Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

P. 1195 - Supergirl (Zamperla Endeavour) announced for 2019
Users viewing this topic: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Postby SteveStL » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:05 am

prozach626 wrote: The best bone we could possibly be thrown is a Wonder Woman clone. Don't hold your breath.

Or another Transplant

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Danrarbc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:49 am

bluestreak wrote:I'm under the mindset that parks will never ever get anything big on an anniversary year because they're losing a year of free marketing. Say SFSL gets nothing in 2021 but then magically gets something huge in 2022. They can market the anniversary in 2021 and then have something awesome to market in 2022.

On the flip side of this, if they get a major awesome new ride in 2021, they only have that one year to get a huge marketing boost. 2022 would then have nothing major to to market, especially at a park like SFSL where major additions are far and few between.

Indeed. Cedar Point will also celebrate an anniversary soon and they've already said it'll be a two-year celebration. Along with the rumors that they are planning a ride around the same time basically tells you up front that they are planning a good sized project, but it'll probably be the draw for the second year.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Kevin Long » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:58 am

well other than being in St Louis for as long as it has, I am not sure what other draws they can push for the anniversary. Most local folks that want to go have season passes anyway (who could afford it otherwise). I think its middling level attendance is very stable and what would bring out new blood to the park? it would take a HUGE thing to bring folks from too far away that would not have come otherwise.

Kevin

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby SteveStL » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:53 pm

If You Build It, They Will Come!
...Just ask Holiday World (in the middle of nowhere, Indiana)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:55 pm

What I meant is that a raptor clone is basically our best chance at anything significant. But, that chance is so small there's no reason to get our hopes up. Anything larger than a Wonder Woman just doesn't even seem like a possibility at this point.

bluestreak wrote:I'm under the mindset that parks will never ever get anything big on an anniversary year because they're losing a year of free marketing. Say SFSL gets nothing in 2021 but then magically gets something huge in 2022. They can market the anniversary in 2021 and then have something awesome to market in 2022.

I'd never thought of it that way. I would imagine there will be special offers and possibly a few events for the anniversary.

Postby prozach626 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:02 pm

SteveStL wrote:If You Build It, They Will Come!

I've come to believe it's more complex than that. Will they come in numbers enough to justify the expense of a massive ride over time? Will spending that kind of money at SFSTL get the same return as it will if that money is spent instead at Great America, Magic Mountain, or Great Adventure? Will SFSTL lose any money by staying on the same track it's on now? My guess is no to the first question and yes to the second.

If you look at the chain as a whole the money seems like it's spent better elsewhere than SFSTL. Go with what is working. Go with what is safe. It's smart business.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby bluestreak » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:00 pm

prozach626 wrote:

I'd never thought of it that way. I would imagine there will be special offers and possibly a few events for the anniversary.

My point exactly
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

Ass is another word for Donkey!

Postby teacherkim » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:22 pm

Yeah, but that is a bit of a misnomer. It is actually a day trip from St. Louis, Indianapolis, Louisville, Lexington, Paducah, Nashville and a few other places that I haven't thought of off the top of my head. All relatively small markets but together .......

In fact the whole discussion about "markets" is way more complicated than just the size of the city the park is located in. Dollywood's actual location doesn't have a huge population but obviously because of Smoky MT NP it is a big vacation draw, same with SDC. Unfortunately, St Louis isn't a huge vacation draw or quite the crossroads that Holiday World is.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby theymitbgi » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:15 pm

teacherkim wrote:

Yeah, but that is a bit of a misnomer. It is actually a day trip from St. Louis, Indianapolis, Louisville, Lexington, Paducah, Nashville and a few other places that I haven't thought of off the top of my head. All relatively small markets but together .......

In fact the whole discussion about "markets" is way more complicated than just the size of the city the park is located in. Dollywood's actual location doesn't have a huge population but obviously because of Smoky MT NP it is a big vacation draw, same with SDC. Unfortunately, St Louis isn't a huge vacation draw or quite the crossroads that Holiday World is.

This argument of st. louis not being a destination city seems ridiculous. Overall the City has so much more to offer than Branson, Santa Claus, In, or Dollywood area. Look at Forest Park alone, world class zoo, great art museum, science center, history museum, the Muny, professional Sports(Blues and Cardinals), The Arch, Shaw's Garden, Brewery Tour, Grant's Farm, City Museum and so much more. Maybe it's just that SFSL doesn't come close to what other parks offer while people visit STL to warrant a 30 minute drive for a mediocre park.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 pm

^ It's not ridiculous man. People don't vacation in St. Louis. It's just not a thing. Yes, we have a lot to offer, and a lot of it is free too. IMO only the Smithsonian offers more for free than Forest Park does. But people aren't coming, and listing attractions just doesn't counter that argument.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!