TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I've never tried bringing food in, but never had an issue with drinks.

The security people are usually very friendly and not overbearing or suspicious. YMMV.

Like Luke said is very true except for Splash.. they will not allow food.. sometimes, if it's a diet or allergies thing, they might let you depending on the issue but I have heard them say to guest "We have gluten free options"

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I really don't understand why people are so stingy about theme park food & drinks. It's all part of the experience and yes it's expensive, but if you want to frequent theme parks, suck it up or don't visit. Dollywood was selling bottled water at 2 for $4 today and they also would give you a free cup of water if you asked. Spending 30 minutes on the phone to ask if you can bring a bottle of water into the park is so insanely dumb that I'm embarrassed to read someone on our forum did that. I also feel that buying food and merch at the parks actually HELPS SUPPORT THE PARKS and I'd really like parks to keep getting new attractions and they are doing that for the people who bring in money, not the people who want a literal free ride.

Seriously just buy the $2 bottles of water and if you can't afford $2 bottles of water maybe theme parks shouldn't be your hobby.

Sorry, just had to say it.

/end rant.

Edited by robbalvey

I really don't understand why people are so stingy about theme park food & drinks. It's all part of the experience and yes it's expensive, but if you want to frequent theme parks, suck it up or don't visit. Dollywood was selling bottled water at 2 for $4 today and they also would give you a free cup of water if you asked. Spending 30 minutes on the phone to ask if you can bring a bottle of water into the park is so insanely dumb that I'm embarrassed to read someone on our forum did that. I also feel that buying food and merch at the parks actually HELPS SUPPORT THE PARKS and I'd really like parks to keep getting new attractions and they are doing that for the people who bring in money, not the people who want a literal free ride.

Seriously just buy the $2 bottles of water and if you can't afford $2 bottles of water maybe theme parks shouldn't be your hobby.

Sorry, just had to say it.

/end rant.

QFT

And plus, if you buy the drop Line mug or LR mug and get water at Dollywood, it's not just the cheapest option but it's also the better option. The 3 days I've been here this week TN has hit heat indexes of over 100 and yes while I was in Dollywood. I probably refilled up on water 14 times due to getting near heatstroke. You also have to think coasters drain you. So if you wanna sneak stuff in, just pay the mug price and get free water refills.

Nobody said anything about sneaking anything in. They allow you to bring an unopened bottled water into the park...which I do at every park I go to. Most parks sell that nasty Dasani water which I refuse to drink. I know you can get a cup of water at places, but it's easier to just bring a disposable water bottle and refill at the fountains. The only time I buy a drink (soda) is with a meal as I don't drink a lot of soda & sugary drinks. I also hate carrying around a souvenir cup all day. I'll buy one, but usually closer to the time I'm leaving.

Nobody said anything about sneaking anything in. They allow you to bring an unopened bottled water into the park...which I do at every park I go to. Most parks sell that nasty Dasani water which I refuse to drink. I know you can get a cup of water at places, but it's easier to just bring a disposable water bottle and refill at the fountains. The only time I buy a drink (soda) is with a meal as I don't drink a lot of soda & sugary drinks. I also hate carrying around a souvenir cup all day. I'll buy one, but usually closer to the time I'm leaving.

This, exactly. Like bgtlover, I don't every try to sneak anything in. Paying $4 for 2 bottles of water at DW is a good deal - thanks for mentioning that Robb, I wasn't aware of their reasonable prices.

Well. . . We managed to get a ride in on Lightning Rod this evening... and I've got to he honest... I got off of the coaster highly underwhelmed. I mean, it's not a bad coaster... it's just kind of... meh.

We hit the brake run, and I looked at my partner and said "That was it?" And he said "Guess so... that really wasn't all it was cracked up to be."

Granted we were both tired, annoyed, and had a headache. . . So I'm hoping tomorrow it sits better with us!! Right now for us it's not even a top 10 coaster. . . Maybe not even a top 20.

Granted we were both tired, annoyed, and had a headache. . . So I'm hoping tomorrow it sits better with us!! Right now for us it's not even a top 10 coaster. . . Maybe not even a top 20.

That stinks. Any combination of tired, annoyed, headache, aching anywhere, hungry, dehydrated, etc. is a bad time no matter where you are. Hopefully it was just a fluke and tomorrow you'll be feeling better and LR will impress you!

