite theming in the park, and the custom music for Mystery Mine is a nice touch. The first half of the ride was rougher than expected, but I still enjoyed the back half and the dark ride elements.

8/10

Wild Eagle

This is my very first wing coaster, and I honestly didn’t know what to expect from the ride. Based on past reports, it seems that wing coasters are very tame and force-less. However, I actually enjoyed Wild Eagle, and it didn’t seem force-less to me. The restraints never gave me any problems either. I preferred the right side.

7/10

FireChaser Express

Loved the setting, and unique backwards launch. I never experienced any airtime throughout the ride, but the theming, backwards launch, and length made up for it. This is the perfect family coaster.

7/10

Tennessee Tornado

This is one of the smoothest Arrow coasters I have ridden. It packs quite a punch without leaving me aching. I only rode it once in the front, so I can’t say what the ride experience is like elsewhere.

7/10

Thunderhead

This ride was quite rough, but it was full of energy and had quite a few pops of airtime. I’m still kicking myself for not riding Thunderhead on the second day when it was raining. I’m curious as to how it rides on a wet track.

6/10

482A5631.jpg.747d815ed052e9b3140d1df80a6ae8ef.jpg

After going to Silver Dollar City, I was aching to see how Dollywood compares!

482A5660.jpg.daa3f3b21adff2d9f300be38df1c4525.jpg

Lightning Rod delivers.

482A5459.jpg.792b050179cce878d9b977608fba82e8.jpg

A tad outdated, but still has charm.

482A5530.jpg.7ebcc3ec08505e89ff8fe2b8bd8ca619.jpg

Loved the fire station theming!

482A5569.jpg.dbdc76f42854b7da1e7aa6d0d2a15705.jpg

There's some heavy construction going on in the area, but I couldn't get enough of the theming/music.

482A5580.jpg.1a72b92c7a0d5a61f334396d842ad147.jpg

Decent drop ride with a good view.

482A5649.jpg.581cd5cf62c13ce9dfad0d4625e956ea.jpg

Loved the back half of Lightning Rod.

482A5696.thumb.jpg.0046f8583260facf3ea8ec4db93d141b.jpg

No trip is complete without a visit here. Don't forget to order the frosting!

482A5746.jpg.bbce800fe78f0632223720834b80bda2.jpg

One of the various entertainers throughout Dollywood.

^ Great Quick Trip TR of your visit there! You hit everything right, as far as I could see and read.

Thanks for sharing your visit.....and sharing The Bread (not).

Last week, I had my very first visit to Dollywood from the 21-22nd. Luckily, the weather was perfect on Wednesday, but Thursday was rainy and humid. The rain kept the crowds away, and I was able to get a few rides in with no wait.

I’d like to take a moment to advocate the TimeSaver. This was the very first time I had purchased a ‘virtual queue’ system at a park, and it was worth it. The TimeSaver Unlimited let me work at my own pace throughout the park as I never had to stress out about wait times. Without it, I wouldn’t have been able to be on the 2nd and 5th train of the day on Lightning Rod. Totally worth it, and it was extremely beneficial on my first day at the park.

Some quick thoughts:

Lightning Rod

This is my third RMC after New Texas Giant and Outlaw Run, and it has the same intensity that Outlaw Run has. The ride never lets up, and it has the best second half of any coaster I have ever ridden. However, it does have a noticeable rattle/shake at the bottom of the first hill. Has anyone else experienced this? Nevertheless, the ride is full of energy, has major airtime, and it’s a terrain coaster. What more could you want?

I’d also like to note that it was running two trains a few hours after park opening.

10/10

Mystery Mine

My second Euro-Fighter. This ride has my favorite theming in the park, and the custom music for Mystery Mine is a nice touch. The first half of the ride was rougher than expected, but I still enjoyed the back half and the dark ride elements.

8/10

Wild Eagle

This is my very first wing coaster, and I honestly didn’t know what to expect from the ride. Based on past reports, it seems that wing coasters are very tame and force-less. However, I actually enjoyed Wild Eagle, and it didn’t seem force-less to me. The restraints never gave me any problems either. I preferred the right side.

