TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I prefer the forces in 'Tornado's back seat... but, when you sit in the front seat, you feel like you're going to get a rollback every time through that first inversion! Both spots are worth a ride!

LR is going to haul a$$ no matter where you sit. I can't say which I prefer, they're both different.. give front and back BOTH a ride.

Wild Eagle is better in terms of forces in the back, but it's also a bit on the rattly side.. The front literally feels like you're flying.

Thunderhead is great in the back, massive air time.. but it can be a bit jarring.

I prefer the forces in 'Tornado's back seat... but, when you sit in the front seat, you feel like you're going to get a rollback every time through that first inversion! Both spots are worth a ride!

LR is going to haul a$$ no matter where you sit. I can't say which I prefer, they're both different.. give front and back BOTH a ride.

Wild Eagle is better in terms of forces in the back, but it's also a bit on the rattly side.. The front literally feels like you're flying.

Thunderhead is great in the back, massive air time.. but it can be a bit jarring.

The front seat om Tornado used to scare me to death because it does fill like it is going to rollback or stop on the loop

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

While they were at it, they should have built a better berm between the pathway going up to Timber Canyon and the new parking lot. Since they built those lots, that pathway feels like it under the parking lot. Which it is. Dollywood always had such excellent isolation from the parking lot before that.

Agreed, it was really apparent from the train ride last year but not sure how this year yet.

Just wanted to put this out there for those planning to visit Dollywood this summer. You May want to check out the information about The Eclispe that will happen on August 21st. I know it doesnt pass directly over dollywood but will pass close enough for it to been seen at about 99% or a short drive to the west past Wears Valley will put you in totality and up to 2 !/2 Minutes of darkness assuming it isnt cloudy. We have been planning for this event for several years and as it is happening near Dollywood (our favorite vacation spot) its an oppurtunity that cant be beat. You can search online for more information https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/

Record high temps at the park today. It over 90 degrees and it seem like a lot of rides have been breaking down. Mystery Mine, Rampage, firechasher, lightning Rod twice, daredevil Falls, and Tennessee Tornado have all been temp closed today.

Just an FYI, went to the park today and it seems they have scrapped the Timesaver wristband for a lanyard with a punchcard. You can get the 10 (8 regulars and 2 premiums) rides for $35, like the bracelet had, or an unlimited ride card for $45. The park was extremely crowded today and many people had these timesavers obviously slowing down regular lines immensly.

Drop Line looks great! The pond is filled and they've added some theming to the pond. I know that the ride is supposed to open May 5, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a soft opening in the middle of the week.

Just an FYI, went to the park today and it seems they have scrapped the Timesaver wristband for a lanyard with a punchcard. You can get the 10 (8 regulars and 2 premiums) rides for $35, like the bracelet had, or an unlimited ride card for $45.

Sounds just like the system they have at SDC. Maybe not as great as the Qbot, but big improvement over the wristband.

The punch cards are very new.. last Thursday they still had wristbands although the bands then looked like a softer plastic than the original hard plastic black ones.. last Thursday they were a translucent blue

Record high temps at the park today. It over 90 degrees and it seem like a lot of rides have been breaking down. Mystery Mine, Rampage, firechasher, lightning Rod twice, daredevil Falls, and Tennessee Tornado have all been temp closed today.

Yes - seems like lots of maintence headaches yesterday. There was a point were like 5 or 6 rides were listed as "TC". FCE went down around 2 and never reopened. MM around 4 or 5 and never reopened. LR did very well all day besides having several minor "hiccups" after 5. But the ride would be up and running again within 30 minutes. We actually got on the very front row of the first train on L-Rod @ 9a, and the very back row of the last train of the night at 8:30pm. I don't think I have ever been able to claim first train of the day and last train of the day on the same ride ever!

As far as seating preferences, now that I have two LRod front seat rides under my belt, while anywhere in the train is fun, I really prefer it in the back. TT is best in the back, but you do get great hangtime towards the front in the first loop. Some days I like TH towards the front, some days towards the back. My favorite WE seat is right side (elevator side) row 7, outside edge.