Well. . . We managed to get a ride in on Lightning Rod this evening... and I've got to he honest... I got off of the coaster highly underwhelmed. I mean, it's not a bad coaster... it's just kind of... meh.

We hit the brake run, and I looked at my partner and said "That was it?" And he said "Guess so... that really wasn't all it was cracked up to be."

...Critiques? What didn't you like about it? Not enough like TTD?

Which row did you ride in? Which there's not really a bad row. It honestly is even better your second time and the more you ride it. It's so fast that it's over so quick,so you have to ride it again to get it all in. Got my uncle and cousin on their first rides this past Tuesday when it opened back up and they were like "What just happened?" So we went again before lines got too long and they screamed the entire time, not to mention the 45 year old man screaming oh sh*t and other words from the wave turn into the breaks.

giphy.gif

#dumb

Well, we are feeling better today, and just got off LR... and holy shit. I take back everything I said before. . . This thing is balls out crazy!!! I can't wait to do it again!!

Are you sure that on the first night you didn't walk onto Thunderhead by accident?

Well, we are feeling better today, and just got off LR... and holy shit. I take back everything I said before. . . This thing is balls out crazy!!! I can't wait to do it again!!

Lol, this f***ing guy...

First a no-detail review that LR sucks and isn't a top-20 coaster. And then a no-detail review that he takes everything back? Yeah, ok dude... Let me guess, having a VIP tour today was imperative for your enjoyment? Can't handle those awful GP?

Woohoo! Is today your last day there or are you going to get to experience the awesomeness tomorrow too?

Lol, this f***ing guy...

First a no-detail review that LR sucks and isn't a top-20 coaster. And then a no-detail review that he takes everything back? Yeah, ok dude... Let me guess, having a VIP tour today was imperative for your enjoyment? Can't handle those awful GP?

Or... maybe I've been busy enjoying the park??

There will be more details, and answers to questions when I make it back to the hotel tonight.

^ The same thing (kind of) happened to me when I first rode GateKeeper at Cedar Point, CoasterMania! morning.

We had to wake up around 5am-ish to get to registration and ERT, starting around 6:30am. No food, don't even remember

having a coffee or anything to drink, and then we got on GK. I felt ill, almost to the point of being really sick, and getting

a headache, too. I really didn't want to ride it again. Period. Then, on our final day there, having eaten, relaxed, gone thru

CM! Day, and a day off from the park (the Sunday), the Monday morning fog provided an AWESOME ride on GK!

Surprise, surprise!

So, yeah that first day (and first coaster rides) at any park can be "not great" as you thought it might be. Some times,

one's well being and physical health needs to be rested, fed, and relaxed enough to take on coasters like these.

Lol, this f***ing guy...

There will be more details, and answers to questions when I make it back to the hotel tonight.

Why post anything if you're "busy enjoying your day?" We're not on the edges of our seats...

I'm just pointing out how obnoxious it is to post two contradicting, wishy-washy opinions with no reasons for either. You ride it once, say it's crap, ride it again, say it's amazing... Nobody needs the play-by-play of how your opinion is changing in real time. How about you digest the ride a little bit before spewing half-baked, non-explained opinions?

Lol, this f***ing guy...

Why post anything if you're "busy enjoying your day?" We're not on the edges of our seats...

I'm just pointing out how obnoxious it is to post two contradicting, wishy-washy opinions with no reasons for either. You ride it once, say it's crap, ride it again, say it's amazing... Nobody needs the play-by-play of how your opinion is changing in real time. How about you digest the ride a little bit before spewing half-baked, non-explained opinions?

I don't think we need details on the thought process for that initial "review" of Lightning Rod. I think while chickenbowl could be a little less brash in his posts, he has hit the nail on the head. Let's move on and not start a flame fest about this.

Edited by ernierocker

It's amazing how much being sick and tired can take the fun out of a roller coaster. I've had it happen to me before too.

Same. So many factors can go into your enjoyment of rides.

That said, I'm shocked to see Chicken offended by something again. This time it's someone posting an opinion.

I'll discontinue the sass, Ernie.

Side note - I'm very happy that LR has been operating seemingly consistent for the past week. I find it hilarious that the boards quiet way down when the coaster's actually running! I'm sending them good vibes to keep that incredible coaster operating!