TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walibi Belgium Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Walibi Belgium, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

February 7th, 2006 - Park announces new kind of coaster, a Mountain Glider (SEE BELOW)

June 6th, 2006 - Track work is complete

July 13th, 2006 - Vertigo opening is pushed back to 2007

June 14th, 2007 - Vertigo opens

October 10th, 2008 - Park decides to close the troubled Vertigo for good

January 8th, 2009 - Vertigo is dismantled

March 9th, 2009 - Turbine will be closed for the 2009 season

January 30th, 2011 - Plans to re-open Turbine revealed

April 6th, 2012 - Park officially announces that Turbine will re-open in 2013

May 16th, 2013 - More info on Psyke Underground (formerly Turbine)

July 6th, 2013 - Walibi Connect RFID social media system announced!

August 4th, 2013 - Psyke Underground song up for download on iTunes!

February 12th, 2015 - Park announces a Mack "PowerSplash" for 2016

June 22nd, 2017 - 100 Million Euro investment over the next 6 years to bring 10 new rides, including 4 new coasters. One coaster will be the largest and fastest in Benelux.

September 26th, 2017 - More details on the park's 6 year planincluding a shooting dark ride for 2019

September 28th, 2018 - Ride vehicle revealed for 2019 shooting dark ride "Popcorn Revenge"

February 9th, 2023 - Major Aqaulibi water park expansion announced!

Original Post:

It is going to be a new type of rollercoaster:

http://www.rcdb.com/nl/m/id3457.htm

http://www.3dba.com/?nid=5020

http://www.input-projekt.com/english/projekte/hardware/mountain_glider/projekt_hard_01.html

I used to design cable-stayed and arch bridges so this coaster concept is pretty nifty. It is a great idea for minimizing supports.

It is essentially a series of catenary suspension cables(straight drops) anchored by the towers that support the curved sections.

If anyone has access for construction pictures, I would be very appreciative. Just curious if they will construct the cable like other suspension bridges. The pics on the site show a sheathed suspension cable with steel bands. If constructed like a typical suspension bridge cable, this coaster may in fact have miles of tiny strands combined together for the main support.

Unfortunately, the drops and climbs are "pre-determined" by the end heights, cable span, and desired cable sag. These can be manipulated to give a good ride but the free-form curves in standard coasters are gone....unless they figured out some way to make the cable a bending member instead of a tension member.

I assume the reason for the four-man pod instead of a longer train is to minimize the deformation of the cable as the train crosses.

I hope to ride one of these very soon

So let me get this... it's a very slow B&M invert

More like a HUGE (180 feet!) Batflyer with better capacity. And I don't think it will be like a zipline, it probably has steel track just like a regular Batflyer. It's listed as steel on RCDB, and if it was just a cable, it wouldn't be a coaster. (Sky Rides aren't credits last I checked anyway! )

I think this looks really cool! It's really original, as it redesigns the bat-flyer, and hopefully it isn't a capacity nightmare. I personally think that it looks like it won't be, as there are 2 lifts, and the fact that it is 4 per train, instead of the usual 1 or 2 for the bat-flyers. Plus, there are more trains (eight) than the bat-flyers.

This is actually nothing like a batflyer....structure-wise. Sure, it's inverted and the track looks the same...but the batflyers have supports at relatively even spacing throughout the entire ride.

There is a steel tube sheilding a cable which acts as the "track". The cable is the main support element for the straight hills. Notice how there are NO intermediate supports between the towers....hence the catenary curve shape of all the drops. This ride is a series of suspension cable drops anchored by curved sections to line-up the vehicle for the next straight cable drop.