TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

I am planning to be at Knoebels this coming Friday the 22nd for the entire day. Would you recommend that I get a ride all day plan? If so, is the $49.00 the cheapest way to do this? I appreciate the advice in advance.

I am planning to be at Knoebels this coming Friday the 22nd for the entire day. Would you recommend that I get a ride all day plan? If so, is the $49.00 the cheapest way to do this? I appreciate the advice in advance.

I purchased 3 $20 ticket booklets for $48 at a Weis market for my daughter and I. It was enough for the both of us, YMMV. If you are riding everything, go for the wristband. I would probably go for the wristband next time and marathon Phoenix and Impulse.

You can get a ride all day pass (which includes the coasters) online for $44. If you plan to ride the Haunted Mansion (which I recommend), this is NOT included in the ride-all-day pass and will cost you an extra $2.50. Alternatively, you can buy a $20 book of tickets at a nearby Weis grocery store for $16 per book (so basically, you could get $60 worth of tickets for $48 (these tickets CAN be used on the Haunted Mansion so no need to get additional tickets). All of the major coasters (except Black Diamond) are $3 to ride and most of the other major flat rides are in the ball park of $2 to 2.50 to ride. As such, you need to ride ~25 rides in a given day to break even using a ride all day pass (compared to buying the discounted tickets at Weis).

If you plan on staying (more or less) all day and you are going on a slower day and you intend to have (lots of) re-rides on the coasters, this is pretty easy to accomplish. If you only plan on hitting the coasters one or two times each and/or you only plan on being there for a limited number of hours, it's much harder to do. We go so frequently that the tickets are the best option... tickets allow us to leisurely walk around and ride what we want and not feel like we are pushing to get our money's worth from a ride-all-day pass. If we have extra tickets at the end of the day (which we frequently do), we just bring them with us for our next trip so there's never a loss. We've been so many times though that one ride on each of the coasters per visit is typically enough, so if you think this will be your only time going, the pass may be better for you.

When we went, crowds were low, and we planned on staying the whole day, so we got the wristbands. Totally paid for itself - I did some mental tracking as we rode things, and by the end of the day, we would've spent twice as much on tickets for what we accomplished. That said, though, I agree with others that it depends on crowds and how leisurely you wish to approach your day.

Yes, they offer the wristbands on weekends at both ends of the season, typically during the calendar weeks where they are only ever open weekends (early Spring / near opening and mid Autumn).

• 2 weeks later...
What places do people like to stay at?

My house. ZING!

An actual serious answer is...based on your trip itinerary. If you're doing a multi-park Pennsylvania trip, you might as well stay at whichever hotel you're staying at for the park before. Hershey (Hersheypark) and Allentown (Dorney Park) are within spitting distance of the park, you can easily do a drive from either of those cities to Knoebels in less than two hours.

Some closer surrounding large towns / small cities are Bloomsburg (historical college town) and Danville (convenient Interstate overnight stop). You could also stop in Reading which is kind of in the middle of all three parks.

I’m loyal to Choice for reward points so I’ve stopped staying there but if you’re not I just want to state again that the Super 8 in Danville is the nicest Super 8 in the history of the world and I’ve told them on multiple occasions that they’re way too good to be a Super 8 to which they always respond that they hear that multiple times every day.

Similar to the "Super 8 that's too good to be a Super 8", we stay at a "Days Inn that's much less scary than a normal Days Inn" and it's in a great location in between Hershey and Knoebels.

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/days-inn/jonestown-pennsylvania/days-inn-lebanon-fort-indiantown-gap/overview?CID=LC:DI::GGL:RIO:National:09915&iata=00065402

Seeing as how there's some sort of hotel quality vortex in the area I expect my Holiday Inn Express to be comparable to the Ritz-Carlton. Although knowing my luck it will be a shit hole vs. the other more budget friendly hotels around.

How crowded does Knoebels get on weekends in July? Both amusement park and the pool. Assume it's considerably less crowded than Hershey and Dorney?

Even when it's packed, it's never bad because they want to turn rides over and get people through the line to make money (ticket based economy, baby).

What places do people like to stay at?

I stay at the Red Roof in Danville because I generally come from the west. It was renovated a couple of years back and is nice for what it is. The objective best hotel in the area is probably Pine Barn Inn next to the hospital in downtown Danville. I've stayed there 4-5 times and if you want a bigger room (like a suite) it's the best option.

I’m loyal to Choice for reward points so I’ve stopped staying there but if you’re not I just want to state again that the Super 8 in Danville is the nicest Super 8 in the history of the world and I’ve told them on multiple occasions that they’re way too good to be a Super 8 to which they always respond that they hear that multiple times every day.

Glad to hear that...booked a room there in August. I usually tend to radiate towards Super 8's if I'm looking for a quick overnight stop and haven't struck out as often there as I have at Econolodges or Motel 6's. Another good Super 8 is the one up the street from your favorite now defunct park in Altoona.