TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Thunder is really funny too when it's super cold. It runs fine til the end brake run but the little jaunt from there back to the station is literally the slowest crawl you've ever seen. Inchworms were passing us up.

Haha, yes this was the story last year when I rode it in the low 30's right before it closed one night. It took fooooorever. That coaster is fun during the cold though, I'm glad they let her run. I'm looking forward to taking a literal spin on Spinsanity in the cold this year. Hopefully the weather cooperates for much of HITP this year!

Thunder is really funny too when it's super cold. It runs fine til the end brake run but the little jaunt from there back to the station is literally the slowest crawl you've ever seen. Inchworms were passing us up.

Oh yeah, we had a ride like that this weekend, high of 46 and 38 degrees by 8pm closing time. They still ran it!

If you're going to go that far, why not ask for a T-Rex?

Really though, I think our park would be perfectly suited for a Raptor track. Although, in the last year I thought that about the S&S Free Spin... and RMC Boss before that...

Someday there will be a new coaster in our park. Until then, I'll enjoy my new found appreciation for Screamin Eagle.

Until then, I'll enjoy my new found appreciation for Screamin Eagle.

*Next year.

I'd ask how feasible a set of drive wheels is for Thunder but has the issue that prevents faster dispatches been fixed? Okay maybe I shouldn't post EVERY idea that pops in to my head.

I’m sure most people don’t know that SFSL was a sponsor of this year’s Ameren Thanksgiving Day Parade downtown. As such, the talented maintenance team helped the other departments involved to build a HIP float. Obviously this isn’t something usual for the park, but I think it turned out pretty great. It’s probably one of the most fun ways to advertise and increase awareness. Speaking of...don’t forget the Park is open again tomorrow and has more dates available than last year.

Sorry for the less-than-stellar picture quality, but here’s a pic of the float as seen on KMOV:

7F1FBF6C-626B-4283-8EDC-AAB674E8BF04.jpeg.4d93dc47f244e96154cf06f45346ea88.jpeg

Last Sunday we went to Six Flags for Holiday in the Park. We got there at opening and went straight to American Thunder for our first experience with Six Flags not giving a sh*t about temperatures. We walked on to the back row, and gloved hands up the whole way. As we hit the brakes, the train crawled back to the station. Couldn't have been more than 5mph. I wondered if we were going to have to evac, but nope. The ride op asked us if we wanted to go again, just find an empty row! Seriously awesome.

20171119_140015.thumb.jpg.9756d862989e78853b4b5c6d2a60247a.jpg

We're expecting treemendous rides om Batman today!

20171119_140035_001.thumb.jpg.2ae427b0ae5d98b54a351b4e8c55f0be.jpg

Helpful directions to the rebranded areas of the park.

20171119_142018.thumb.jpg.eb976bdb74c03b6fd2d7170e6c3f765a.jpg

First coaster of the day!

Next up was Mr. Freeze. The theming has been much improved since the last time I rode it. The outdoor air conditioning throughout the queue was awesome. I felt just like I was in a refrigerator! Great job for whoever thought this up!

20171119_142618.thumb.jpg.510ec19a4f0bca6d8422458d7074e54d.jpg

Mr. Freeze's theming is solid as ice today.

20171119_142711.thumb.jpg.ff554fa2780732af8a263442252d45d5.jpg

The chilling sound of my doom has never been so realistic.

20171119_143946.thumb.jpg.5badf8e770457e48256ee0957f16e8a0.jpg

It's so cute the League thinks it can bring Mr. Freeze to justICE.

Our streak of good luck couldn't continue forever though. As we went onto Justice League, my son got a bit overexcited and ran past the 3d glasses and grouper and onto one of the cars. As I went to retrieve him, the ride ops yelled at me that I can't board that car. Uh...not trying to. Trying to get my son who's sitting on top of the restraint in that car with no one else in it. You're welcome.

So we got back to the grouper, got our glasses, and this time boarded the car properly and had a good time.

We ran back to the car for lunch at this point. I don't mind buying theme park food if it's good, but Six Flags has $11 hot dogs, and really, I can pack better. We had nice healthy sandwiches, fruit, and granola bars, and it cost us about $10 total.

Upon going back into the park, I went to the re-entry line, where I was told that I had to go into the regular entrance line. I then showed the employee my hand stamp, and she apologized and let us in.

WTF, Six Flags? What is with this "shout company policy first, understand the situation later"? I was actually kind of pissed off at this point.

We headed over to the ice cream place to get our hot chocolate mug. Great deal, $9 for the mug and free refills all day the day of purchase. This really helped keep us warm, and I'm able to use it at work too.

