Knoebels Discussion Thread

Page 350: 2017 new ride announcement
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Knoebels Discussion Thread

Postby x2isawesome » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:48 pm

I need to quit reading this thread cause every time I do I start scheming to go back. The park is just perfect in every way.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:48 am

^The awesome thing about Knoebels is, to the first time visitor, it doesn't appear perfect. It looks like you are pulling into a flea market. Once they get inside and spend about 10 minutes there, they are hooked though!

I love that place.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:50 am

^And even repeat visitors can find something new!

I learned recently that I love their milkshakes from the soft serve location!

Postby jynx242 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:53 am

^ in my two visits, I've never tried those. Thanks for the tip!!!! :) :)

oh yeah - night rides on Phoenix are sublime and Twister is a damned good coaster in its own right - more lateral focused but really fun!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:57 am

Sometimes the new finds aren't all they are promoted to be. I was really looking forward to the pork chop on a stick. It was reasonably priced, but it was too dry and bland. But I'll give it one more try next visit.
Last edited by larrygator on Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:07 am.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby coasterbill » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:05 am

Phoenix is weird.

I guarantee that when you go down the (completely forgettable) first drop you'll be wondering what all the hype is about. After the first drop it goes up into a standard and uneventful turn. Following that it goes down another totally forgettable drop over two nice (but not amazing) airtime hills and heads up into another turnaround. By that point you'll probably be convinced that everyone is crazy.

Right at the end of that turn though, the train absolutely rips down that next drop with pretty impressive ferocity, almost as if to say "okay, enough of that bullsh*t... get ready to fly, b*tches" and you spend the rest of the ride wondering if you should put your hands up in the air or hold on so you don't get ejected from the train. Honestly, a ride like El Toro definitely has more powerful airtime, but Phoenix tests the limits of how much airtime you could have on a coaster with a buzz bar and no seatbelt. It's also the smoothest wood coaster running PTC trains possibly ever. Feel free to sit on a wheel seat, it really doesn't matter. Every seat on Phoenix is awesome.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby defrocker » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 am

We weren't even back to the station and my wife was declaring Phoenix her favorite wooden coaster. It's, honestly, amazing how smooth this thing is. Feels like it's gliding. :airtime:

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Genx24 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:16 am

jynx242 wrote:^The awesome thing about Knoebels is, to the first time visitor, it doesn't appear perfect. It looks like you are pulling into a flea market. Once they get inside and spend about 10 minutes there, they are hooked though!

This. When I went for my maiden visit last month, upon arriving I said to myself "This is the place everyone goes crazy for?" Fast forward a few hours, and I was grinning like a kid in a candy store, trying to think of how I can get back ASAP.
Skyrush/El Toro/Boulder Dash/Superman/New Texas Giant/Phantom's Revenge/Wicked Cyclone/Phoenix/Stormrunner/Xcelerator
Total coasters: 122

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby coneyislandchris » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:19 am

Genx24 wrote:
jynx242 wrote:^The awesome thing about Knoebels is, to the first time visitor, it doesn't appear perfect. It looks like you are pulling into a flea market. Once they get inside and spend about 10 minutes there, they are hooked though!

This. When I went for my maiden visit last month, upon arriving I said to myself "This is the place everyone goes crazy for?" Fast forward a few hours, and I was grinning like a kid in a candy store, trying to think of how I can get back ASAP.

For real. I was there on Tuesday and I'm already scheming on how to get back there one more time before Phunfest. God, I love that place.
That coaster dad [273] and that coaster kiddo [154]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: El Toro. Lightning Rod. Goliath (SFGAm). Wicked Cyclone. Thunderbolt (LP).

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:23 am

coasterbill wrote:Right at the end of that turn though, the train absolutely rips down that next drop with pretty impressive ferocity, almost as if to say "okay, enough of that bullsh*t... get ready to fly, b*tches" and you spend the rest of the ride wondering if you should put your hands up in the air or hold on so you don't get ejected from the train.

I make it a priority to take first-time riders on Phoenix on the ride in the very back seat just so they can experience the sheer terror of the double-down.
A theme park based on playgrounds? Check out this project that I've been working on!
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!