TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Nothing is safe on LR. I've been on and had change Flu by my head, had to duck from a phone during the quad down and then caught a mans hat in the wave turn.

I had everything zipped up and was going to remove the jacket when they said in zipped pockets was ok.

If not for the chill (50s) this morning, I wouldn't have had the jacket with zippers.

Hey guys, quick question:

How large are crowds around spring break time, say, two weeks from now on a week day? Average wait time?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Well, I'm here this week for spring break.

Average wait? What ride?

General not long in the spring.

I didn't check a lot, but...

TH and WE were ~10 min of the day

FCE was 45 min everytime I looked.

MM and TT were 20-30 min, but MM was down a few times.

Warmer weather, later in the spring will be longer lines.

Watch the times using the app and see.

Nothing is safe on LR. I've been on and had change Flu by my head, had to duck from a phone during the quad down and then caught a mans hat in the wave turn. Something always flys haha

Ride in the front. Got it.

There's a reason parks recommend loose articles are either left on the platform or in rabbits.

But it still won't stop me from making a beeline for the rear. I loved the backseat on Outlaw Run and that Quad Down makes me wish I took use of one of my timeshares in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area.

Hey guys, quick question:

How large are crowds around spring break time, say, two weeks from now on a week day? Average wait time?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Well, I'm here this week for spring break.

Average wait? What ride?

General not long in the spring.

I didn't check a lot, but...

TH and WE were ~10 min of the day

FCE was 45 min everytime I looked.

MM and TT were 20-30 min, but MM was down a few times.

Warmer weather, later in the spring will be longer lines.

Watch the times using the app and see.

I check on and off daily and these times are accurate.. LR normally backs up quickly to 35+ minutes according to the app..

Anyone curious about wait times can download the app.. it's not like the old six flags app that requires you to be in the park to see wait times..

I find the apps wait times to be fairly accurate and on the generous side.. for example if it says a 45 min wait I'd expect it to only be 30 mins or so

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm amazed at how far folks will travel to come to Dollywood. I have lived within 45 minutes of the park for over 38 years and I was wondering what is the longest distance anyone's has traveled to Dollywood?

I live in upstate New York and drive 14 hours twice a year to go to Dollywood. Leaving to come down Thursday morning, can't wait!

Cades Cove is a must in the GSMNP.

The Chimneys and is also awesome place in the park to see the MTN's.

I have made the run up to clingmans dome a couple times before. I wasn't sure if the Cade's cove loop was worth it but I will def check it out this trip. Thanks a bunch.

The thing holding me back from exploring the parks hiking trails is that we can't bring our puppy with us. I was so excited when we brought him down last year to go hiking but we couldn't. Do any locals know of any non national park hikes in the area we can bring him with us. We love hiking with him.

Rainbow Falls is a nice hike, I was actually up in that area today as well.. hung up my ENO beside the river and napped for like 2 hours haha.

We should have met up. I didn't think about it until too late this morning and of course no cell signal.

Was originally going to do an easier hike, Baskin Falls, but I got confused as to where the trail head is. Ended up on Rainbow and went for it. My wife and daughter weren't thrilled at 2 hrs in, but the deer made them happy. 4 white tails. They crossed the trail in front of us, then parallel for a while before coming back and using the trail a while. Finally down to the creek just before the first bridge.

Rainbow Falls is a nice hike, I was actually up in that area today as well.. hung up my ENO beside the river and napped for like 2 hours haha.

We should have met up. I didn't think about it until too late this morning and of course no cell signal.

Was originally going to do an easier hike, Baskin Falls, but I got confused as to where the trail head is. Ended up on Rainbow and went for it. My wife and daughter weren't thrilled at 2 hrs in, but the deer made them happy. 4 white tails. They crossed the trail in front of us, then parallel for a while before coming back and using the trail a while. Finally down to the creek just before the first bridge.

It was a last minute decision for me haha

Wait, dogs aren't allowed on the hiking trails? Good to know but that sucks. It only takes a few a-holes with their off leash dogs running after wildlife/biting someone/not cleaning up after them/etc. to ruin it for everyone.

Wait, dogs aren't allowed on the hiking trails? Good to know but that sucks. It only takes a few a-holes with their off leash dogs running after wildlife/biting someone/not cleaning up after them/etc. to ruin it for everyone.

Dogs are not allowed in the entirety of the Smoky Mountains National Park which is absolutely ridiculous. Dogs honestly belong there more than humans do. It is nature. The fact that my dog isn't allowed to go in a natural forest really pisses me off.

That's unfortunate. We are currently planning our first trip down to Dollywood and GSMNP later this summer and have been trying to decide how many days to stay. We finally decided 2 days at DW and 2 days for hiking, but seeing as I can't bring my dog (we are avid hikers, dog is unbelievably well behaved, has very advanced obedience titles, and is always, always, always on leash - not only to follow the leash laws so prevalent in my areas but also to protect HIM in case something were to happen) I guess we will knock it down to 1 day of hiking. Bummer.

ETA - thedlr, thanks for that link! I had no idea dogs weren't allowed at many of the large national parks. We'll check out some of the other hiking areas nearby so we can include the dog.

Now this is the kinda wait for LR I like!!!!!!!! No downtime so far today that I've seen.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be the early ride for passholders. Going to be cool in the morning.

I'll be there, but mainly for shows tomorrow.

We finally decided 2 days at DW and 2 days for hiking, but seeing as I can't bring my dog

I guess we will knock it down to 1 day of hiking. Bummer.

For every dog like yours and owner like you there are a dozen that are trouble.

There are places you cab keep the dog while you hike and do other things in the area. I think DW has a day kennel.

ETA - thedlr, thanks for that link! I had no idea dogs weren't allowed at many of the large national parks. We'll check out some of the other hiking areas nearby so we can include the dog.

Many never check and get all offended is you point it out to them.

Dogs are not allowed in the entirety of the Smoky Mountains National Park which is absolutely ridiculous. Dogs honestly belong there more than humans do. It is nature. The fact that my dog isn't allowed to go in a natural forest really pisses me off.

Domesticated dogs belong there no more than other domesticated animals like cows, chickens, or pigs.

With that being said, depends on the ranger if the rules are enforced not. I was up there two weeks ago and the ranger just drove by three kids flying a Quadcopter (Drone). now I love drones and have a Phantom 4 but would never fly it in the national park as they aren't allowed in any national park..

Also, Laurel Falls usually only has a volunteer monitoring it.. I find the volunteers are a little more strict than the actual rangers and they do try to follow he no pets rule..

A lot of the trails that are less traveled have no one monitoring them. But still for your safety I would recommend not having dogs. Bears are bad in the area and I have seen them chase dogs

I personally try to follow all laws and rules in the park though because one or two people are what causes them to create these rules haha

With that being said, Dollywood does have kennels for pets and there are some hotels that will keep pets while you enjoy the National Park.. Dogs are allowed in campsites and picnic area just not on trails. Just keep them leashed, I hate it when I'm camping and cooking and a dog from another campsite comes over and their owners won't make them come back.. I know every dog owners feel that other people love dogs.. I don't hate dogs but I don't want them bothering me while I eat either.. the leash rule is there for a reason haha

But yah, the no pet rule is actually for MOST if not all National Parks, not just the Smokies around Dollywood

Just checked the app and saw the wait times. If anyone is at the park today and they hear that Dollywood is extending park hours until 9 (which they sometimes do with high crowds) post on this board so I can find out. We are heading up to Gatlinburg tonight and weren't planning on stopping at the park today. However if there is a chance we could catch some night rides we may change our plans a bit .

Regardless we will be there again tomorrow!!