TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

A group of 3 of us are planning on going to Knoebels this summer. I've heard good things about Flying Turns. Can you guys tell me about it? What was your overall impression the first time you rode it?

Because it's so small and you can't see the cars run down the trough very well from the queue, it's rather unassuming. But once you go up and over the second lift and into the switchback turns, you'll be pushing 65-75 degree banking as you go along. It's not "scary" but it's very unexpected.

When I went to Knoebels for PPP, out of curiosity, I had jotted down rides/prices to track if we got our money's worth on the wristband (we did pretty well after riding Phoenix 5 or 6 times)... I then checked the website and noticed they had updated the ride prices for 2018, so I compared them to see what changed. Seems like some kiddie rides jumped to $1.50, and any remaining $1 kiddie rides are now $1.25. As for family rides, any remaining $1.50 rides (except carousel) moved to $1.75 and a few thrill rides jumped to $2. Coasters stayed the same at $3. In all, about 1/3 the rides that I had ridden and jotted down a price for in October increased in price by 25 cents. So that's not too bad at all! Figured some Knoebels nerd might care to know.

I do wonder if there is a threshold they're hesitant to cross. Personally, coasters going above $3 and flat rides going above $2 would make the park look a little less affordable (obviously if you go to Weiss it looks a lot better). Any thoughts? I'm sure people felt that way when coasters jumped over $2 and recognize times change and prices adjust.

The only downside with Flying Turns is that slow moving line which is a stark contrast to basically everything else at Knoebels. But the ride is well worth it for the uniqueness alone.

and if the track gets wet, it seems to be down for hours until dry. . tho that is something that tends to be true of most "bobsled" type rides, even if FT is unique in that it's all wood.

When I went to Knoebels for PPP, out of curiosity, I had jotted down rides/prices to track if we got our money's worth on the wristband (we did pretty well after riding Phoenix 5 or 6 times)... I then checked the website and noticed they had updated the ride prices for 2018, so I compared them to see what changed. Seems like some kiddie rides jumped to $1.50, and any remaining $1 kiddie rides are now $1.25. As for family rides, any remaining $1.50 rides (except carousel) moved to $1.75 and a few thrill rides jumped to $2. Coasters stayed the same at $3. In all, about 1/3 the rides that I had ridden and jotted down a price for in October increased in price by 25 cents. So that's not too bad at all! Figured some Knoebels nerd might care to know.

I do wonder if there is a threshold they're hesitant to cross. Personally, coasters going above $3 and flat rides going above $2 would make the park look a little less affordable (obviously if you go to Weiss it looks a lot better). Any thoughts? I'm sure people felt that way when coasters jumped over $2 and recognize times change and prices adjust.

that parking is free, and admission to the grounds is free, go a long way to even out even higher individual ride prices.

they would have to jump to over $5 a coaster, $4 a flat, before I started to worry about cost. . . but I still would go and not really think about it.

(heck, I can blow over $50 just playing Fascination and be happy to be at Knoebel's. . so it doesn't impact me negatively if they increase).

now.. . was the ski lift running when you were there?

and if the track gets wet, it seems to be down for hours until dry. . tho that is something that tends to be true of most "bobsled" type rides, even if FT is unique in that it's all wood.

Reason being, from what I understand, is that the coaster has a safe operating "speed envelope". If it's going too fast or too slow, they take it down. I believe that was one of the problems that they were having initially when the trains would jack-knife around the turns.

^^I don't disagree with you there. The free parking and reasonable food are just critical. I just like tracking things like this out of curiosity. It is probably of concern to some people just not to me. Yeah, ski lift was running ($4/ride). We rode it and witnessed a skeleton as the guest on one of the chairs as we descended. A nice spooky touch.

^^I don't disagree with you there. The free parking and reasonable food are just critical. I just like tracking things like this out of curiosity. It is probably of concern to some people just not to me. Yeah, ski lift was running ($4/ride). We rode it and witnessed a skeleton as the guest on one of the chairs as we descended. A nice spooky touch.

LOL. the skeleton on the ski lift is charming

• 4 weeks later...

I've done a little research on Knoebels and I have a couple questions about their cabins.

How's the cleanliness? Are they run down or are they OK? AKA - Bugs crawling all over the place? Comfort? I'm big on smells, so if it smells like mold, I'm out. Basically, I'm a little bitch when it comes to this stuff, which is why I can't bring myself to do a cottage, as they look pretty damn questionable.

How about the facilities? I saw some review pictures where the toilets didn't have seats, wtf. Are they equipped with showers? How's the cleanliness? Are the bathrooms nearby to the cabins, or am I going to be taking a ten minute hike each way in the middle of the night when my 8 year old school girl bladder has to use the pisser every couple hours...

How far are most of the cabins away from the park?

Does anyone have any real input on the cottages in relation to the aforementioned questions? Again, I'm huge on smells. If it smells like mold, that's a no go. We were looking at possibly the school house or the covered wagon, which will be much cheaper than our next few nights' stay at Hershey Lodge. Are these cottages pretty much right next to the park? Emily is really digging the covered wagon and we'd probably do moonshine that day. I was kind of looking forward to a dry park day, since we only drink once a week and we planned the Yuengling Brewery into the trip. But the Hell with it, since it's vacation, I guess.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I stayed at the campground last summer, but just in the tent area, so I can answer just a couple of those.

