TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

^ That is very interesting. Makes me wonder if there are plans of removing the amphitheater. Its quite the chunk of land. Hmmmm.......

There aren’t any plans for the amphitheater to be demolished anytime soon that I’m aware of. I do, however, know that the park is committed to finding events that continue to appeal to the Christian music fans, along with a longer festival towards the end of the summer.

Edited by HWFan

^ That is very interesting. Makes me wonder if there are plans of removing the amphitheater. Its quite the chunk of land. Hmmmm.......

Nah. There wouldn't be anywhere else to host any large scale shows. I'm sure the park has something up their sleeves in the form of live entertainment. Probably something they anticipate will draw bigger crowds.

I'm hoping this means a return to legit bands in lieu of the religious knockoffs they've had for years. It's been a while, but the park used to have good concerts.

They did used to have very good shows but I had a discussion about this with the park's PR person at an ACE event and she said that the bands that have the biggest draw were the classic rock bands but they are way to pricey now for the park. I'm guessing it will be more along the lines of showcasing newer bands and/or some house bands that perform nightly. I am curious.

They will not book any band that has a price tag of more than the $75,000(ish) range for a show. If they get a few acts at a good negotiated low price, they may go over that $75,000 range for another, but rarely. So having that low of a budget, limits your choices greatly. The only way to get around it would be to charge a small fee like $10 or $20 for entry to the show, but even at full capacity of around 10,000, that's only $100,000 to $200,000 extra and wouldn't get all that much better of choices... not to mention IF they did charge, people wouldn't go, or at least not sell out the amphitheater. Mercy Me & Switchfoot's price tag is in the $75,000 -$150,000 range now, and that's just about out of the parks comfort zone, yes, some of the others they used to have like Casting Crowns, Third Day, and Newsboys are lower, but around that $75,000+ price tag still. The days of the BIG shows are long gone, but that goes for a lot of parks now a days. The workers that have been at the park since it opened in 71 still talk about the Beach Boys show the park held back in the 70's. Old Glory wasn't even built yet. A stage was built in the employee parking lot up in the maintenance area... but the really cool part was that they poured sand from the gate by Shazam all the way up to the concert area and lined the path with palm trees and string lights. As much as i think all parks need a large venue such as Old Glory, I think in the next few years, you will start seeing parks getting rid of them... not all parks, but some.

They will not book any band that has a price tag of more than the $75,000(ish) range for a show. If they get a few acts at a good negotiated low price, they may go over that $75,000 range for another, but rarely. So having that low of a budget, limits your choices greatly. The only way to get around it would be to charge a small fee like $10 or $20 for entry to the show, but even at full capacity of around 10,000, that's only $100,000 to $200,000 extra and wouldn't get all that much better of choices... not to mention IF they did charge, people wouldn't go, or at least not sell out the amphitheater. Mercy Me & Switchfoot's price tag is in the $75,000 -$150,000 range now, and that's just about out of the parks comfort zone, yes, some of the others they used to have like Casting Crowns, Third Day, and Newsboys are lower, but around that $75,000+ price tag still. The days of the BIG shows are long gone, but that goes for a lot of parks now a days. The workers that have been at the park since it opened in 71 still talk about the Beach Boys show the park held back in the 70's. Old Glory wasn't even built yet. A stage was built in the employee parking lot up in the maintenance area... but the really cool part was that they poured sand from the gate by Shazam all the way up to the concert area and lined the path with palm trees and string lights. As much as i think all parks need a large venue such as Old Glory, I think in the next few years, you will start seeing parks getting rid of them... not all parks, but some.

The Beach Boys must have been very early 70's. I can remember seeing Chuck Berry in the Old Glory, I think it must have been about 74 or 75? They had some big shows in the 80's as well. But, even older classic rock and such that play small venues now will still demand a price tag above the park's allowance.

The Beach Boys must have been very early 70's. I can remember seeing Chuck Berry in the Old Glory, I think it must have been about 74 or 75? They had some big shows in the 80's as well. But, even older classic rock and such that play small venues now will still demand a price tag above the park's allowance.

How does Magic Springs do it? They have several great shows a year

How does Magic Springs do it? They have several great shows a year

Well they must just buck up and pay for it. For whatever reason it fits their business model but not Six Flags business model.

The workers that have been at the park since it opened in 71 still talk about the Beach Boys show the park held back in the 70's.

It had to have happened after '76 as my parents have pictures of me as a toddler at that show.

Had a great time at Holiday in the Park last Saturday.

^You're part of the target market, which isn't a bad thing.

Six Flags has a business strategy that works for them. Although I prefer the bigger Cedar Fair parks to the bigger Six Flags Parks, I appreciate both options. It's great having the option of more budget friendly parks, along with higher priced slightly more adult friendly, cleaner, and less teen oriented options. (Or at least that's my perspective.

It's a nice time to have a diverse choosing of both styles of large corporate package deal offerings. Now, for the love of God, scrap Ninja and put a raptor in it's place. We will never get a hyper and our chances of RMC Boss are almost non existent, but I would be stoked if we got a Raptor. Keep the ride count the same, theme it to match the Batman area (Riddler?), and give that area of the park a breath of fresh air. I hate myself for dreaming.

As far as Old Glory goes, I don't see it going anywhere. It's there in the rare case it's needed and it's not robbing the park of any needed space. I would guess it costs very little to maintain, although it could use a new roof and some paint.

I wouldn't say it isn't robbing the park of space. That's definitely a nice piece of land that you could do something with. Not far off the size of the entire Britannia section. Not that the park would get that kind of budget anymore.

evrvjip.png

I saw a post on Instagram by a SFSTL fan page claiming that Pete Carmichael is heading back to SFNE. Any truth to this?

Believe so, a high level exec is retiring so lots of people are bouncing around. It sounds like we are getting the park president from La Ronde.