TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

The day after Thanksgiving and the Saturday after has traditionally been quite busy. About 10 years ago I went on that Friday and the park was mobbed. Last year however I went the Friday after and it really wasn't that bad. The good news is that the park plans well for it to be a busy day so everything is running at capacity.

Not sure about the after 3 next day free ending in October, but many days for the Christmas fest the park doesn't even open until 2.

As far as LRod... Knock on wood but it's doing much better. On busy days I've heard they are running two trains on it, though I haven't seen that yet. Of course the last couple visits the park was not busy so they only ran 1 train. I went Monday this week and got 9 rides on it .

Also, I noticed the "get in free after 3 the day before" promotion states that it ends in October. Does that mean they don't run it at all again in November? If not, that's a shame I'll miss out on that!

Lastly, am I correct in assuming that since I haven't heard much talk to the contrary, that LR is running pretty consistently these days? That would sure be great if that keeps up through November!

Historically, during the Christmas festival, the time moves to 6pm.

I was there on Monday and they had 1 train running on LR. It was only about a 10 minute wait (low crowds) and rode perfectly.

As for the day after Thanksgiving, I've never been to Dollywood on that day, but I do know Pigeon Forge is VERY crowded mostly with outlet shoppers.

Did anyone ever experience 2-Train-Operation on Lrod in the last few weeks? I was not aware of that. I thought they still were not able to do that because of reliability. Would love to hear some thoughts as we are again planning a trip next summer .

Yes my visit was LR with 2 trains. Only thing is, it’s slower dispatches just because the 2nd train doesn’t even slightly enter the station until the 1st is for sure up on the launch, going, and not going to fail. Once it’s past that point they’ll then pull you forward and unload/load.

EDIT: I found a video someone IG filmed of another view of the land being cleared. You can see an access road on the far left.

This one shows an actual active dozer.

I see this being a better spot for a new coaster/area than the loop everyone is looking at (where the train does it whistle blow) just because I don’t think Dollywood wants that area really disturbed. It’s got perfect views, it holds a perfect story telling set for them to tell about how life on the farm was, and I think it’s a spot to not be touched. Now the spot where they are moving dirt was just a hidden spot that no one really paid attention to. It’s kinda before the fake bear encounter and those random moonshine stills. It’s in that area. So I think that leaves PLENTY room for expansion for anything really.

FYI, Dollywood's engineers are presenting a Site Plan to the Pigeon Forge Planning Commission tomorrow...

Hmmmm, wonder what that could be for? The river battle site or the clearing? Would they have to present something to the board even if it had already been cleared (RB site). Sorry if that’s obvious, I don’t really get presenting things to boards for approval. I did understand having to get LR approved because it did cross over into new property that Dollywood had to buy as well as made some noise to those camping rental properties over the ridge.

Heading to the park tomorrow. Am I able to pay for parking with a credit card? Just want to make sure or I'll stop by a ATM on the way up.

Thanks

If you get a ride on the train, see what you see for yourself as far as the land movement. I think I’m more interested in that myself than I am with whatever is happening to River Battle haha

Hey guys...I'll be visiting Pigeon Forge/Nashville next month and plan on going to Dollywood on Thanksgiving day. It's my first time there, so obviously I'm not very familiar with the park layout, lines, etc. The park is only open from 4-9 and I'm a little worried that I won't have enough time to hit all the roller coasters. Would it be safe to assume I'll be able to get to everything in 5 hours? I don't plan on seeing any shows or riding any flats.

Would it be safe to assume I'll be able to get to everything in 5 hours? I don't plan on seeing any shows or riding any flats.

If you just want to hit coasters you won't have a problem at all. Hit Lightning Rod first (for a variety of reasons). Then if you want to be strategic hit Firechaser next followed by Mystery Mine but honestly if you just want to follow the loop you'll be fine too. It really doesn't matter that much.

You're doing yourself a tremendous disservice by not seeing any shows though.

Heading to the park tomorrow. Am I able to pay for parking with a credit card? Just want to make sure or I'll stop by a ATM on the way up.

Thanks

If you get a ride on the train, see what you see for yourself as far as the land movement. I think I’m more interested in that myself than I am with whatever is happening to River Battle haha

I honestly think river battle is just going to be the junction to the new area. It's the closest area to the service road. Their plan a few years ago had one of the junctions where fire chaser links to the service road so that will be the back junction and the front one will the river battle site

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Would it be safe to assume I'll be able to get to everything in 5 hours? I don't plan on seeing any shows or riding any flats.