There are bathrooms and showers, and Knoebels does a decent job of cleaning them, but they are concrete bomb shelter type buildings. There are only a few of them scattered around, so you could be close or not. When you call Knoebels, have the campground map available, and they'll tell you which ones are available and you can choose. So call early.

None of the cabins are close to the park. All the close spots are tent sites. They do have a shuttle bus that picks you up right behind the Trading Post (#21 on the park map, top left).

You have to have a pretty big tolerance of "camping"-related things when staying at Knoebels. The facilities at the campsites are essentially as clean as they'll ever get for what they are. When I showered during my stay, there were daddy long-legs crawling on the ceiling. I recognize that it's to be expected when camping, but I also consider anything remotely related to camping to be f**king awful and suffered through it only because Rikki is some masochist or something and likes it.

If it's just for one night, maybe suffer through it, as the proximity to the park really can't be beat, but if your tolerance level is worse than mine, you might be better off at finding something else.

You have to have a pretty big tolerance of "camping"-related things when staying at Knoebels. The facilities at the campsites are essentially as clean as they'll ever get for what they are. When I showered during my stay, there were daddy long-legs crawling on the ceiling. I recognize that it's to be expected when camping, but I also consider anything remotely related to camping to be f**king awful and suffered through it only because Rikki is some masochist or something and likes it.

If it's just for one night, maybe suffer through it, as the proximity to the park really can't be beat, but if your tolerance level is worse than mine, you might be better off at finding something else.

Right there with you.

when we visited a few years back? the closest we would come to "camping" was to stay at the Comfort Inn, that was in the Walmart parking lot in the town about 15 minutes away. That's as "nature" as We're willing to get

but at the end of the day, you're at Knoebel's.. and the cabin/tent/comfort inn is just a place to sleep

^haha. Truth.

Not afraid of bugs, flies, bees, Sasquatch, etc. I just don't like having trouble falling asleep from an inevitably deflating air mattress while some dude pounds Miller Lite and blasts Nickleback until 2am, until his pregnant girlfriend screams at him to come to bed for 15 minutes. Followed by waking from some sick f*** stoking up their fire and at 5am for breakfast while smelling like campfire and feeling like turds from the two hours of quality sleep I got. This is usually followed by Emily and I looking at each other feeling like we're hung over and saying "Let's get the F*** out of here," and tossing everything in the car in record time. Instead, our high point in the morning actually would be taking a shower with sandals, while trying not to drop your soap and shampoo on the dirty ass floor and carefully dodging the aforementioned daddy long legs and mud dabbers. People love camping for a lot of different reasons, but that's what I come away with. It was pretty cool for me as a kid and I can imagine it would be pretty good as a dad. Being a childless 30 something, it's not awesome.

All that being said, we'll probably be bitches and go for the nearby Holiday Inn Express.

I have not camped in the Knoebels cabins, but even at Disney's Fort Wilderness they have a bit of that 'smell' you're talking about. I know exactly what you're talking about and I hate it also. I'm sure the Knoebels cabins have the smell, and from reading some reviews on TripAdvisor the smell from the bathroom will also waft over making you sick! I've hung out in the campground a bit, and it's certainly a PA Campground in need of some updates.

Stick with a hotel unless you're a true camper!

Not afraid of bugs, flies, bees, Sasquatch, etc. I just don't like having trouble falling asleep from an inevitably deflating air mattress while some dude pounds Miller Lite and blasts Nickleback until 2am, until his pregnant girlfriend screams at him to come to bed for 15 minutes. Followed by waking from some sick f*** stoking up their fire and at 5am for breakfast while smelling like campfire and feeling like turds from the two hours of quality sleep I got. This is usually followed by Emily and I looking at each other feeling like we're hung over and saying "Let's get the F*** out of here," and tossing everything in the car in record time. Instead, our high point in the morning actually would be taking a shower with sandals, while trying not to drop your soap and shampoo on the dirty A$$ floor and carefully dodging the aforementioned daddy long legs and mud dabbers.

You summed it up as best as I think anyone could. My idea of roughing it is a mid-range motel. #IndoorKitty

You know I love Knoebels to death but um...

... you're welcome.

HAHAHA. . yep, I think that's the one.

is it in the WalMart parking lot?

Yeah, but it's also a Comfort Suites so I assume it's a very good hotel. There's no such thing as a bad Comfort Suites, and that's probably the nicest hotel you'll find within any reasonable distance of Knoebels. Sorry Zach, your Hyatt card probably won't be necessary anywhere near Elysburg.

^haha. Truth.

Not afraid of bugs, flies, bees, Sasquatch, etc. I just don't like having trouble falling asleep from an inevitably deflating air mattress while some dude pounds Miller Lite and blasts Nickleback until 2am, until his pregnant girlfriend screams at him to come to bed for 15 minutes. Followed by waking from some sick f*** stoking up their fire and at 5am for breakfast while smelling like campfire and feeling like turds from the two hours of quality sleep I got. This is usually followed by Emily and I looking at each other feeling like we're hung over and saying "Let's get the F*** out of here," and tossing everything in the car in record time. Instead, our high point in the morning actually would be taking a shower with sandals, while trying not to drop your soap and shampoo on the dirty A$$ floor and carefully dodging the aforementioned daddy long legs and mud dabbers. People love camping for a lot of different reasons, but that's what I come away with. It was pretty cool for me as a kid and I can imagine it would be pretty good as a dad. Being a childless 30 something, it's not awesome.

All that being said, we'll probably be bitches and go for the nearby Holiday Inn Express.

You might want to avoid this place then. LOL

Campground near Knoebels