TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

better than the neutered looking Time Traveler.
Always amazed by the enthusiasts who judge a ride before it's even open....

I'm not judging. The layout is statistically small. I never said the ride or experience will suck.....because I haven't rode yet. But it is neutered....in the sense that it's smaller and obviously the course isn't as intense as Helix: 1) It's for fact shorter and 2) it's a spinner....not sure where your snide comment applies?

Not to sound like an enthusiast wet dreaming here.. but, if they're building a new "land" I wouldn't be surprised for a B&M (hopefully a Hyper) to be the star attraction after so much negative press on Lightning Rods reliability. Looking forward to a formal announcement on this project!

It's very possible it might be a mixture of things.. one theory I heard the other day and have read on two websites now is a ski resort themed area. The site quoted a survey from several years ago that asked questions about a snow themed coaster. According to that site they called it an "Ice House Coaster". I never received that survey but I did receive one last year that talked about a new themed areas with multiple attractions and one of the themes was "snow".. another one was lumberjack (we already have a similar are to that) and I can't remember the rest.. it might of been a circus area.. I can't remember but the snow area stuck in my mind due to Dolly's abandoned plan to built a snow park in Nashville.

A snow themed area would be great for Dollywood and could even include a snow park, several rides, and a lot of things!

A ski themed area could very well have on site cabins! Would the be real and rentable? Or just stores and for looks?

Hearing talk about cabins is very plausible because when people hear "truths" about projects, they hear them in parts.. cabins might be part of the theme if it's snow or ski resort themed

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Edited by dstephe9

What is access going to be like to this area? Ie- where would you enter it from? I was riding Thunderhead last week and was kinda baffled myself at how large the area is.
Rumor has it and Pete himself, several years ago mentioned one of the accesses would be the service road beside firechaser.. a lot of us here think the other access will be where river battle was and the new stage area is being built.. that would make a nice hub area

I was planning on visiting December 21-22 for my Christmas visit this year. However considered coming January 2-3 because I saw they added those days. When I come for Christmas, I'm there more for the shows than other times in the year, although low waits on Lightning Rod are always welcome. I came between Christmas and New Years last year and the crowds were crazy. Any ideas for those of you who have visited before Christmas before?

Depends on the weather.. it really does. Mild Christmas and it will be packed that week.. if it's bone chilling cold, who knows haha.. same for the few days before Christmas.

Here is a sample of the weather here after Christmas last year when you visited. nearly 70 degrees on the 26th haha.. the year before I was almost as warm.. that temp combined with people being home is what makes Dollywood so packed on those days.

If it's 35 degrees who knows what the turnout will be.

154576574538b4c157484980ae069767.jpg01b7814fc37cd635b586e4c1ec486d6f.jpge52508d183b7303329621f33069d292c.jpg

I was thinking about making a pit stop at Dollywood for the first time on Sunday. Is there any coasters that are closed this time of year?

What do I absolutely need to do besides ride LIghtning Rod if going through the area? This is an impromptu trip.

I was thinking about making a pit stop at Dollywood for the first time on Sunday. Is there any coasters that are closed this time of year?

What do I absolutely need to do besides ride LIghtning Rod if going through the area? This is an impromptu trip.

If it's over 40 degrees, all coasters should be open. Only the water ride are closed

I'm at the park now, and it's been crazy packed all day. Lightning Rod was about an hour wait, Wild Eagle 30-40, Tennessee Tornado about 30. Fire Chaser was over an hour all day so I didn't get to ride, but hey, got to cross a few firsts off of my list:

-First RMC

-First Wing Coaster

-First EuroFighter

-First Arrow looper that was enjoyable and didn't suck

As a Dollywood Insider I have a promotional code my friends can use when purchasing tickets online. Save $5 per ticket when you use the promo code DWINSIDERS15 for your discount! Also you can use your ticket and at the end of your day at Dollywood you can upgrade that one day ticket to a season pass for this Christmas and all of the 2018 season for a great price!

Click the link below to buy your tickets today and save!

https://store.dollywood.com/tickets/buy-tickets.aspx?promoCode=Dwinsiders15

I went to Dollywood last Tuesday, the 21st, and took my kids for their first time, and we had a great day! They loved the park, and my second trip was even more enjoyable than my first, last year! Of course, going with my kids probably had a lot to do with that!

The park was open longer than when I went in November last year, but was much more crowded, with wait times approaching an hour for the major rides a few times. Still, we got to ride all of the major coasters once (I passed on Whistlepunk Chaser, as I'm just not a Credit Whore these days, but two of my kids rode it), and rode Wild Eagle twice, and Lightning Rod four times. I enjoyed Drop Line a ton, and it definitely shoots right up to near the top of my favorite drop tower rides! It's a great setting, and just the way it rotates on the way up, giving you a fantastic view, and then pauses just long enough to crank up the anxiety, before a free fall drop that is sure to leave your stomach up at the top of the tower. Great addition for the park, and the location is perfect, too! Additionally, I introduced my kids to the amazingness that is the Cinnamon Bread, and we inhaled one loaf, and promptly had to go get another! Their minds were definitely blown! We got it earlier in the day, so there wasn't a long wait. When we came back at the end to get some for the road, it looked like another hour wait for that, so we passed. But we still had eaten plenty, so it wasn't a big deal...

I've been wanting to take my kids there for a while, and the time did not disappoint! In the end, I think everybody agreed Lightning Rod was the best, but Wild Eagle was really popular as well, and after a lackluster ride last year, I rode in the front both times this year (each side), and enjoyed it much more! Riding at night the second time was also awesome! The park looked beautiful all lit up for Christmas, and even at night, the temps never dipped below hoodie weather - at least for us Michiganders. I'm guessing all those people traipsing around the park, even in the daytime when it was in the low 60's, in their heavy winter coats, must have been from the South, like Georgia, or Florida, because for us, it was great weather!

Next year, my plan is to take the kids to Dollywood's sister park, Silver Dollar City, and hopefully we have as awesome of a time there, as we did here!

Pulled the trigger and bought my season passes this morning for the family and I, once it became apparent that Dolly doesn't really "do" Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

Only a little over two weeks, and we're going to be spending five nights down in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Obviously I don't anticipate spending the entire time at Dollywood, and the kiddo and I already know about the mountain coasters, but are there any other things in the area that you folks would highly recommend for family fun with a six-year-old and two--year-old in tow? (I'm guessing the moonshine tours probably frown on the rugrats.)

She does Cyber Monday deals! I got an email about 50% off bookings at Dreammore! Lol, not so sure how good of a deal it was but hey, it said it was a Cyber Monday deals in the email

Currently they have the free "tickets" (bring a friend tickets) with season passes as their main promotion.. I never get to use them because they have to many blackout dates! I have never had the December friend passes though so they may not have all the blackout dates

She does Cyber Monday deals! I got an email about 50% off bookings at Dreammore! Lol, not so sure how good of a deal it was but hey, it said it was a Cyber Monday deals in the email

Currently they have the free "tickets" (bring a friend tickets) with season passes as their main promotion.. I never get to use them because they have to many blackout dates! I have never had the December friend passes though so they may not have all the blackout dates

I got a similar e-mail today but the dates offered for half off are during the off season after the park is closed. I made the mistake of going to the area in January and everything was closed, even the shows in the area. The place was a ghost town.