TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

... okay

I would have loved to have been there just to see Dolly.

Agreed.

PS: The new Pumpkin thing sounds cool. They have something similar about an hour from our house and it's definitely quite the spectacle. There are a few other events like this around the country, generally the majority of pumpkins aren't real (since that would be completely impractical) and I think the same company churns a lot of them out with the exact same set pieces but even when you know all that it's still really cool to see.

Great pics ernierocker of your kids getting on Whistlepunk Chaser. I don't have kids but it's great to see another coaster for kids to ride!

Mystery Mine randomly went down one of the days I was there in June. That ride seemed to have the most downtime after Lightning Rod.

This was definitely the case a couple weeks ago. I checked the app constantly throughout the days we were there and both LR and MM were constantly trading the TC status.

You guys are all going to kill me but we didn't get on DDF. In fact, I didn't even see it. What is it near, specifically?

Mystery mine has been down most of the day, only got 90 mins left and I'm hoping it opens up again but I can't complain too much after getting as many rides on lightning rod as I did.

Mystery Mine was down for about 95% of the time we were in the park a few weeks back. Which is sad because it's such a great coaster. . . Thankfully it reopened about a hour before the park closed, so we still had a chance to get in several rides!

Great pics ernierocker of your kids getting on Whistlepunk Chaser. I don't have kids but it's great to see another coaster for kids to ride!

Mystery Mine randomly went down one of the days I was there in June. That ride seemed to have the most downtime after Lightning Rod.

This was definitely the case a couple weeks ago. I checked the app constantly throughout the days we were there and both LR and MM were constantly trading the TC status.

You guys are all going to kill me but we didn't get on DDF. In fact, I didn't even see it. What is it near, specifically?

It's hidden by itself in craftmans valley. Up in a back corner.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

It never re-opened today but I'm still happy we got on lightning rod and everything else in the park we wanted to do. We did the timesaver unlimited pass simply because this was our only day here and the park was only open to 7. It really was worth the money cause we would have never gotten on lightning rod 4 times plus all the other rides.

I really enjoyed the park but not sure it would be a park I'd make it out to every year. It was definitely too humid for me. The Halloween / Christmas events seem like they would be great but don't know if I'd go just for them if a lot of rides aren't open as well.

Last year the ride announcement didn’t come till October 28th. So still time, to announce something to get season passes kicked off for next year. The Facebook post must have been by an employee not in the know. Lol
Or an employee that was WAY to early to the punch which is also possible.. I really can't imagine Dollywood not announcing anything for next season.. I mean, I know things can change but why take a break from their 10 year plan? I can't recall the original announcement about their 10 year plan but I do recall them saying we would see things constantly being added to one of the three properties (Dreammore, Dollywood, or Splash).

Me and my wife visited Dollywood and other Pigeon forge/Gatlinburg attractions for the first time. Dollywood was a very nice park. I went in expecting a thrill park but it was not. It was a beautiful and well rounded theme park though. Lightning Rod was actually open. Only ran one train and had the only wait of the day. I went in expecting to much from the ride. It was great fun but I got off a little disappointed. It is my 2nd favorite RMC of the three I have ridden. Tenn Tornado was fun but a little short. Walk on empty trains. Fire chaser chaser express was fun but the fire was to hot. Wild Eagle was also a walk on with empty trains. I have now ridden all 4 of the north American Wing riders. I put 3/4 with Gatekeeper being last and Thunderbird being 2nd and Xflight being first. It was as meh as the others. Thunderhead was a solid ride. I walked right on the back seat with a bunch of empty seats ahead of me. Sadly Mystery Mine was closed. That cin bread should be a sin. Damn that was good. We also went to the Island and rode the Wonder Wheel and did the Alpine Coaster which was okay. Dollywood was a great park even though it wasn't a thrill park. We only did one day but could of easily done 3

I see no issue with them TCing for it, their employees deserve to see it to but what safety concern? The park is open during the night all the time so darkness is no issue.. The only safety concern I see is that employees will be distracted? Why not just admit it and say it is so the employees can enjoy the eclipse lol

Lights you would think would be automatic

The looking at the sun stuff is overkill though haha.. looking at it with your bare eyes at anytime can cause cells in your eyes to be killed which is what leads to the damage.. During solar eclipses people just look at the sun for extended periods of times which is why it causes even more eye damage.. Its like an article I read about bringing your pets inside during the eclipse.. The answer was, its not needed because pets don't look at the sun, even on normal days so to them the eclipse wont make any difference. Yes, during an eclipse the luminance from light rays change quicker than normal, making it a little harder for eyes to adjust which might speed up the process a little but not by much. But the main damage is looking at it for extended periods of time.. You can cause the same damage from looking at the sun right now for a minute or two without moving your eyes off it.

Like for example, the video you linked to was shot on a regular sunny day. Its like the camera video a camera shop shot.. I burned up a camera sensor one time on accident on a normal sunny day haha

I mean, I understand Dollywood taking precautions but the sun shouldn't be able to cause anymore damage today than any other day (Aside from the luminance changing quicker, which will cause your eyes to focus at a different rate) unless you look at it for extended periods of time

Right, except it's basically impossible to look at the sun any other time so you'll instinctively look away without even realizing it. When you're on a thrill ride you're going to at some point be facing towards the sun / sky and that instinct to look away won't be there. The park is being cautious, we live in a litigious society. I don't blame them.

Plus... why would you be riding a coaster when you could put your glasses on (which I would imagine the park is selling at a ridiculous mark-up) and watch the eclipse?

I get it because of the idiocracy effect and the park trying to protect people from themselves, but I do think that the entire country is going overboard about eye health and the eclipse.

We've been through eclipses before in this country and seeing how a huge majority of people over 40 aren't blind - I think we'll be okay.

I heard one news source this morning saying NASA is making it worse than it really is, to help them and other people sell "NASA certified" Solar Glasses.. it's up to individual people to believe that or not though haha