If you just want to hit coasters you won't have a problem at all. Hit Lightning Rod first (for a variety of reasons). Then if you want to be strategic hit Firechaser next followed by Mystery Mine but honestly if you just want to follow the loop you'll be fine too. It really doesn't matter that much.

You're doing yourself a tremendous disservice by not seeing any shows though.

Thank you for the help. I feel you about the shows, they've just never been my thing.

If Kendrick was playing, however....

Hey guys...I'll be visiting Pigeon Forge/Nashville next month and plan on going to Dollywood on Thanksgiving day. It's my first time there, so obviously I'm not very familiar with the park layout, lines, etc. The park is only open from 4-9 and I'm a little worried that I won't have enough time to hit all the roller coasters. Would it be safe to assume I'll be able to get to everything in 5 hours? I don't plan on seeing any shows or riding any flats.

You'll be fine...I'm betting on a light day crowd-wise. But I could be wrong....like stated, go straight to LR first. I'm thinking if it's having a bad day they won't move aggressively on a fix or maybe not have the maintenance manpower to do so on a holiday. Have fun, amazing park! Great theming and people, as well. And most important, get the cinnamon bread

Thanks

So I didn't make it on the train yesterday but I was able to see pretty much all that was going on from the taller rides in the park. Here's a map overlay from what they are clearing to and it looks like they are connecting to the road access behind FCE. The hill between River Battle and the access road is at least 50 feet high, I just don't see how they are going to connect them with out a bunch of switchbacks or maybe a bridge or something. My guess is the access road will be the path for this side of the park and they will build a new path down by Thunderhead which is more of a gentle slope but this is all of a guess. Hopefully River Battle will become a awesome flat ride which would be a nice addition in that area.

Dollywood.thumb.png.d3dff801066b11157149a68936ad22b2.png

Forgot to mention got my second ride on Lighting Rod yesterday and this time from the front seat. It was nice not to have to worry if it was going to break down waiting a few turns for the front row. Was running one train but trains where only going out 3/4 full. I was surprised that they still had the RMC sandwich board out front notifying people of past problems.

Truly a world class ride!

Just got a few questions here:

Thinking about making the trip up to Dollywood for Smoky Mountain Christmas in early November for the first time. Any tips/info are appreciated!

1. I haven't really followed this thread enough to form a strong consensus. But is Lightning Rod operating most every day recently? We've not had good luck, so that's gonna be a slight factor in our decision to head up there this time.

2. I can buy season passes at the event that are good for admission this year and also unlimited access through end of next year? If this is the case, we'll almost certainly be going because we can go this year for Christmas, next summer and next Christmas two days each and easily get our money's worth. I just don't see any info yet online about 2018 season passes. Does that come out just once the Christmas event starts?

3. Crowds are pretty manageable for the event early on during the week? Thinking of going November 7th and 8th.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Just got a few questions here:

Thinking about making the trip up to Dollywood for Smoky Mountain Christmas in early November for the first time. Any tips/info are appreciated!

1. I haven't really followed this thread enough to form a strong consensus. But is Lightning Rod operating most every day recently? We've not had good luck, so that's gonna be a slight factor in our decision to head up there this time.

2. I can buy season passes at the event that are good for admission this year and also unlimited access through end of next year? If this is the case, we'll almost certainly be going because we can go this year for Christmas, next summer and next Christmas two days each and easily get our money's worth. I just don't see any info yet online about 2018 season passes. Does that come out just once the Christmas event starts?

3. Crowds are pretty manageable for the event early on during the week? Thinking of going November 7th and 8th.

Thanks for the help, guys!

1.Lightning Rod has been running pretty consistent. On the busier weekend days, they can run two trains. The last time I remember it being down was due to a lightning strike (oh the irony).

2. Season Passes purchased during the Christmas Time are good through the next year. I suggest one of you in your group to get a Gold Pass. It allows free parking and 20% off merch. and food. If you plan on buying your passes inside the park, keep your parking receipt and they will deduct the price from your Gold Pass.

3. Weekday crowds are manageable due to school. If the weather is nice like last year, expect record crowds on weekends. Rides will stay open unless it gets below 40ish.

I know it was mentioned a few posts back, but make time to see the shows. I make it a point to visit on Christmas just to see the shows.