The kids rode some things in Bugs Bunny for a while, which was renamed Super Happy Candy Cane Whatever for Christmassy reasons. I never really figured out what the rebranded areas were. We spent a lot of the rest of the day just walking around as the sun set and looking at all the lights.

20171119_155153.thumb.jpg.3f3ea5d86fd259e00b4fd9bb2542a552.jpg

On the way back to whatever the hell they're calling the Bugs Bunny area these days.

20171119_155204.thumb.jpg.a603a05aecf652d9733868f8b4208797.jpg

The decorations were great even during the day.

20171119_155341.thumb.jpg.64744816f5093aa8a0c73bb527f73404.jpg

20171119_155813.thumb.jpg.295b00383099e323783f7e37595e515f.jpg

Three coasters in one shot. None of them running.

20171119_164746.thumb.jpg.f9016d4e60ab721d9038154e3a80b966.jpg

Loved the lights all through these tunnels.

20171119_164914.thumb.jpg.6843a4452979e330a885d7f72df70089.jpg

Lights are starting to come on now.

20171119_170558.thumb.jpg.a83eec1444c44cbfd1cd96e328c276c2.jpg

The plaza area was fantastic.

20171119_170641.thumb.jpg.e8b0fc91a58b4dbf076ed0c3dcbe541e.jpg

20171119_172536.thumb.jpg.9caf7280c16cfe486067692b816891fc.jpg

20171119_174406.thumb.jpg.6bd39753d9a7e5a898a44f7b08470254.jpg

The show really came alive after dark.

20171119_174410.thumb.jpg.c0bd3fa7d5f384577106b23d461f9622.jpg

20171119_181205.thumb.jpg.663e240176c5c6c96d9eb82eb187b810.jpg

Fireball wasn't running, but it still provided some great Christmas atmosphere.

20171119_181623.thumb.jpg.f6bd3b18941953119069787ea5490e54.jpg

They call this one Big Green. It is big. And also green.

20171119_181714.thumb.jpg.c739f7be697c053accb907461ccc8797.jpg

Plenty of photo ops.

20171119_181754.thumb.jpg.03cfe1e903b28b15ebad52e76f5ac448.jpg

Lots or red, green, and gold mini trees throughout the park.

I had to have one last ride on Batman at night, and holy sh*t! This coaster is fast and intense normally, but at night, in the cold, it unleashes its pent up angst with all the fury a wealthy orphan can muster. Really, really great end to a Six Flags day.

20171119_185350.thumb.jpg.7931aca4e34bdd2c2b723b97965ab093.jpg

Thanks for a Six Flags day!

20171121_065437.thumb.jpg.244f598ec8d1f72380fbe829eacef38e.jpg

This was the most Six Flags thing of the whole day. Last year's cup with a sticker on it that said 2017.

Hey guys just a quick report from our trip to the park on Wednesday.

Arrived shortly after opening had to immediately leave and head to Wal-mart as our 15 year old didn't dress appropriately for the cold weather. Returned 45 minutes and the park was still empty. Greeted by Sylvester and Daffy in holiday attire. Wife and I headed to Johnny Rockets for lunch, worst meal ever at the park. Burger was awful.

Went to ride Justice league waited about 2 cars to get on. Win! Spent the next hour or so just wandering the park looking at decorations and enjoying the various smoking areas. We decided to see the Tinseltones show at the Empire theater at 5pm. This was one of the best shows I have seen at the park in a long, long time. Don't get me wrong it is a little campy and cheesy, but for what it is, it was awesome. Look forward to seeing it again.

As we exited the theater it was completely dark and all the lights could be seen. Just stood on the stairs of the theater for a few minutes taking it all in. Hard to believe less than a month ago FF was in full effect. Great job by maintenance and all who had a part in decorating. We did notice as walking by the amphitheater that on the stage there seemed to be shipping crates of unused decorations, not sure if they will continue to decorate or leave the park as is. Either way is great.

While in the theater we met up with our boys(15yo and 18yo) and decided to Justice league again as a family. Once again no wait at all. The 15 yo scored in the top 1% of all time #humblebrag. We then figured we'd get dinner. We really wanted to go to Mooseburger as they had advertised a turkey dinner with all the fixings for one meal plan meal. Figured it was worth the try, but when we arrived found it was closed due to the low attendance. Very disappointing but understandable. Finally decided to try Jb's and had pull pork Mac and Cheese and Buffalo Chicken mac and cheese. Neither were very impressive.

