TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

^That's really interesting, Bill. Did they have cold wheels on their floorless? If so, I'm curious how that would compare to cold wheels Batman.

The limited number of rides really doesn't bother me. It makes the rides that are open feel more valuable, if that makes any sense. As much as I would want sky screamer and Screamin Eagle to run, I'm content with them staying closed. It makes me want to ride them that much more next season.

Prozach, I thought I saw you but I wasn't 100% sure if it was you so I didn't say hi lol! I passed by you in front of the candy store up by the Saloon.

You should have said something. Although, I don't know if I remember going up that way. Worst case scenario, you'll get a dumb look from a total stranger who you'll never see again, haha. Next time hit me up on here before hand and we can meet up for a beer or a chat. I usually try to stop by and see Josh, but the park was packed last night and we weren't on our own schedule, since we brought guests.

^That's really interesting, Bill. Did they have cold wheels on their floorless? If so, I'm curious how that would compare to cold wheels Batman.

I'm sure they were. The ride was flying. I think the heat lamps were more for the hydraulic floor mechanism than the trains themselves, though I'm sure it was a nice added bonus that it warmed the wheels a bit. The ride was flying and it was below freezing for our last ride of the night... about 10 degrees below Dollywood or Cedar Fair's running temperatures for a B&M.

The limited number of rides really doesn't bother me. It makes the rides that are open feel more valuable, if that makes any sense. As much as I would want sky screamer and Screamin Eagle to run, I'm content with them staying closed. It makes me want to ride them that much more next season.

I agree with this. In parks like Six Flags America and Six Flags New England it made the parks feel like much smaller parks, they actually felt more like family parks than Six Flags parks due to the great lights, friendly people (which is sort of the nature of a Christmas event) and lack of giant attractions. I sort of like that in a way (though of course, I'd rather they run all of their coasters but the events are still awesome and I can't complain one bit). It sort of makes you appreciate coasters you normally pay less attention to when there's less to pick from while at the same time making you appreciate the other ones that don't operate for the event. It sounds contradictory, but I feel the same way.

I felt that having fewer things to do made the day far more relaxing. We live about 3 hours from Six Flags, so even though we have a membership, we still only get up there a few times a year. Each time we go, then, we try to get on all our favourite rides. Having about half of them closed meant that we just kind of wandered the park and still got on everything we wanted. It was a much more relaxing pace and made for a really fun time.

Wow, sounds like New England is going all out on a night not even that cold. Are they piloting some ideas there for consideration in the rest of the chain? If it isn't a corporate pilot the other parks should probably take notes (with an effort like that Great America might even be able to open).

Pioneering new ideas, or perhaps they're doing what they're doing out of necessity. A quick search showed Agawam New England's average December temperatures to be 39high/22low, where as St. Louis is 43high/28low. SFNE is only slightly lower, but that probably makes a big difference when coasters run in the cold. Factor in that our last few winters have been extremely mild. So mild that I'm contemplating keeping the race car on summer tires vs. paying $200 this season to switch to winter tires and back to summers. (It also helps to have a take-home work car at the moment. $20/month in gas FTW!)

Saturday night was insanely busy. We pulled up at dusk and had to park in the very back and figured, uh oh. The waits were crazy, but it was a good time. I didn't get to sample the booze though as the lines were too long. Hopefully the park raked in the $$$.

I dug the improved decorations this year. The park has a really good thing going here. Hopefully it proves to be financially viable enough to open more rides up next year. Hey, I agree the small park feel is nice and all that, but I'd rather more rides be open than not! Especially given that the back hill stuff all offers the best views of the lights!

It was nuts to be in the park, in December, above 60 degrees!

Out of sheer curiosity, I have a question for those who want more rides. Given the choice, would you rather have more Holiday activities and lights with the extra staff and revenue or more rides open?

