TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

A short photo set, mainly from Impulse (because it's new since my last visit) and Skloosh (because it's fun to photograph).

20170717_0242.jpg

Lots of great pictures there! I think this one was my favorite, along with the "nerd-shot"!

And the Skloosh pics were a lot of fun too!

I was also there last Monday. It was my first ever visit to Knoebels after over a decade of hearing about it and making it one of my top most wanted coaster destinations. I was the guy walking around with the Zingo shirt. I finally bumped into a couple other enthusiasts who recognized it in the Phoenix station at the end of the day.

This place lived up to every expectation I had, which is incredibly rare. I absolutely loved Phoenix, Black Diamond, and the Mansion. Those three rides on an individual basis would be worth traveling anywhere for. Flying Turns, Impulse, and the Twister were very good also. The coal powered kiddie train was the only thing I hadn't heard about that surprised and delighted me. I got my fill of everything by the time the storm clouds moved in about 9ish and shut down Phoenix. I was going to ride Black Diamond a few more times, but it actually got stuck and the people inside were screaming for help - lol I took that as a bad omen and decided to call it a day.

I think this place is my second favorite place on earth only after Silver Dollar City. I may even try to come back next year to combine it with Kennywood and Lakemont.

I got my fill of everything by the time the storm clouds moved in about 9ish and shut down Phoenix. I was going to ride Black Diamond a few more times, but it actually got stuck and the people inside were screaming for help - lol I took that as a bad omen and decided to call it a day.

I rode Phoenix at around 9PM and then tried to go to the Pioneer Train for a night ride in the woods, but the weather-related shutdown occurred just after I got in line for that. So, I headed over to the Skooters (one cycle wait, still operating) and then decided to try my luck with Phoenix at about 940 -- to find it was open again! Sadly, they shut the line down at 950 so I only got one more ride.

Turns out the last thing operating in the park was Fascination -- didn't close down until about 1010PM. They finished the night out with a three ball cover-all game -- which I lost miserably at.

DE_GWg-XUAAyxM6.jpg

They do allow it in the campground though, although their official policy basically says they "discourage" it, IIRC. As long as you're not staggering around drunk or just generally being a drunken moron, they don't have a problem.

Hey, you'll never guess what happened...

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

Luckily the water is receding and as of now the park is scheduled to be open today but a few areas may be closed for cleaning. I assume one of those things will be the miniature golf course based on this video.

I feel like this has been explained before, but why is Knoebels' still allowed to flood all the time? It seems like the state/county/etc hasn't put any effort into flood control here. Knoebel's isn't as small and insignificant as it once was. Anywhere else would have seen some sort of action taken at this point. Probably too much to expect a new flood control lake, but some channel widening or something would eliminate a few of these smaller floods at least.

I would argue that so long as they immediately close the park for the safety of the guests when something like that happens (which, apparently, they did) and take the necessary precautions to ensure that evacuating guests remain safe as they leave, I personally wouldn't see an issue.

That being said, they're in an unfortunate position, being right in the middle of that network of creeks and streams. The two big reservoirs are controlled with fairly large dams, but there's also a smaller one where the water just kind of flows over. There's also a small lake connected to the network on the golf course, and a wider run along the parking lot and the road.

I feel like this has been explained before, but why is Knoebels' still allowed to flood all the time? It seems like the state/county/etc hasn't put any effort into flood control here. Knoebel's isn't as small and insignificant as it once was. Anywhere else would have seen some sort of action taken at this point. Probably too much to expect a new flood control lake, but some channel widening or something would eliminate a few of these smaller floods at least.

How do you know nothing has been done? Maybe its just the location.

This same thing happens at Hersheypark in the zoo. The creek floods there too.

Don't worry everyone, I'm here.

Go get yourself some Perogies. Please consult the Perogie map below. This is the ONLY PLACE where you should get the Perogies. The other Perogie places are imposters.

Finally visiting Knoebels for the first time on Wednesday, so I thought I'd consult this, and thank Bill for his handy guide. Can't wait to try some (and ride the hell out of Phoenix!)