Still had time to kill while waiting on the 8pm showing of the Majesty of the Nativity? show. So we took the coldest train ride through the park ever. Kinda disappointed no extra decorations/lights along the tracks, hopefully that comes in future years. So one last smoke break and off to the Palace theater for the show. We had heard while leaving the other show this one was going to be complete with live animals and a camel. Yes a frickin CAMEL! That alone was going to be worth it for me. I was actually kinda worried how Six Flags would treat the religious/sacred nature of the nativity. Note;not really a religious person, but a corporate entity putting on a nativity show? Could be a trainwreck?

So on to the show, my boys grabbed us seats in the very front row. Show open with a narrator type gentlemen guessing near 50 taking the stage. His voice actions and dedication to his part were amazing! He just had us glued to our seats throughout the show. Then appears a young boy of about 9 or 10 and he did a solo song, wow! Finally we have Baby Jesus Born, wisemen showing up, sheep, and wait for it... the CAMEL!! This show almost brought me to tears and did bring my wife to tears it was so well done. Only disappointment, is it was so short. Only about 25 minutes. This show was so good, I was convinced a local church group must have put it on. There was no way Six Flags could have done this after the train wreck of LAFF earlier this season. As we exited I asked one of the actresses what church they were from and she assured me it was a Six Flags production.

Other random notes/observations: Walls at Screaming Eagle/Mine Train are very temporary only held in pace with sandbags, could easily be moved if park volume needed. All expected rides were operational, but I believe all coasters only had one train ops. The Christmas tree light show in front of the Palace not bad. Only real complaint were they had plenty of firepits, but most non-operational as they would have required an attendant, also the early closing of restaurants was kinda a peeve, but like I said understandable. Not one to gauge attendance but it it reached 1000-1500 through the day I would be surprised. Maybe four full rows of parking were used with no one in preferred.

Anyway really enjoyed our visit and may be going back tomorrow just to see the shows again as they were that good.

I think we might hit the park next Saturday. A few of our friends are interested in going, too.

I was a little confused about the season pass friend discount information and I accidentally deleted my emails. Did I read it right that I can bring my 2018 season pass and use it this year? Are there any bring a friend discounts on Saturdays from this? We have the gold passes, or whichever one comes with free parking. Will I be able to use my free parking, as well?

I think we might hit the park next Saturday. A few of our friends are interested in going, too.

I was a little confused about the season pass friend discount information and I accidentally deleted my emails. Did I read it right that I can bring my 2018 season pass and use it this year? Are there any bring a friend discounts on Saturdays from this? We have the gold passes, or whichever one comes with free parking. Will I be able to use my free parking, as well?

2018 gold passes have a one time use bring a friend free through Dec 31 AND a one time use bring a friend for half price through Jan 1

The pictures from Colossus are amazing! We were at the park also again tonight! Much larger crowd! Got to try the turkey dinner at Mooseburger, Amazing! Great smoked turkey, good dressing, okay instant mashed potatoes, stil not a fan of the mac and cheese, but well worth the use of the dining plan on this meal.

The park really is absolutely gorgeous for the event.

I know I said this last year, but one thing the holiday events do is make you wish the park would step up their lighting game for the regular season. Some other parks do midnight closes some summer weekends - better lighting would make that enjoyable for us.

Last years lights looked great. This years lights look better. Thanks for the pictures, which did a good job of capturing the overall vibe.

Not sure about the 2018 pass thing, since we have a membership so it's just ongoing. There is a bring a friend for half price through January 1, no blackout dates. If you download the Six Flags app, you can scan your season pass and it will list all the discounts.

Haha, thanks Andrew, but if you knew anything about my cheapo Amazon Fire Phone you would laugh at your comment about downloading the app. Amazon took one shot at making affordable 'smart' phones and threw in the towel. Despite really liking me phone, I'm lucky to have yelp, facebook, and text messaging... Most of the time it suits me just fine and I can't complain about $100/month for unlimited talk/text/data for straight talk, aka - discount mobile. #joetheplumber

Can anyone please direct me to where I get my 2018 season pass processed, or how I go about doing so? Last year we had the basic-bitch passes with no free parking, so the entrance plaza employees just scanned our printouts, gave us our passes, and scanned our fingerprints. (At least the passes weren't paper passes, because you know that would give me a reason to cry about it for days on end on the forums, right?) I seemed to remember the front entrance employees saying that we didn't need to get our passes processed, since they were of the poor-man variety, after spitting on us and telling us to get real jobs. (Half of this is true. You decide.)