One year, a friend of mine tried to upgrade a bring a friend pass and yes he got a discount but it wasn't nearly as good as upgrading a paid daily pass for a season pass (Which from what I have heard only cost the difference of the two and possibly a small fee).. So technically upgrading a paid daily ticket really isn't a discount.. Unless you got your paid ticket for free.. my company used to have company picnics there and our ticket was free from the company.. that made it a great discount for a season pass

I think his discount was only $5 or $10 with the bring a friend pass

Just an FYI, went to the park today and it seems they have scrapped the Timesaver wristband for a lanyard with a punchcard. You can get the 10 (8 regulars and 2 premiums) rides for $35, like the bracelet had, or an unlimited ride card for $45.

Do you know if the unlimited Timesaver allowed unlimited rides on LR? Or are you still restricted to 1 ride on it while everything else you can reride multiple times?

Do you know if the unlimited Timesaver allowed unlimited rides on LR? Or are you still restricted to 1 ride on it while everything else you can reride multiple times?

I was at Dollywood Saturday and got my family of four unlimited timesavers and was only expecting one ride on LR due to what was written on the website, but when I got to the park and got my lanyards, I was informed that it was unlimited on LR and also unlimited on Drop Line too when it opens next week. They said that only the limited timesavers give you one ride on each. So it's best to spend the extra ten bucks and get the unlimited. We rode LR five times with our lanyards. The park was crazy that day with crowds so it was worth it. We would have rode more but LR was having technical issues during the day along with a lot of other rides. Seemed like a lot of rides broke while we were there. I don't even think Firechaser Express ran that day. They were testing but never opened the ride. Smoky Mountain Rampage, Barnstormer, Mystery Mine, LR, Dizzy Disk all experienced downtime while I was close to the rides. It was a pain in the ass, but I still think I got my money's worth out of the lanyards. I do think writing on the cards with permanent marker is a bad idea. It was hot as hell that day and when you stick them inside your shirt while riding a ride so they don't fly off, the sweat from your body erases the marker from the cards. And mine had nothing written on it by the end of the day. We had issues at Wild Eagle because they didn't believe mine was legit anymore without the date written on it. So, just remember if you get one, try to keep the date from wiping off. Dollywood definitely gives the better deal when it comes to timesaver. Most parks are extremely more expensive for their line skipping system. They just need a better way for their guests to do it, the lanyard is kind of hassle to keep from having the date rub off.

I was informed that Saturday was the busiest day Dollywood has had so far this season. I was there from opening to close and it was a madhouse. All the paths were pretty hard to maneuver through due to the crowds. I was also informed from staff that this was the reason for most of the technical issues the rides were having that day. The ride cycles were heavily increased due to the crowds and some of the workers there said the rides wasn't prepared. I don't know how much of that was true, but that's what I was told from workers that were at the rides that were broken down. I can understand that being a problem but who knows...I just hope Dollywood is able to correct the issue. I was disappointed that I didn't get to ride Firechaser Express...It was down every time I passed by it. There was a lot of issues with other rides but I at least got a ride on them while they were operating. I'm sure Dollywood has had busier days so they know how to do it, I just guess it was early in the season and this was their first hiccup. All in all though, I had a great time. I got to ride LR for the first time and it is my top 5 now. By far the best RMC I've rode so far. The only ones I haven't rode yet are Medusa, Cyclone, Outlaw and the one in Sweden...So, I'll see again when I ride those...But for now, LR is the best RMC imo.

Can't really tell if that guy in the video really enjoyed the ride or not.

When Dollywood shared the video to their own facebook page, I noticed a lot of complaining in the comments. I gotta admit, it's interesting seeing how a lot of the general public really dislike the coaster. I noticed a lot of the comments were dealing with "roughness" and some mentioned how they were "in pain" after riding. Others were of course throwing fits about it being closed all the time. Some of the "roughness" comments seemed obvious that they were likely getting roughness mixed up with intensity (unless you rode the ride back when the pothole existed). Not that any of this really matters, but still a little interesting seeing the other opinions.