I really enjoy the lights, decorations and amenities, but the actual activities (the shows, carolers, etc) are what I don't really care about. I'd much rather have the back hill open versus that if I had to choose. I really don't even care about the Boss, just the hill with Eagle and all that would be awesome.

Again though, the event is great as is so if they decided they'd rather just keep packing the decorations into the smaller area, I get and understand that. I think there was a nice jump in quality from year 1 to 2 and it can only get better. For as much as six flags takes crap for various things, it's nice to see HITP is such a hit everywhere.

Also, just saw the photos that the Fling has been totally removed. Dang, that was quick! I'm surprised they didn't do any kind of announcement on that. I would expect our next main park attraction will be some kind of replacement for that.

I really enjoy the lights, decorations and amenities, but the actual activities (the shows, carolers, etc) are what I don't really care about.

Yeah, I'm right there with you on that. Aside from the occasional Animal show, we'll never be show people. As far at the carolers and other small attractions go, we don't necessarily pat attention to them, but I think it helps set the vibe. I think if the park could find a way to incorporate Screamin Eagle on its own, that would be a big hit. Especially with a few lights scattered throughout the trees with red and green spot lights on the main lift and drop. Scy Screamer would also be a plus with the view. Either way, I don't see it happening in the near future.

They could open the path that goes through the upper part of bugs bunny land thus opening up the rest of the kiddie rides, and also add Eagle to the HITP line up and just block off the part of the path that leads to Superman and Boomerang. It would only be about 5 more rides or so to staff, plus open up another food location, plus another game area. It would only take a little bit more to decorate. It would be a nice addition with little trouble.

EDIT: And the games wouldn't necessarily have to be open just because Eagle is.

They could open the path that goes through the upper part of bugs bunny land thus opening up the rest of the kiddie rides, and also add Eagle to the HITP line up and just block off the part of the path that leads to Superman and Boomerang. It would only be about 5 more rides or so to staff, plus open up another food location, plus another game area. It would only take a little bit more to decorate. It would be a nice addition with little trouble.

They didn't screw up Eagle's entrance just to run it without games open

They didn't screw up Eagle's entrance just to run it without games open

I STILL don't get why they put the entrance there when the exit leads to the games, anyways. That's always frustrated me...I miss that old entrance by the logo

I STILL don't get why they put the entrance there when the exit leads to the games, anyways. That's always frustrated me...I miss that old entrance by the logo

Remembering old discussions from this thread, I think it was because the old entrance wasn't ADA accessible and couldn't easily be made to be compliant.

Remembering old discussions from this thread, I think it was because the old entrance wasn't ADA accessible and couldn't easily be made to be compliant.

AH, yes...that makes sense. There are a couple of stairs by that "turnaround". Wish they could "ramp" that and make the entry to its original form. Was quaint...reminded me of the good ole days

I'm pretty sure the current entrance isn't ADA accessible either

Hi, my family and I are making a trip down to Six Flags St. Louis in late December and I was wondering if anyone could give any insight if they are running the coasters during such cold weather. I know that at my home park (SFGam) they were running them at freezing temperatures but they warmed up the track before but I was wondering if thats the same case with St. Louis. I know some coaster are just closed for HITP but I'm mostly asking for Mr. Freeze and American Thunder. Thanks!

Just wanted to comment on HitP. What a fun evening! My wife and I went on Sunday. Crowds were manageable, lines not insane, and there was a really fun atmosphere in the air. I think it was improved a lot from last year; we loved the lights and all the Christmas music in the lines and throughout the park - more noticeable this year, too.

ONLY complaint/ask - OPEN EAGLE!!!!!! Would provide some incredible night rides with views from the back of the park and how cool would it be to integrate a tunnel of Christmas lights midcourse.....or put some audio throughout the ride as you're riding through the woods - almost retheming it for a "sleigh ride" type attraction.

HitP was WAY better than any other time I've been; in my opinion. I don't know if the lights and dark masked some of the lack of theming a normal day or summer operations would show? But wow...fun evening. Can't wait to go back!

