TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

The comfort collars on Tempesto are dumb and feel completely pointless. They are not tight to your body (and I'm a big dude) which is great as you still get airtime and move around a bit in the seat but those trains are already a huge PITA to get in and out of, seemingly even for smaller people, and the comfort collars only make it a more frustrating and tedious experience. Once I'm in I don't mind the shin restraints or lapbars at all.

That said, I do like these rides, and rate the one @ Compounce (with lapbars only) very highly. Very fun rides.

Electric Eel looks great, and locals should be excited to have a fun coaster close to home.

Actually, as OTSs go, those look pretty comfortable. And I see no shin bar, so that's a plus. I've only been on SkyRockets with the lap bar, so I'm curious to see how this will compare.

There is a shin bar. Well, it’s more like a “pad” than a bar, just like every other Premier 2nd-gen train. Look closely.

Just confirming again that there will definitely be a shin guard here.

Side rant ahead:

IMO, Premier's trains have always been the worst features of all their coasters. Every single type of train they've offered is awful for some reason or another. They tend to go with a deep "bucket seat" design that when paired with the shin-guards ultimately gives your legs zero movement. I am tall and often get leg or hip cramps in Premier trains - I simply cannot sit comfortably or relaxed. They've got to rethink their trains and more specifically the seat-restraint interface. RMC has the same exact restraining system (floor-pivoting lap bar and shin guard), but it's somehow implemented so much better.

It will be funny for guests riding Electric Eel consecutively with Manta, which might have the most comfortable trains on the planet (and ironically are capable of performing the same maneuvers as Premier coasters).

Looks really nice, and seems to be a great fit for the park! I haven't had a chance to ride one of these coasters yet, but they do look like a lot of fun! I will also echo that Premier's trains can be a tad on the uncomfortable side, at least speaking from my experiences on Sky Rocket at Kennywood.....that said, I absolutely love that little coaster!

I will also echo that Premier's trains can be a tad on the uncomfortable side, at least speaking from my experiences on Sky Rocket at Kennywood.....that said, I absolutely love that little coaster!

Right! I forgot to say that I really do enjoy the layout designs and launch accelerations that Premier uses! They often incorporate airtime and inversions and don't shy away from strong forces. Just those darn trains keep those coasters from being great to me.

Disclaimer: I don't think Skyrush's restraints are even that bad.

I actually think the seats and restraints on Premier’s 2nd gen trains are quite comfortable, they are just very crammed... especially when getting in and out. I could definitely see why taller people have an issue. But sitting in the seat during the ride is perfectly comfortable, for me.

I'm 6'2 and have no issues with the shin bars on the Premier trains on Tempesto, Phobia or Sky Rocket. The seats are a bitch to get in and out of, but once in the lap/shin bars are fine for me.

I feel like leg bars are, for the most part, gradually getting just a little bit worse with each new ride. Might be my imagination, since I'm comparing similar Premier/RMC designs. I'm just lucky I'm at a height (or build, or??) where they're usually not painful, just a bit awkwardly confining. (The worst for me were the original straight-across bars on Outlaw Run. And, oddly, the ones on Goliath seemed to cause mild skin irritation?)

I don't mind the RMC shin guards because they contour around the shin. I'm not a fan of the ones on Premier coasters since they press into the shins. I know they're soft, but it still isn't particularly comfortable.

Fortunately everything else about the ride is fantastic. I'm glad to see these popping up at more and more parks.

YMMV is all I can say. The shin guard cause my husband great pain everytime he's in them. To the point where he's basically had to give up riding all recent Premier rides that have that bar.

For the record, they don't bother me very much. But they just press against his legs at just the wrong angle, apparently.

• 2 weeks later...

Just once of like to see one of these rides be enclosed. Just think how much more thrilling such a dark coaster would be. I love dark coasters. I've only been on two, Space Mountain and The Mummy at USH. I've always wanted to ride one of the old Premier launched "spaghetti bowl" coasters, but alas they never built one on the west coast. Which is surprising really. Paramount installed two back east but never built one at CGA. I wonder why.

Just once of like to see one of these rides be enclosed. Just think how much more thrilling such a dark coaster would be. I love dark coasters. I've only been on two, Space Mountain and The Mummy at USH. I've always wanted to ride one of the old Premier launched "spaghetti bowl" coasters, but alas they never built one on the west coast. Which is surprising really. Paramount installed two back east but never built one at CGA. I wonder why.

They all look fine outdoors. A giant building would be ugly.

^ It wouldn't be ugly if it were properly disguised. And it doesn't have to be a building. It could just be exterior siding attached to the structure. All I'm saying is it would make for a different experience in the dark, not that it's not already fun. Nor am I saying they should all be enclosed. I'm just saying I'd like to see one someday somewhere be enclosed. If it ever happens it would probably be in China where I'll never get to.

That said, I can't wait to get down to SW next year and ride this thing. I enjoyed Superman at DSFK and the extra theming and animal exhibit should make for an even better experience.

^ It wouldn't be ugly if it were properly disguised. And it doesn't have to be a building. It could just be exterior siding attached to the structure. All I'm saying is it would make for a different experience in the dark, not that it's not already fun. Nor am I saying they should all be enclosed. I'm just saying I'd like to see one someday somewhere be enclosed. If it ever happens it would probably be in China where I'll never get to.

That kind of coaster is tough to enclose properly because of noise. Part of the reason why most "themed" launched coasters are spaghetti bowls is because they allow for long launch and brake run sections in between the station and the main circuit, allowing the two areas to be separated physically, thematically and audibly. It's a big deal for destination theme parks because guests shouldn't be able to see the attraction's show building from the normal pathways. If you ever go ride Rock n' Roller Coaster at Disney's Hollywood Studios or the Paris studios park you'll notice how you can't see or hear much of what's going on after you watch the train launch.

Edit: Old video, but an example. Start at 4:58.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me or does picking a one train rollercoaster an odd choice for a park that is open 365? With most year round parks they can keep the ride open while they work on one train as they can use the second one. Ex. All coasters at seaworld Orlando have three trains.

Is it just me or does picking a one train rollercoaster an odd choice for a park that is open 365? With most year round parks they can keep the ride open while they work on one train as they can use the second one. Ex. All coasters at seaworld Orlando have three trains.

What makes you think they won't have an extra train?

Not really. There's lots of parks that have rides with only one train but have a 365 day operational year. The ride will close for a small period of time while maintenance is being performed.