TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Open again today... MY GOD.

Rode front row first train, how can a coaster be that good? Instantly #1 Wood coaster... It's perfect

That's awesome! Glad the 2nd trip across the country paid off! I feel blessed to live within 30 minutes of it. Can't imagine being far away.

Open again today... MY GOD. Rode front row first train, how can a coaster be that good? Instantly #1 Wood coaster... It's perfect

That's awesome! Glad the 2nd trip across the country paid off! I feel blessed to live within 30 minutes of it. Can't imagine being far away.

YEAH!! So glad it was open for you! We finalized our reservations this morning for this summer to get down there for our first rides on LR and can't wait.

Today would be a great day at the park if you have a poncho and some rain boots! We have had some very heavy rain over the last 24 hours. Hardly anyone at the park today. I saw another regional park carowinds closed early today due to the weather.

Hey y'all we're headed up Wednesday from Atlanta and I know the park opens at 10 but do they let you through the gate or rope drop earlier to line up for the rides? Also am I able to drive to the front area to drop off my parents and double back to the parking lot? Here's hoping LR is running!

Thanks,

H

Hey y'all we're headed up Wednesday from Atlanta and I know the park opens at 10 but do they let you through the gate or rope drop earlier to line up for the rides?

No. You can get through the gate into the Show Street area. Exactly where the ropes are has changed a few times and I'm not sure where they are this season. I never made it in before opening this season, and only once (in June) last year.

Usually you can almost get to Thunderhead (end of Timber Canyon), and down near Celebrity Theater, and the bridge to Jukebox Junction.

Also am I able to drive to the front area to drop off my parents and double back to the parking lot? Here's hoping LR is running!

In the past yes, but it seemed to be discouraged. Better to drop them at the tram stop for the section you are in then park.

They moved valet parking to the group/preferred entrance and may take a harder stance on driving to the entrance now.

In theory, if you pay for the preferred lot, you could go to that entrance (like going to valet) and drop them off, then up the hill to the preferred lot. I accidentally did that once (when it was only buses) and I missed the turn for the preferred lot.

You definitely don't want them walking up or down that hill though.

Last week when I was there (Thursday) it looked like Drop Line is mostly done but they are still working on themeing, more exactly they were working on the "pond" on Thursday.. They had guys working on the pumps and stuff when I was there.. the Pond had not been filled yet. They were also working a few smaller things it looks like for Drop Line

So at this point, they aren't 100% done with it but we might get lucky with a soft opening early May! Who knows!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

It looked like the ride was done and I know it has been testing but the area itself isn't there just yet.. The pond was the biggest area that still needed worked. I'd imagine, when it's done, in theory, the ride could probably open.. I doubt it will open before the pond is finished though..

The opening date for the ride has been said to be "early to mid May" from several interviews I have seen with Pete

As for an exact date, none have been said to my knowledge

The opening date for the ride has been said to be "early to mid May" from several interviews I have seen with Pete

Of course early to mid May is open to interpretation. I guess the first 3 weeks of May could be claimed to be included, maybe even the 4th week (leaving only the last, partial week to be called late May).

Just odd that there hasn't been much speculation about it. Things like "I heard from the Dipp'n Dots guy that it's supposed to open 2nd weekend in May" or other random dates.

I guess it's mainly because this is so "new" to Dollywood.. Six Flags is big on unannounced soft openings.. I have gotten lucky and caught several of them..

With Dollywood normally having rides open BEFORE the park opens, they never really deal with soft openings..

I wonder how much of this was planned and if this is going to be the new trend for Dollywood? Most parks wait and open their rides around May and use the new ride being built as advertising and say "upgrade to a season pass today and return to enjoy the NEW RIDE ride this summer".. I wonder if Dollywood is going to start doing the same?

I know it has been said that these new rides were a late decision but is that really true? Only management knows lol

Edited by dstephe9

Also, not giving a hard date makes sure the same thing that happened to LR doesn't happen again.. Last year the mugs said LR would be open in March and we all know that didn't happen

That sounds about right! I'd imagine the pond area would be done by this weekend so that gives them another week to finalize the other small stuff I saw them working on last week.

With that being said, if Dollywood does try a soft opening, I'd imagine they could next week if the pond is finished.

While they were at it, they should have built a better berm between the pathway going up to Timber Canyon and the new parking lot. Since they built those lots, that pathway feels like it under the parking lot. Which it is. Dollywood always had such excellent isolation from the parking lot before that.

Going to DW in 2 weeks....whats the magic seats on all the coasters, especially LR. Thanks!

I'd like to know this as well. I'll be able to stop by for about 4 hours then while on another trip, so I'll probably be able to do each just once to get everything in.