EDIT - Rode all coasters open for the event and it was around 45 or so degrees. I noticed Freeze was CRAWLING over that tophat after the launch. Everything else was great.

Hi, my family and I are making a trip down to Six Flags St. Louis in late December and I was wondering if anyone could give any insight if they are running the coasters during such cold weather. I know that at my home park (SFGam) they were running them at freezing temperatures but they warmed up the track before but I was wondering if thats the same case with St. Louis. I know some coaster are just closed for HITP but I'm mostly asking for Mr. Freeze and American Thunder. Thanks!

Yes. As long ad the coaster can actually make it around the circuit, they'll run it. Last time I was there American Thunder barely had enough to male it to the brakes, but it did make it, so they loaded it up and sent it again! Expect everything scheduled to be open to run.

Yes. As long ad the coaster can actually make it around the circuit, they'll run it. Last time I was there American Thunder barely had enough to male it to the brakes, but it did make it, so they loaded it up and sent it again! Expect everything scheduled to be open to run.

Just wanted to jump in and say that it might be best to ask the park about running rides in temperatures below freezing. While it depends on the coaster, some could start closing when it hits 32 or even earlier depending on different factors. Maybe try giving Guest Relations a call for some more information or coming to the park with the mindset that some rides could close. Either way, I'm sure you'll have a great time, but I still don't want you to be dissappointed.

...OPEN EAGLE!!!!!! Would provide some incredible night rides with views from the back of the park and how cool would it be to integrate a tunnel of Christmas lights midcourse.....or put some audio throughout the ride as you're riding through the woods - almost retheming it for a "sleigh ride" type attraction....

I never thought of that, but how cool would that be! The only issue I could see would be finding a way to ensure the structural integrity of the light tunnel, which would be on a structure that is designed to move/shake sometimes fairly violently. As long as it could be ensured no parts could fall onto the track or light strands could come partially detached, hanging down in front of the train, that's a winning idea.

I never thought of that, but how cool would that be! The only issue I could see would be finding a way to ensure the structural integrity of the light tunnel, which would be on a structure that is designed to move/shake sometimes fairly violently. As long as it could be ensured no parts could fall onto the track or light strands could come partially detached, hanging down in front of the train, that's a winning idea.

Simple, well okay maybe not 'simple', the solution is don't attach the canopy/tunnel to Eagle's structure - make it freestanding. Either build a custom structure or buy another one of those temporary shelters behind Tidal Wave. The shelter could have the benefit that you could use the new shelter for holiday event storage, then when you unpack for the events you can take the cover off and move to set the frame up over Eagle. Alternatively if a freestanding structure isn’t something the park is comfortable building or buying you could hang lights from wires strung between trees on either side of Eagle's layout.

Though this is all a bit elaborate for a ride they aren't even operating yet for the event - I'm still fine with the idea of swapping out the Fright Fest tombstones and spotlights for Christmas trees.

I'd really prefer decorations on Mine Train before I'd build a light tunnel for Eagle. Given the type of coaster it is and its audience it really feels like the ride should have something there and it just doesn't. It'd be easier to install as well I'd imagine.

PS: If you do go the Eagle freestanding 'tunnel' structure route there's always the possibility that instead of building a temporary structure you could make it permanent. You'd gain a head chopper element most of the year, a mounting surface for FF decorations AND a place to hang lights for HITP.

When is enough going to be enough? The event is perfectly fine as it is now. I'd rather the Eagle be running as well, but if you think about the layout, it's going to change the dynamics of the event. At this point, everything flows incredibly well and the event has been a big hit. Small incremental improvements are all this event needs to succeed. Let's just be thankful that we can enjoy even a limited selection of roller coasters in December.

Here's a good read:

https://www.amazon.com/If-You-Give-Mouse-Cookie/dp/B009THT1IM/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PVQGPC6QVTYDYWEM7E4Q