7/10

FireChaser Express

Loved the setting, and unique backwards launch. I never experienced any airtime throughout the ride, but the theming, backwards launch, and length made up for it. This is the perfect family coaster.

7/10

Tennessee Tornado

This is one of the smoothest Arrow coasters I have ridden. It packs quite a punch without leaving me aching. I only rode it once in the front, so I can’t say what the ride experience is like elsewhere.

7/10

Thunderhead

This ride was quite rough, but it was full of energy and had quite a few pops of airtime. I’m still kicking myself for not riding Thunderhead on the second day when it was raining. I’m curious as to how it rides on a wet track.

6/10

So did you get unlimited rides on Lightningrod with time saver or was is it like one time only, because that is what the website states....?

So did you get unlimited rides on Lightningrod with time saver or was is it like one time only, because that is what the website states....?

Timesaver Unlimited gives you unlimited rides on Lightning Rod, regular Timesaver gives you one ride, unless you forego dropline and then you can go a second time.

Timesaver Unlimited gives you unlimited rides on Lightning Rod, regular Timesaver gives you one ride, unless you forego dropline and then you can go a second time.

Yeah, sounds logical, but the website tells something different:

""TimeSaver - For rides, enjoy using expedited entrances ten times throughout the day at your choice of TimeSaver attractions. Your combination of ten rides can include ten different TimeSaver attractions, or you can ride your favorite rides* up to ten times. For theaters, enjoy unlimited daily show reservations.

TimeSaver Unlimited – Allows unlimited access to expedited entrances at your choice of participating TimeSaver attractions* and unlimited show reservations at participating theaters.

*Which rides and shows are eligible for TimeSaver?

Rides - Your choice of ten different attractions or ride your favorite rides up to ten times.

Barnstormer

Dizzy Disk

FireChaser Express

Mystery Mine

Sky Rider

Smoky Mountain River Rampage

Tennessee Tornado

Thunderhead

Waltzing Swinger

Wild Eagle

Drop Line (limit one ride per person)

Lightning Rod ® (limit one ride per person)""

It's not the clearest description.

plain Timesaver is 10 uses total, but only 2 can be used for LR or DL.

Unlimited is unlimited use on all rides with TS queue.

(both included unlimited show access)

Does anyone know the reason why Dollywood has the park open one day in August and then closed the next day in August. It seems as if the Park and Water park are never open on the same day. It seems a bit strange.

August was very slow for them last year from what I recall.. I had a lot of trips to Dollywood and Splash last Aug and there were days at Splash we parked right beside the gate and the park was nearly empty.. if the season is going well, they sometimes add extra days in August. This happened a few years ago so it's possible one or the other will end up opening those days in Aug

From what I have heard from some of the tourism folks that work for the city, they seem to think that Dollywood is having a disappointing season again this year. Although, it seems busier on days I have visited, maybe it isn't.

The area itself seems to be having a record season according to the same tourism folks. Keep in mind, Dollywood might not report official numbers to the city though

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I hope Dollywood is having some good seasons. It seems they must to be able to do their largest expansion ever next year. I was thinking they paid as they went and didn't take out loans so if they have a bad season or two I bet that could delay things.

Does anyone know the reason why Dollywood has the park open one day in August and then closed the next day in August. It seems as if the Park and Water park are never open on the same day. It seems a bit strange.

Happens every year. Dollywood and Dollywood’s Splash Country in August alternate on and off besides the weekends.

That being said Dollywood is open way more than most theme/amusement parks that time of yea

Visited on Thurs. Only one train running on LR. Waits were 45 to 60mins. On Sat they had 2 trains running after noon. Posted wait time said 10mins but was more like 30. Went down for maintenance around 2pm for about 30mins.

Firechaser on Thurs was 30min wait and was a great ride. Whole family loved the theme. It did close for about 25 mins when we were in the start house due to the fireworks trucks driving the night's supplies up the road.

Wild Eagle was never more than a 10 minute wait. Often it was only that long due to slow load cycles.

My kids loved Thunderhead. I rode it once and passed. It qas rough for me.

Splash country was more fun that we,thought it would be. We have Schlittterbahn so are spoiled