What? It flooded a few days before I got there the weekend of July 28-29? I never knew that.

But on the two days I was there to ride a few rides and play Fascination and Pokereno, there was a light rain and light crowd on Friday. Saturday had sunny skies and huge crowds visited the park. That was the first time I've ever saw The Phoenix and The Twister run double trains, not to mention long lines on the Log Flume, Haunted House, and Black Diamond Mine. IMPULSE had all its lines filled up, but I got up and rode it because I was a and that line was empty. I wanted to try out their newest ride OVER THE TOP, but that ride was out of service ( so was Power Surge, Downdraft, and 1001 Nights on Friday, but got Power Surge running on Saturday). I played some pinball and cashed out some the Fascination Coupons and Playland tickets so I could take home some stuff. I still have tickets left over for a return visit.

KNOEBELS - The park that all other parks wish they could be like!

What? It flooded a few days before I got there the weekend of July 28-29? I never knew that.

But on the two days I was there to ride a few rides and play Fascination and Pokereno, there was a light rain and light crowd on Friday. Saturday had sunny skies and huge crowds visited the park. That was the first time I've ever saw The Phoenix and The Twister run double trains, not to mention long lines on the Log Flume, Haunted House, and Black Diamond Mine. IMPULSE had all its lines filled up, but I got up and rode it because I was a and that line was empty. I wanted to try out their newest ride OVER THE TOP, but that ride was out of service ( so was Power Surge, Downdraft, and 1001 Nights on Friday, but got Power Surge running on Saturday). I played some pinball and cashed out some the Fascination Coupons and Playland tickets so I could take home some stuff. I still have tickets left over for a return visit.

KNOEBELS - The park that all other parks wish they could be like!

Next week was planned to be my first trip to Knoebels. I am injured and the family is going without me. Knowing that the food is great and because I know everyone here likes to rank specifics I'll throw out this question:

What are the top five foods at the park?

I think three of the biggest fan favorites are Cesari's pizza, the pierogis, and the deep fried cheese on a stick. My personal top 5 for Knoebels food is:

1) Fried Chicken Sandwich from the place by the Flume

2) French Fries by the place near Power Surge

3) Cesari's Pizza

4) Pierogis

5) Traveling Taco

Five favorite foods at Knoebels. Okay, that's gonna be a challenge.

Open faced roast turkey sandwich @ Alamo. Just sooo good drowning in a lake of delicious gravy.

Sicilian Pizza from Cesari's. Other pizzas there almost as good.

Sundaes from the Old Mill. MUST be eaten under the water powered rotating canopy or it doesn't count.

Traveling Taco. Yes you can get them anywhere. No, they're not the same.

Waffle ice cream sandwich.

Honorable mention to the chicken and waffles at the Alamo; I wanted to pick from five different places though.

Apologies for my heresy for not including the pierogies; I can't do onions so I've had to pass on them. I know.

Has anyone tried the new Nickel Plate Bar and Grill yet? Does it live up to the rest of the Knoebels food?

Apologies for my heresy for not including the pierogies; I can't do onions so I've had to pass on them. I know.

Is it an allergy thing or a taste thing? If it's the latter you can order them without onions. I generally do.

If it's the former then nevermind, I believe they're cooked with them.

Is it an allergy thing or a taste thing? If it's the latter you can order them without onions. I generally do.

If it's the former then nevermind, I believe they're cooked with them.

It's just a taste thing. The taste of them just makes me violently sick. I'm sure it's entirely psychological, but I've never been able to get over it. I'll be at Knoebels in a week and a half or so, so if I can get them without the onions I'll try them then.

Top 5 (in no particular order):

Walking Taco

Pork Chop on a Stick

Fried Cheese on a Stick

Waffle Ice Cream Sandwich

BBQ Chicken from the Oasis

I'm also headed to Knoebels in the near future and noticed Downdraft is listed as "Closed" on the website. Anybody know anything about it?