TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

So it's raining a lot today in PA.........should I be concerned about the possibility of Knoebels flooding or does it take an insane amount of rain for that to happen???

I live 15 minutes from the park...haven’t seen any flood watches or anything of the sort. We haven’t had much rain recently.

I just saw on accuweather that there was a flood advisory in Elysburg. But I'm guessing an inch of rain isn't going to shut down Knoebels for a week.

Should be fine. Like I said, we haven’t had much rain before today so the water levels are fairly low. The Susquehanna is projected to peak at like 8 feet in Bloomsburg which is 10 feet below flood level.

(sorry for the double post)

So about Knoebels..........

This park. THIS PARK. Wow does this place deliver and more to what I was expecting. This honestly was the first time I went to an amusement park I have not been to since 2012 and what a great place to end that dry spell. I will be joining the choir of those that sing the praises of Knoebels because it is now my favorite amusement park by far. Sorry Busch Gardens Williamsburg you have been dethroned. There's just something about a place where there's no gates, cheap food, cheap rides, cheap souvenirs, classic rides, great roller coasters, cool things to do and in that setting that makes you happy. Also loved the singing pumpkin faces I happened to stumble on the ones by Phoenix when they were singing "This is Halloween."

Phoenix Rode it 5 times and it is safe to say this is the 2nd best wooden coaster I have ridden after El Toro. So fun and the 4 airtime hills in a row were just roller coaster heaven

Twister Rode it twice the first time in the front during the day and that was wild, the double helix is phenomenal. Then the 2nd time at night in the pitch black at 45 degrees, what a rush.

Impulse Rode it 4 times and this ride is cool, it's not the quality of Phoenix and Twister but it's a great ride for Knoebels to have as it scratches the Steel Coaster with Inversions itch very well with lap bars only and hangtime. I was worried about not being able to fit for weeks and it was actually the most comfortable coaster by far and I had no issues whatsoever (the seat dividers on Phoenix and Twister though probably limited how much I wanted to re-ride those ).

Flying Turns Rode once because the line was sloooooooooooooow. This ride was really fun and cool and I was really getting up on the sides on that trough it was a blast me and my family members all got on one train so it was really cool.

Flyer Rode it 3 times and if I am being honest I think I've only gotten Flying Scooters to really snap once and it was at Kings Dominion. I only had a couple hard swings on it back then.............but then I rode this insane ride. As soon as I attempted to snap as this thing picked up speed it worked and I did it over and over and over and over the entire ride sometimes coming in inches of the trees seemingly. The cables made a few scary noises here in there while I was on it but man snapping cables really turns a calm relaxing ride into a blast. I just love the feeling when you feel the wind catch your car and you know you're about to be launched out. New favorite flat by far.

We also rode Haunted Mansion, Black Diamond, Super Round-Up, the Skooters (these were so fun), and the Cosmotron. My nephew, cousin, aunt and uncle rode Looper as well while I rode Flyer again since I didn't feel like trying to climb into those hamster wheels and be held in by a strap. I did not unfortunately get to sample as much food as I wanted but we did go to Cesari's Pizza and that pizza was delicious. Dinner we had chicken and waffles from the stand near the alamo and they were...........disappointing but that was the only low light of the day. All in all that place is amazing and I want to be there forever. I can't wait to go back.

I was worried about not being able to fit [into Impulse] for weeks and it was actually the most comfortable coaster by far and I had no issues whatsoever (the seat dividers on Phoenix and Twister though probably limited how much I wanted to re-ride those ).

Sounds like you've got the opposite experience from me. I'm a tiny guy and Impulse gave me a stapling only matched by Skyrush. That said, being stapled in oddly enhanced the hangtime for me.

Yeah the two workers I had when I was there didn't appear to give a rats a** about the fact I was zooming all over the place. There were people snapping all day long it seemed. Granted they did both seem annoyed when my car stopped in front of them still swaying.

This park. THIS PARK. Wow does this place deliver and more to what I was expecting.

Knoebels has a truly unique charm to it that I've not been able to find elsewhere. The classic (and fantastic) rides, the excellent food, the friendly staff and the overall atmosphere of the park just make it an absolutely unique place to visit. It has been years since I've been, but it is very frequent that I look back on my last visit to the park and wonder when my next one could be.

I do want to point out that Twister was absolutely fantastic for my night ride in the cold. It produced one of the craziest rides I've ever had on a roller coaster. It might be after El Toro the most intense wooden coaster I have ridden. I'm surprised it's not talked about more but I suppose it's because Phoenix overshadows it. That was easily one of the best night rides I've ever experienced such a blast. My uncle was dying to go again but I wanted to get more Phoenix airtime in before the park closed.

(sorry for the double post)

So about Knoebels..........

This park. THIS PARK. Wow does this place deliver and more to what I was expecting.

I always told past friends that i would never go to Knoebels because i thought it wasnt going to be a park i liked or would enjoy. I was completely wrong this summer when i visited for the first time. Such an amazing park.

I do want to point out that Twister was absolutely fantastic for my night ride in the cold. It produced one of the craziest rides I've ever had on a roller coaster. It might be after El Toro the most intense wooden coaster I have ridden. I'm surprised it's not talked about more but I suppose it's because Phoenix overshadows it. That was easily one of the best night rides I've ever experienced such a blast. My uncle was dying to go again but I wanted to get more Phoenix airtime in before the park closed.

Twister is a criminally underrated ride. Aside from Phoenix, it’s probably my favorite wood coaster not built by Intamin or RMC. If Phoenix wasn’t a thing I feel like people would rave about that ride.

Twister is a criminally underrated ride. Aside from Phoenix, it’s probably my favorite wood coaster not built by Intamin or RMC. If Phoenix wasn’t a thing I feel like people would rave about that ride.

Yeah I’m trying to decide whether or not I like it more than the two “good” GCIs I’ve ridden or not (Thunderhead and Lightning Racer) not that this matters to absolutely anybody.

• 1 month later...

Knoebles removing an awesome ride? Is this the end of the world?

Certainly sad to see it go, that was an awesome little flat, though I believe it did have maintenance and downtime difficulties (at least it did when I visited). Hope it's replaced by something fun!

I will admit a part of me is hoping that we're misinterpreted what Knoebles meant by that post and that downdraft isn't actually leaving, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oh, man, I'm going to miss this one. I love that ride, so much more intense that it looks from the ground. I don't know of any others like it, either.

On the bright side, this is Knoebels, so I doubt it's getting replaced with a hot dog stand (and if it is, they'll be the best hot dogs anywhere).

Probably not too long until there's at least a hint as to what's taking its place, I hope.

^ The good news is that the manufacturer still makes the Downdraft, so Knoebels could also be taking it down and refurbishing it (old ride, new parts), or replacing it with an identical model.