Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 177 - Animal Kingdom's 20th Anniversary Report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thr

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Tue May 15, 2012 10:49 am

Awesome pictures. Who says HDR is stupid? Not me.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:23 am

Amazing! Really makes me miss this place.

I haven't seen it brought up on here (apologies if I'm late to the party though), but Screamscape reported something interesting about more Safari changes coming:

(5/12/12) WDW News Today has a nice report about the current state of the Kilimanjaro Safari attraction at Animal Kingdom, now that the Little Red figure and plot story has been removed. Currently the finale of the ride has guests driving past long construction walls while the new Zebra habitat area is under construction. The old on-board soundtrack recordings featuring “Mr. Wilson” are now removed as well, replaced only by background music and sound effects.

While the current changes are set to be compelted by this Fall, apparently WDI’s Joe Rhode informed the attraction’s Cast Members that even more changes would be coming down the pipe for the attraction over the next 3-4 years. One of the planned future changes, would be the installation of a special Nighttime Safari version of the ride that would be an entirely different experience from the daytime version.

Of course the big news you can take from this is that Walt Disney World may be finally ready to get serious about opening up Animal Kingdom at night at last. Going back to the first major expansion of Animal Kingdom in Dinoland, Disney made sure to decorate the carnival ride style area with appropriately night-time lighting as a way to future-proof the area for when the park’s hours would be extended. The same could be said to Expedition Everest, but the longer daily hours never came. Of course, you may recall hearing about a proposed night event once in development for the park back in 2007 called Rivers of Light, which was put on indefinite hold and never heard from again.

With Avatar land lurking on the horizon, which will likely represent the single largest investment expansion in the park’s history, it would only make sense for Disney to finally extend the operating hours of the park, and come up with a whole laundry list of new evening / nighttime things to do in the park by then, which could include some kind of new nighttime spectacular as well.

I know that extended hours came up back when Avatar was announced, but it sounds like they could be more than just talk! I'd love to see this place open later and maybe get its own nighttime spectacular (looking at you, WoC/DD), it just needs enough to occupy people for the extra hours first. Cue Avatar!
Last edited by coasterfreak101 on Tue May 15, 2012 11:24 am.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Hockeyman55 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:23 am

Thanks guys =) I don't mind the HDR photos in moderation. I like a variety when it comes to picture taking and editing. Some pictures are perfect right out of the camera but some arent and need just a tiny bit of tweaking. Also editing helps cover up my lack of photography skills lol.

Postby Hockeyman55 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:27 am

coasterfreak101 wrote:Amazing! Really makes me miss this place.

I haven't seen it brought up on here (apologies if I'm late to the party though), but Screamscape reported something interesting about more Safari changes coming:

(5/12/12) WDW News Today has a nice report about the current state of the Kilimanjaro Safari attraction at Animal Kingdom, now that the Little Red figure and plot story has been removed. Currently the finale of the ride has guests driving past long construction walls while the new Zebra habitat area is under construction. The old on-board soundtrack recordings featuring “Mr. Wilson” are now removed as well, replaced only by background music and sound effects.

While the current changes are set to be compelted by this Fall, apparently WDI’s Joe Rhode informed the attraction’s Cast Members that even more changes would be coming down the pipe for the attraction over the next 3-4 years. One of the planned future changes, would be the installation of a special Nighttime Safari version of the ride that would be an entirely different experience from the daytime version.

Of course the big news you can take from this is that Walt Disney World may be finally ready to get serious about opening up Animal Kingdom at night at last. Going back to the first major expansion of Animal Kingdom in Dinoland, Disney made sure to decorate the carnival ride style area with appropriately night-time lighting as a way to future-proof the area for when the park’s hours would be extended. The same could be said to Expedition Everest, but the longer daily hours never came. Of course, you may recall hearing about a proposed night event once in development for the park back in 2007 called Rivers of Light, which was put on indefinite hold and never heard from again.

With Avatar land lurking on the horizon, which will likely represent the single largest investment expansion in the park’s history, it would only make sense for Disney to finally extend the operating hours of the park, and come up with a whole laundry list of new evening / nighttime things to do in the park by then, which could include some kind of new nighttime spectacular as well.

I know that extended hours came up back when Avatar was announced, but it sounds like they could be more than just talk! I'd love to see this place open later and maybe get its own nighttime spectacular (looking at you, WoC/DD), it just needs enough to occupy people for the extra hours first. Cue Avatar!

Ill tell you what, the night of the Everest Challenge was the first time I have been inside Animal Kingdom at night and it has an awesome different feel to it than it normally does during the day. I would love to see some later hours and nighttime stuff going on

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Tue May 15, 2012 11:58 am

The park was definitely a really neat atmosphere at night after the Expedition Everest Challenge, but some areas of the park were way too dark and required temporary lighting to be brought in, taking up precious walking space in that park. I'd love to see the park stay opened later once Avatar arises, but I think areas like Camp Minnie Mickey, Oasis, and that section between Africa and Asia would need more permanent lighting added.
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

Postby Hockeyman55 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:28 pm

Very true. There were some pretty dark spots scattered around even with the added lights orbs they had for us. Makes you wonder what they do for the maintenance workers who work over night trying to get things done in that darkness lol.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:02 pm

DerekRx wrote:The park was definitely a really neat atmosphere at night after the Expedition Everest Challenge, but some areas of the park were way too dark and required temporary lighting to be brought in, taking up precious walking space in that park. I'd love to see the park stay opened later once Avatar arises, but I think areas like Camp Minnie Mickey, Oasis, and that section between Africa and Asia would need more permanent lighting added.

Yeah, I think that's one of the big pieces they know they have to address before they can extend the park's hours. Dinoland has night-lighting set up and ready to go, but the rest of the park will need some upgrades! Who knows, maybe their $500 million price tag actually includes some of the prep work for the park to stay open later, if they've tied it into the project budget in some way?
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby OISU8P » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:20 pm

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby Top Thrill Dragster » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:22 pm

^The "before and after" photos were hilarious! Journalism at its finest.
Apollos Chariot #1!

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby OISU8P » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:22 pm

I had parties in college that can parallel the "before and after" photos but not from dressing up like Disney characters, just to many kegs. :lol:

That just proves that teenage boys will do almost anything for a little something something. Dressing up like Peter Pan like that back fired on him though. I imagine that was a pretty cold night with her. :lmao:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!