Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

P. 1067 - Typhoon Twister to be added to waterpark for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Postby LiftThrill » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:41 am

See, I've always enjoyed The Boss. I rode in October of 2015 and it was rough as all hell (the only other coaster that comes close is The Raven, and maybe Judge Roy Scream in a wheel seat) but still hilariously fun. This may just be a product of the lack of wooden coasters I've ridden but it's pretty solidly in my top 10 wood.
1. Millennium Force | 2. New Texas Giant | 3. Outlaw Run | 4. Maverick | 5. Iron Rattler | 6. The Voyage | 7. Goliath (SFGAm) | 8. Time Traveler | 9. Raging Bull | 10. Diamondback

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby thisdougsforu » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:56 am

I don't have much to add really other than to say that's the hardest I've laughed at a trip report in a long time. My wife actually took my phone away as I was laughing so hard so she could have a read and then cracked up herself.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:57 pm

Haha. Thanks. I hope SFSTL is at least making money from the discount days, but I fear they may be scaring off the well mannered customer.

I think things will get better at our park. There will always be off years and this may be one of those. Some of this is just bad luck. SF didn't have much blame, if any, for the new slide being down. Highland Fling was on its last leg and had to be removed. Without a new attraction, what are they supposed to do with the pad? From what I understand, there were quite a few problems with the Larson Loops across the board. I'm assuming Xcalibur had some issues that needed to be addressed.

From what I understand our maintenance department is pretty good, but sometimes when multiple unexpected issues arise, there's really nothing you can do about it. Power washing is cheap and so is paint, but time is not cheap or readily available. It takes hours of time just to power wash the concrete around our house and when you do painting right, it's more of the same.

Steve's right that our park receives a lot of neglect from corporate. WoF may be just as starving as we are for a new attraction, but at least CF pumps enough money into their budget to make WoF look nice and well kept. However, when you look at their collection of the definition of bland attractions I'll take SFSTL any day... Well... except maybe any non-discount day. Dave seemed to make more effort on attention to detail, where as I was hoping the new guy would bring us a larger attraction. So far, we haven't seen either and it makes me miss Dave.

Things seemed drastically different last year, but I have to give SFSTL another chance on a non discounted day. Regardless, I still appreciate the park for what is had.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:44 pm

That's all very fair. Boss is the best it's been since opening year, but yeah having multiple rides down for a majority of the summer season is not ideal. Understandable for the reasons you've outlined, but definitely not ideal.

Still hoping to go on the new slide; the last time we went was the weekend before it opened, so we're hoping to get up there and experience this before summer ends.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby bbmchl » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:27 pm

prozach626 wrote:Dave seemed to make more effort on attention to detail, where as I was hoping the new guy would bring us a larger attraction. So far, we haven't seen either and it makes me miss Dave.

Things seemed drastically different last year, but I have to give SFSTL another chance on a non discounted day. Regardless, I still appreciate the park for what is had.

I miss Dave. During his last several years I saw and spoke with him on almost every visit. You could feel his passion. The park was in his blood and I am sure whatever good things happened were strongly influenced by him.

Surprised no one has reviewed the new slide (unless I missed it). We went last week on a weekday (never go to the water park on weekends, it's too insane). So someone posted earlier about likely new signage. I was not there before the "accident" so I do not know what was posted before, but there are signs that state there is a 700 lb limit, hold on to the handles, and some of the other things they bark at you when you are taking off. Fun ride. There is an initial tube drop into an open slide which circles around into another tube drop which puts you into the wave wall. Once up and then down into the splash down. It is actually milder than tornado but fun because of the different elements.

We got there early so it should have been a walk on, but .... Seems like part of the new protocol is they weigh everyone. There is a carpeted scale in the corner of the platform that they make the whole party stand on to make sure the total weight does not exceed 700 lbs. A ridiculously long exercise. I'm a buck sixty and my two kids each weigh under 100, at 360 we are so clearly under 700 it was pretty stupid. If you have 4 people and a couple are pretty big, sure weigh them, but this resulted in at least doubling the wait times. It was a five minute load instead of less than two like on Tornado. Waited 30 minutes and the waits looked to be well over an hour later in the day. In contrast, we did tornado 3 times in 15 minutes right after. Same loading platform, same weight limit (first time I heard it in the spiel), same rafts, fraction of the load time.

We do the waterpark one or twice a summer, only on a weekday so I have to take off work. My 9 and 10 year old boys love it. As a former lifeguard/pool manager they do an excellent job with the water. Clear and blue. I agree with Teacherkim, wave pool, lazy river, Hook's all seemed well staffed as they need to be, but all of the slides seemed to be understaffed.

Back over in the main park, I did Mr. Freeze for the first time in several years (9 year old is finally 54"). Still don't like the reverse launch. did it twice, once in the front once in the back for the two different experiences. Fun, but time to turn it back around. (Yo Zach!)

Going to Great America this Thursday and Friday. Will be only our second major coaster park (did SFMM seven years ago). Doing two day 4 person Gold FP ($680). Incredible. More than double the cost of SFSTL and more than we paid for four gold season passes with gold season dining passes at our park.

Mike

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:29 pm

It's a shame, and a bit embarrassing, that so many rides have been down all summer. Shazam finally had its new ride vehicles put on this past week, so it should be operating as soon as the state inspectors come out. Xcalibur will definitely be down for the rest of the season- and I don't think the park really knows if it will ever reopen. No clue when Colossus is going to reopen- they're waiting on a replacement part. Those three have been down all summer, and while a lot of it is out of the park's hands (and budget), it's even worse when you already have the empty Highland Fling site just sitting there.
Top 10: 1. Outlaw Run 2. The Voyage 3. Millennium Force 4. Maverick 5. El Toro 6. Thunderbird 7. Powder Keg 8. Lightning Run 9. Raging Bull 10. Goliath (SFGAm)
Click here for my trip reports!

Postby prozach626 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:29 am

bbmchl wrote:Still don't like the reverse launch. did it twice, once in the front once in the back for the two different experiences. Fun, but time to turn it back around. (Yo Zach!)

I don't dislike the reverse launch anymore, but I don't like it anywhere near as much as I did the traditional launch.

If I could go back in time to stop any event in the history of the world I would stop SFSTL from turning Mr. Freeze backward.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:41 pm

I was hoping that was going to be a one year thing...
"Next, we are going to solicit the children of strangers so that we can go on a ride designed for children. This is so I can post online and impress other people who are very good at procuring unfamiliar children in order to go on rides designed for children, and thus have a higher arbitrary number than me."

Postby prozach626 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:52 pm

You and me both, Ed. I've learned to appreciate Mr. Freeze for what it is, but why change a good thing? I guess the general public loves it, so what's good for SFSTL is good for everyone, but it certainly ruined my opinion of the park. It was one of many things that caused me to personally hate SFSTL for at least five years. I didn't even drive the 50 minutes to the park for five years.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby theymitbgi » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:13 pm

It's funny how so much mention about Dave in the last few posts. I was at the park on Sunday and I was having the same kind of thoughts. Just seemed like we saw Dave almost every other visit and would always have a 5-10 min conversation with him. I couldn't even pick the new guy out of a line up if he was sitting in front of me.

Also new cars were on site for Shazam, they had NOT been installed yet.

Single rider line-Why do groups of 3-4 get in the line and then get pissed off when getting split up or keep trying to arrange the line so they all get called at once. I hate this!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!