TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Way more annoyed that they sent out the email indicating Eagle would be open and then it's not than I ever would have been if they had just said it was closed from the start. Bad info sucks! Now I'm sad, was excited about Eagle in the dark with perhaps a few Christmas trees where the lighted up tombstones were for FF.

Looks like those came from two different sources so we still giving out misinformation......geez. On the local news this morning they did a little blurb about HITP and said 22 rides would be open for whatever that's worth. Now last year they did originally have Skyscreamer closed but then opened it part way into HITP. I suspect some of that has to do with staffing.

Again...

According to the park, Superman and Screamin Eagle are closed for the season and will not open with HITP.

I know, I know. I'm just having a bit of a digital temper tantrum because the passholder email seemed to be an announcement that is was open and I got my hopes up

They do literally have walls up at the two railroad crossings at either end of the Illinois train station. Different than last years barriers I believe. I wish I'd taken a look at the back of them. If they're simply sandbagged down then they could always do what they did last year and open extra rides on an as needed basis.

I'm with ya man. I really wanted Eagle rides, and it never really seemed to ever go down on cold Fright Fest nights so I'm really just wondering why. They've taken three kiddie rides off the table with the current barriers too.

Again...

According to the park, Superman and Screamin Eagle are closed for the season and will not open with HITP.

I know, I know. I'm just having a bit of a digital temper tantrum because the passholder email seemed to be an announcement that is was open and I got my hopes up

Yeah, the passholder email totally made it sound like it was definitely going to be operating. Very disappointing.

Only a limited amount of rides open so that maintenance can start the overhauls on the rides as they do every year. SFSTL maintenance dept isnt as big as other parks maintenance depts, so they need as much time as possible to start these overhauls. Another reason is staffing.

Staffing and locations are the obvious culprits here. If they opened Eagle they would have to pay to staff and decorate basically the entire park.

I guess you are probably right. And it is only their second year doing it, hopefully it will continue to grow and at some point in the future they will be able to expand rides and decorations.

I'm not sure I buy 48 for Thunder operating temp that someone else stated as I am pretty certain we have been on it when it was much colder, but I can't swear to that.

With the exception of Boss in St. Louis, Goliath in New England and maybe one or two others here and there, Six Flags doesn't care about operating temperatures. By all accounts there were plenty of days last year where temperatures never got out of the 30's when American Thunder was open. Anyone who uses the terms "operating temperatures" and "Six Flags" in the same sentence deserves to be laughed at.

Unless they're dealing with a ride where a valley is almost a 100% guarantee in certain conditions, they'll ignore those figures entirely and try to start the rides. I applaud them for that. When it comes to running coasters in the cold, Six Flags is the best in the business.

In all seriousness I'm sure there's a temperature limit somewhere, but it's hilariously low compared to every other chain and it seems like it's so low that it's generally only met on a day where nobody would have showed up anyway so they just end up closing the entire park (which they did last year both in St. Louis and in New Jersey). Late openings absolutely happen but it seems like the chain as a whole is getting better at finding ways to get their rides open in the cold, whether it's using different road wheels, front loading trains, running a kiddy coaster up and down a tire driven lift hill over and over again to warm it up (they legitimately do this with Harley Quinn at Great Adventure and it's really funny to watch).

I have no doubt that they delayed American Thunder's opening during Fright Fest a few years ago, but last year they had it running on days when it never got out of the mid 30's. They're clearly finding new ways to get these things running in the cold as time goes on and at this point the chain as a whole seems to have gotten incredibly good at this through trial and error. The conditions in which they're willing to run some of their rides has clearly changed even in the last few years.