Anyways, I look forward to getting on Drop Line in a few weeks! (considering it really opens on the 5th)

I was informed that Saturday was the busiest day Dollywood has had so far this season. I was there from opening to close and it was a madhouse. All the paths were pretty hard to maneuver through due to the crowds. I was also informed from staff that this was the reason for most of the technical issues the rides were having that day. The ride cycles were heavily increased due to the crowds and some of the workers there said the rides wasn't prepared. I don't know how much of that was true, but that's what I was told from workers that were at the rides that were broken down. I can understand that being a problem but who knows...I just hope Dollywood is able to correct the issue. I was disappointed that I didn't get to ride Firechaser Express...It was down every time I passed by it. There was a lot of issues with other rides but I at least got a ride on them while they were operating. I'm sure Dollywood has had busier days so they know how to do it, I just guess it was early in the season and this was their first hiccup. All in all though, I had a great time. I got to ride LR for the first time and it is my top 5 now. By far the best RMC I've rode so far. The only ones I haven't rode yet are Medusa, Cyclone, Outlaw and the one in Sweden...So, I'll see again when I ride those...But for now, LR is the best RMC imo.

Did you happen to get a number of people in attendance? Another good way to judge is by how much of the parking was in the Splash Country lot. Last season Dollywood had a few days with attendance slightly over 35,000 people.. that's roughly the same as a slow day at Disney and if you have been to Disney on a slow day, that's a lot of people.. Parking was all the way into Splash Country on those days

BTW those were record days for the entire history of Dollywood last year. I was there on one of those days and most rides had no issues. The issues on those days had to do with Dollywood planning for less than 15000 on the day I was there so operations were close to the bottom. They were horrible that say

^LOL to all the people saying it needs a shoulder harness because they got lifted out of their seat too much. If they think that then they not ever need set foot on another ride...EVER.

^LOL to all the people saying it needs a shoulder harness because they got lifted out of their seat too much. If they think that then they not ever need set foot on another ride...EVER.

Exactly. Heck, there was even another comment where someone said they hope Dollywood sues RMC for the coaster being closed all the time. People are just beyond stupid these days.

I was also informed from staff that this was the reason for most of the technical issues the rides were having that day. The ride cycles were heavily increased due to the crowds and some of the workers there said the rides wasn't prepared.

The amount of cycles per hour shouldn't increase at all on busier days and they most likely don't unless operators only choose to hustle when the park is busy for some reason. The only ride where this might actually be an issue is on Tornado if they decided to actually run 2 trains for a change since I've personally never seen that ride run more than one.

LR was up and down very frequently yesterday. They would load a train and then request everyone step back inside the gates just before dispatching... this happened twice to me, and I witnessed it a third time. It was rare to get through an hour without it going down. It's definitely operating more consistently than last year, but I don't think they're quite to the finish line yet.. all of these little hiccups are starting to come out of the woodwork. I'm still keeping a fairly positive outlook on it, the profound negativity from some people (especially enthusiasts from other circles of the inter-webs) annoys me.. Don't get me wrong, I get it... but it's still a great ride either way.

'Tornado runs two trains pretty much every Saturday if they have enough people to staff it, it actually had a longer wait than Eagle yesterday... which is odd for a Sunday.

LR was up and down very frequently yesterday. They would load a train and then request everyone step back inside the gates just before dispatching... this happened twice to me, and I witnessed it a third time. It was rare to get through an hour without it going down. It's definitely operating more consistently than last year, but I don't think they're quite to the finish line yet.. all of these little hiccups are starting to come out of the woodwork. I'm still keeping a fairly positive outlook on it, the profound negativity from some people (especially enthusiasts from other circles of the inter-webs) annoys me.. Don't get me wrong, I get it... but it's still a great ride either way.

'Tornado runs two trains pretty much every Saturday if they have enough people to staff it, it actually had a longer wait than Eagle yesterday... which is odd for a Sunday.

Rumor has it that a lot of the downtime last year was due to a sensor on the gate shutting the ride down when folks pushed on it.. again, only a rumor that was mentioned several times last year.. nothing was every confirmed but your experience does help back that up..

Now this didn't lead to day long downtime but some of the 30 minutes or other short downtime was rumored to be caused by the gates