TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Thanks for the tips! I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life the movie (say everything you want), but really enjoyed the show.

I was also lucky enough to get my first rides on Lightning Rod. The coaster is absolutely nuts from start to finish. It's wild. It's smooth. It has an amazing setting. And has as much air as any coaster out there. There's no wasted track on this thing.

I already thought it was the best coaster I had ever ridden, but then it got even better in the dark. I've been on some dark coasters like the Beast and Boulder Dash, but they still have some light. Lightning Rod had none in the first half.

Thanks for the tips! I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life the movie (say everything you want), but really enjoyed the show.

Worth seeing the movie. It will fill in some blanks from the show. They skipped a lot and compressed the story.

Edited by TEDodd

Park seemed ridiculously slammed on Saturday thanks to the sunny weather and mild temps. We ended up spending a lot of time in the country fair section for rides for our littlest. LR was posting up between 60-90 minutes the entire time we were there so we ended up skipping it... and even Tennessee Tornado had a 30+ wait thanks to only one train on the track. On the plus side, the kiddo got his first B&M under his belt with Wild Eagle, and he absolutely loved it!

We are heading back today with temps forecasted to be in the high 50s by late afternoon, and considering how quickly the Parkway cleared out on Sunday night, hoping that translates to low crowds at Dollywood today as well. Heading over to Ober Gatlinburg first though to complete our set of alpine coasters in the area

It's very common to be busy this time of year in pretty days. Several times last year the park was parking guest at Splash Country during the Christmas event, especially on mild or sunny weekends

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

You made the right decision... Mystery Mine is where it's at!!

Preach

I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life the movie (say everything you want), but really enjoyed the show.

I think the movie sucks (yup... I'm the guy), but I liked the show. I liked the random music they chose, they basically picked random things from everywhere since "It's a Wonderful Life" was never intended to be a musical but I thought that was cool. I think they even had a Polar Express song in there.

A very nice, quiet, somewhat warm day at the park yesterday. Schools are still in session until Wednesday in the area, so it was mainly older people and really small kids. The park was nicely decorated. The lights (like last year) were mostly concentrated at the front of the park near showstreet. It's a Wonderful Life was as good as last year, I think the cast was the same. We had dinner at Granny Ogles Ham and Beans, a restaurant that never gets enough attention. The food and service (it is a sit down restaurant) is fantastic. I had the pot roast ($11.99) and my girlfriend had the BBQ chicken sandwich ($10.99). Both entrees came with ham and beans and one other side. As with every meal at Granny Ogles, it came with some really good cornbread.

Construction at River Battle was coming along nicely. It looks like they've already done tons of work and may have that area ready way before the park opens back up in March. The other construction area is HUGE! Seeing it for myself, I still could not wrap my head around how big it was. I would speculate just because of the size of the area that it would be another resort of some kind (but anything is possible at this point). One other construction related topic to mention is that the old applejack sandwich shop in rivertown is completely leveled. Has anyone heard what is going in its place?

Overall, a great visit to end the season and I can't wait for opening day in March!

IMG_4431.thumb.JPG.a9b5931365a06fc48e722c1d0d04370e.JPG

You can just barely see the top of Thunderhead's lift

IMG_4432.thumb.JPG.82c9e5f51965bbbf9f97a97a5dd606f1.JPG

Note Drop Line and Wild Eagle in the background

IMG_4433.thumb.JPG.7051b97ba6a49ea104a582045f3564f7.JPG

Doing a bit of burning

Applejack.thumb.PNG.6dcd80998bf581d9bc8f2a1b2ad6b1ff.PNG

Applejack's Sandwich Shop

I was also lucky enough to get my first rides on Lightning Rod. The coaster is absolutely nuts from start to finish. It's wild. It's smooth. It has an amazing setting. And has as much air as any coaster out there. There's no wasted track on this thing.

I already thought it was the best coaster I had ever ridden, but then it got even better in the dark. I've been on some dark coasters like the Beast and Boulder Dash, but they still have some light. Lightning Rod had none in the first half.

Glad to hear you finally got on it! What was it, 4 attempts?

