TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Also like I said they did away with the season pass processing center a few years ago. A few times last year they had windows just for processing season passes but I have yet to notice them this year (doesn't mean they haven't had them on days I wasn't there). I know the day I processed my wife's we had to wait in the regular ticket line. Hers was purchased online. Also last Saturday they were pointing people to the regular ticket line to process.

You can process in park at the upgrade center but it's line is just as long

So basically, even if you buy online, if it's a season pass you still wait. My wife's sister gets those local VIP tickets as well and I do remember her last year having her own line.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas did away w/ the Season Pass processing center years ago too (not sure if that's true of all Six Flags parks).

what they do now, is they give you your pass when you enter the park the 1st time (you scan your index finger, the gate attendant pulls out a card, scans it to tie it to your fingerprint, and then writes your name on it with Sharpie).

We did not wait in any ticket booth lines, just walked up to the entrance gates, with the printout from online showing we bought the passes.

tacky? yep. . but took seconds. (and if you want to link it to an online app, you don't even need to bring the card each time).

the only wait we had was to activate the season dining pass, that was a line in a separate location.

but to get the pass? took seconds during initial entry.

maybe Dollywood would move to something like this?

but as others said, at the end of the day, you're at a theme park. So I don't get the complaining, and tend not to.

Yup six flags over GA went to the same method..guess who else just writes your name on a card?

It is a very good solution in my mind if they want to keep the processing center closed.

While Disney makes you get your card at a ticket Window, SFOG does theirs the same way as the Six Flags you posted.. very fast! And I also have my six flags card linked to my phone and the six flags app. I'm sure the writing of the name speed everything up

2450c545dabe00863df83313f10ccfdc.jpgf049c04f1791a18e0e759d3385abdce5.jpg

Glad the bird is back! Is he talking?!?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Also like I said they did away with the season pass processing center a few years ago. A few times last year they had windows just for processing season passes but I have yet to notice them this year (doesn't mean they haven't had them on days I wasn't there). I know the day I processed my wife's we had to wait in the regular ticket line. Hers was purchased online. Also last Saturday they were pointing people to the regular ticket line to process.

You can process in park at the upgrade center but it's line is just as long

So basically, even if you buy online, if it's a season pass you still wait. My wife's sister gets those local VIP tickets as well and I do remember her last year having her own line.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas did away w/ the Season Pass processing center years ago too (not sure if that's true of all Six Flags parks).

what they do now, is they give you your pass when you enter the park the 1st time (you scan your index finger, the gate attendant pulls out a card, scans it to tie it to your fingerprint, and then writes your name on it with Sharpie).

We did not wait in any ticket booth lines, just walked up to the entrance gates, with the printout from online showing we bought the passes.

tacky? yep. . but took seconds. (and if you want to link it to an online app, you don't even need to bring the card each time).

the only wait we had was to activate the season dining pass, that was a line in a separate location.

but to get the pass? took seconds during initial entry.

maybe Dollywood would move to something like this?

but as others said, at the end of the day, you're at a theme park. So I don't get the complaining, and tend not to.

Yeah, Six Flags St. Louis does the same. There is still a season pass processing place in the middle of the park and at the entrance just in case you have a problem, but for the most part, it's processed on initial entry.

Where are the parks with the super short season pass processing lines? Man, I wish, I wish that on the occasions that Cedar Point screwed up my season pass renewal I didn't have to wait an hour to get inside and have them fix it (it's been two of the last 3 years and I kinda expect it to happen again). It's a really busy park.

Er....what? I bought online and renewed my Cedar Fair Platinum Pass this year at the parking booth at King's Dominion . I'm using the same card as I had last year (that was originally issued at MiA).

Ehh that wasn't written by Dollywood.. it was written by one of their influencers I believe but it is very interesting timing. I'm sure they assigned the topic though lol

Any thoughts on how crowds will be this Saturday? We were planning on going to see The Blind Boys of Alabama in the park, but apparently the Spring Rod Run is going on the 19th-21st. So, I'm not sure I want to take that 2.5 hours journey for it to be packed out at the park.

This is our first year with season passes, so we're just trying to figure out good times to go.

