TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

In reference to The Boss... Banked turn or over bank, I know I'm not alone when I say I'm glad the helix is gone. Without that last kick in the balls some of us might consider giving the ride a chance. Hopefully, they also did a decent amount of retracking.

With all this Boss talk... I completely forgot about Typhoon Twister coming to the water park this year!! Not going to lie, it looks like a REALLY fun slide:

thumb_sfsl_typhoontwister-overhead-view-_3__0.jpg

And I look forward to trying it out when we are there this summer!! . . . I just hope it doesn't have the god awful line that Tornado had.

This ride literally gives you the sensation of being flushed down a toilet. We have the same two rides here at our HH in Arlington. But ours were built as two seperate rides while this appears to be a hybrid of the two. Our toilet bowl ride is also called Typhoon Twister, while the other one is known as Sunami Surge. I remember one time, after riding TT, I said to the life guard, " I'm feeling a little flushed". We laughed out loud.

This ride literally gives you the sensation of being flushed down a toilet. We have the same two rides here at our HH in Arlington. But ours were built as two seperate rides while this appears to be a hybrid of the two. Our toilet bowl ride is also called Typhoon Twister, while the other one is known as Sunami Surge. I remember one time, after riding TT, I said to the life guard, " I'm feeling a little flushed". We laughed out loud.

I think the body slide versions of the "toilet bowl" make you feel more like your being "flushed" But yeah, I get what you are saying! I'm excited to get the combination of both slides in one! I think it will make for a fun experience. Usually once the bowl slide is finished you are expecting the splash down into the pool... But now instead of the splash down you get another awesome slide experience!! Hopefully more of these combo slides catch on!

I've only gotten the chance to see this rework a couple of times since it started. When it started at first, it looked as if it would dip harder out of the turn going to the new turnaround. By thinking that, I thought there was a chance we'd see a nice overbanked turn, much like on Hades 360... man, was I let down... They could have done so much better with this... but then again, I don't know why I expected more
The trains suck too badly to do much more then basic turns.

Actually, an overbanked turn wold be less stressful on the trains. There wouldn't be lateral G's, still the same positive G's as when hitting the bottom of the hills from the drops

I think the point your missing is that the current trains can't articulate through an overbanked turn. They would have to purchase a train like the timberliners to make that happen.

I've only gotten the chance to see this rework a couple of times since it started. When it started at first, it looked as if it would dip harder out of the turn going to the new turnaround. By thinking that, I thought there was a chance we'd see a nice overbanked turn, much like on Hades 360... man, was I let down... They could have done so much better with this... but then again, I don't know why I expected more

Actually, an overbanked turn wold be less stressful on the trains. There wouldn't be lateral G's, still the same positive G's as when hitting the bottom of the hills from the drops

I think the point your missing is that the current trains can't articulate through an overbanked turn. They would have to purchase a train like the timberliners to make that happen.

If the transition is sharp and quick, yes. But not if it is gradual, there wouldn't be as much of a snap as you'd think. Its just like any other bank, but instead of stopping at 15, 20, or 30*, it just keep s going, then back out. Take a look at Hades here, very gradual, not snappy at all like an RMC

hades360.thumb.png.e967263824b7238bccba5adb1830050a.png

If the transition is sharp and quick, yes. But not if it is gradual, there wouldn't be as much of a snap as you'd think. Its just like any other bank, but instead of stopping at 15, 20, or 30*, it just keep s going, then back out. Take a look at Hades here, very gradual, not snappy at all like an RMC

Perhaps I should clarify my response. The trains could traverse an over bank turn or even possibly an inversion. However long term the Gerstlauer trains will do what they do best, jackhammer, shuffle and ruin track. A 90 degree turn would turn into another maintenance nightmare. Now if they upgrade to better trains at some point in the future, a 90 degree banked turn would be a nice upgrade. Based on the picture it looks like it wouldn't take a massive amount of money to upgrade either.

That makes more, sense, yes, I agree with that and never thought about it that way. But too, the reason the Boss has had as many problem as it had was due to bad wood used in the past. If built properly, it would be no different than a PTC making it thru some of the coasters which have 90* or more elements, and they are much heavier and rough trains. Either way, it was just a pipe dream.

And yet another ride may soon be on the chopping block due to unexpected damage. Only speculation at this time, but it seems damage may have been found on Xcalibur that may not be repairable. The situation is still being assessed, hopefully it is nothing major and can be fixed. If not, Britannia is going to get very empty very quickly.

IMO pausing at the top while still spinning so that you're facing down probably is much better. Although, does the pendulum even pause momentarily at the top anymore? The last couple times I rode it we went straight past the top without any hesitation, so you disnt get a moment to enjoy staring at the ground.

Why not replace Xcalibur with a shiny new Zamperla Giant Discovery. If it turns out the ride is damaged beyond repair, a Discovery would be the perfect replacement.

A Giant Discovery costs at least 2 million dollars as far as I know. I can't imagine the repairs are going to cost that much.

Wouldn't such a switch require more room than there currently is in that location too?

I agree that it would fit in that space. It would swing out farther, but it'd be way up in the air when it's over existing paths, so it'd be fine. That said, I think the park knows Excalibur is a draw and wants to keep it running if possible. I don't ever want to ride it, but I do want it to stick around because I know people love it.

This should give you an idea how much room would be needed for a Giant Discovery. It's currently the biggest draw at SFOT. Even bigger than New Texas Giant.

I don't think that would fit in Excalibur's space - it looks at least twice the size of the current footprint -

maybe bulldoze the tired 1990's dragons wing and part of the dead end arcade of Thunder River and put it on top of Highland Flings dead corpse.

just a thought.