We’ll be driving down to PF tomorrow. Anyone know of anything that’s open on Christmas Day that we could do after arriving? We’ll be getting there in the early evening. Goats on the Roof is closed as is The Old Mill restaurant. Other than that I’m not sure what else to look up.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before. The train loop up on the mountain is just as big as the one in country fair. Just to give you an idea just how much can be put in just the upper train loop. Lots of land and ideas to work with over the next few years. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Also Ripley's has a deal for tickets online right now 25% with code gingerbread

We went there in July when we were in town and loved it, 25% off is a good deal so maybe we'll hit it up again if nothing else is open. Thanks for the suggestion and coupon code!!

We’ll be driving down to PF tomorrow. Anyone know of anything that’s open on Christmas Day that we could do after arriving? We’ll be getting there in the early evening. Goats on the Roof is closed as is The Old Mill restaurant. Other than that I’m not sure what else to look up.

Here is a list I found online of some attractions open on Christmas Day.

https://www.cabinsusa.com/smoky-mountains-blog/post/164/whats-open-in-pigeon-forge-on-christmas.phpa

It looks like the Song and Hearth Restaurant inside Dreamore is open for Christmas. I have heard the food is awesome and you could spend sometime looking around the resort as it is all decked out for Christmas.if you have a Gold pass you get 20% off at the restaurant.

https://www.dollywood.com/-/media/Files/Dollywood/PDF/DMR/Events/Christmas-Day-Menu-DMR-2017.ashx?la=en

Dollywood has an awesome blog on the website with lots of detailed info about Dollywood. Anyone planning a trip or just wants to know more should check it out. It is added to weekly.

https://insiders.dollywood.com/?__utma=99471627.1085701113.1513783676.1514479200.1514479200.1&__utmb=99471627.0.10.1514479200&__utmc=99471627&__utmx=-&__utmz=99471627.1514479200.1.1.utmcsr%3D%28direct%29%7Cutmccn%3D%28direct%29%7Cutmcmd%3D%28none%29&__utmv=-&__utmk=24293106

Yeah regarding the large clearing and knowing the history with installations between SDC and DW I'm sticking with my hunch that it's gonna be a new themed area with a large Mack coaster as it's centerpiece.

Certainly a large themed area, but I'd bet it will be in stages. Probably looking at a Fireman's-landing style area to start, with a new coaster added later. If the rumor about it being the largest expansion ever are true, then it would have to be larger than County Fair with it's ten rides. Perhaps the play building will be really huge. One of the issues with SDC's is that it's a bit small.

Lots of possibilities here with so much new land and a park as ambitious as DW. I keep forgetting this is going on, but the latest photos have me floored. That's some industrial-level clearing going on.

I visited Dollywood last Thursday and Friday for my last time this season. The decorations were spectacular in the front of the park, not as many in the back. Last Thursday was absolutely packed, apparently it was Knox County's first day on break. Luckily weather kept crowds away but coasters open last Friday. As usual all the shows are fantastic. Even if your not a show person, it is worth seeing at least one. Christmas In The Smokies is always the best. I took some pictures from the train of the area they are clearing out. Everyone has said it, but it is absolutely massive. The area covers roughly from the group parking area behind Thunderhead to near FireChaser Express. The clearing didn't touch the train loop, but most of the area next to the train ride on the way up to the loop. Also the old Apple Jacks Sandwich shop in Rivertown Junction near River Rampage has been leveled. No clue what they could have planned there. Given there are so many food and shops nearby, I hope its a small family flat like a tug boat or something fitting to the theme.

IMG_2496.thumb.JPG.ccec9d93c7e20387e9f41ad9cd14c6fd.JPG

The spot where Apple Jacks sandwich shop got tore down.

IMG_2499.thumb.JPG.2fccf17a40e5bfb1d031be7c1df076b1.JPG

IMG_2503.thumb.JPG.406cf874c29249e4291c5804011b7f55.JPG

Shot of former River Battle from the train

IMG_2506.thumb.JPG.1992a96a30b7f3f184d6a0d659575830.JPG

IMG_2510.thumb.JPG.34b61fb1d7251634f15f463aea9a63d7.JPG

IMG_2511.thumb.JPG.2520a4da7e0c931a9358491079b3fee1.JPG

Edited by mckayj93

Applejack's has been leveled for some time now this season. I noticed it during the harvest festival but it could of been leveled longer.. they haven't used the building for a while now so hopefully they will replace it with something useful

Applejack's has been leveled for some time now this season. I noticed it during the harvest festival but it could of been leveled longer.. they haven't used the building for a while now so hopefully they will replace it with something useful

Yep, it was there when I last was in late October. This was the first time I was there since. I'm hoping for a flat ride.