I just watched the POV of Laff Trakk at Hersheypark and would love a Smoky Mountain themed version at Dollywood! That would be a great indoor family coaster where you could cool off in summer and have a nice ride! Maybe that big building in the 2019 expansion could be something like that!

Wow that looks rough. Well hopefully next year it will look significantly better. I'm pretty eager to see what all these new flats will be in addition to the Family Vekoma that in my opinion looks like a blast based off the videos of Orkanen. Definitely will be a solid add to Dollywoods lineup.

Unfortunately with all the grading needed to flatten a large enough area to expand in, all trees had to be removed, I don’t see any way they could have gotten around it. I wish they would take a page from Disney’s book and plant full mature trees and build berms to encase the areas better.

Wow...there really is no helping how bare this looks is there? I don’t mean to complain and yes I know in order to expand removal of trees had to happen. It’s just in the manner they’ve done it, it makes it feel completely not Dollywood. While the rest of the park seems to have this hidden “what’s around the next turn” feel..this has an eyesore feel to it. I’m just hoping they do some serious Disney type tree transplant to help.

As far as Rod Run crowds....avoid. We always avoid Rod Run if we can every year simply because you will sit in traffic starting from Sevierville and you will sit there for 2+ hours if you’re lucky. As far as the park it has been known to pack up badly. I went once with friends and lines were all at an hour min. So put it at a peak summer day. Although the most crowded I’ve ever personally seen the park is last year’s Luminights. I was there when the fights broke out, lines were jumped, etc. It was hectic and hopefully it’s better this year. The main problem was bottlenecking up near where Firechaser/River Battle was. Lots of photo ops, kids running to coasters, characters dancing, vendors, photographers trying to get you to get a photograph...Yea messy. Beautiful but messy.

As a tree lover, it is always disappointing to see such massive land clearing. But with that being said, I know it will be a beautiful finished project. And Dollywood replants I believe two trees for every one removed.

you will sit in traffic starting from Sevierville and you will sit there for 2+ hours if you’re lucky.

I sure take the back way (Veterans off 411 east side of Sevieville instead of the Parkway.

Doesn't help with crowd at park but I generally avoid the parkway.

Last year duing rod run though, I couldn't even get to veterans! The main road was backed up pretty much to about Smoky Mountain Knife Works.

That's not far from the interstate

Last year duing rod run though, I couldn't even get to veterans! The main road was backed up pretty much to about Smoky Mountain Knife Works.

Not perfect. Still better than the parkway to the south end of Veterans.

But I've not seen 66 that bad.

haven't been there Rod Run weekend in a few years though. even then I wasn't coming down 66.

As a tree lover, it is always disappointing to see such massive land clearing. But with that being said, I know it will be a beautiful finished project. And Dollywood replants I believe two trees for every one removed.

I’ve heard that’s a policy too. Dollywood really prides itself on how it looks and how clean the park is. I wouldnt worry about it, I’m sure opening day 2019 it’ll look very good and 5 years from now you’ll never even know the difference.

The problem isn’t the amount they replant, it’s the size. They hardly plant any mature trees when replacing removed mature trees. I know mature trees are more expensive but sometimes it pays off.

It will take much longer than 5 years, Timber Canyon has just started to feel grown in over the last few years, over a decade after it was built. I don’t doubt this expansion will be beautiful and well landscaped, I just know it will still appear empty for a while. Take a look at Wilderness Pass, it’s still struggling to grow in.

I do think Dollywood does the best with what they have though, there isn’t much topsoil for the trees to root, so I assume this has a lot to do with the slow growth.

I’m still excited to see more plans released, we haven’t really got any clue to what the area will look like as far as themeing and landscaping.

The more I watch the Orkanen POV videos the more excited I get. I am so thankful Dollywood is getting an inverted coaster. I could use a mine train that weaves thru the woods like Thunderation at SDC. The older I get the more mild I seem to be getting as far as roller coasters. When I rode Wild Eagle the first time it was such a rush! I am not sure I can handle Lightning Rod lol. I was watching lots of coaster POVs and it was cool finding Big Bad John still in operation which was Thunder Express at Dollywood before Tennessee Tornado was built. I'm rambling so I'll hush just I just can't wait for more info!

Edited by neilnky