TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I've got a question. My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last week. We are planning on going to the park this weekend but I'm running into a few issues. There are no nutrition facts anywhere on the website to calculate his carbs. Any idea on how to figure that out? Secondly this one is more for the summer, but when we bring his insulin with us when it's hot out, how do we keep it a little colder that the outside temperature? It doesn't have to be cold just at a room temperature.

I've got a question. My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last week. We are planning on going to the park this weekend but I'm running into a few issues. There are no nutrition facts anywhere on the website to calculate his carbs. Any idea on how to figure that out? Secondly this one is more for the summer, but when we bring his insulin with us when it's hot out, how do we keep it a little colder that the outside temperature? It doesn't have to be cold just at a room temperature.

Call the park ahead of time and ask to speak with the First Aid department. They might be able to help with the medication. And Also the Culinary Services department should have all nutritional facts in their office so just ask to speak with someone about that. Calling GR tomorrow morning would probably be your best bet and they can direct you to the proper people.

When going through metal detection inform them that you have insulin with you. Bring it in a small lunch cooler/ container with an ice pack or collie in it. Then, go to First Aid where you can keep it there and go back if and when you need it throughout the day.

Sounds like the safe bet would be to bring your own food. Keep it in a cooler in the car, along with the insulin.

To answer the diabetic questions:

I'm a 24 year, Type 1 diabetic. I'm now 31. I've been doing amusement parks since I was a little kid; especially SFSTL. You'll want to take your insulin to First Aid, along with your meter (meters can overheat and not get a good blood sugar reading). They're SUPER nice and very helpful. If they're anything like usual, the diabetic and their guests with them are treated great in the back of First Aid. They have gatorade and cold water. It's ACd and they can keep good care of your stuff filling out a simple form upon arriving. It's a nice break in the heat of summer to go into their area as it's always cool and a nice break. In regards to food, it's definitely tough to eat at a park. I suggest a cooler of controlled food or a lunchbox - they'll keep that in there, too. I would avoid storing the insulin/meter in the car in the case that the ice melts/water gets into the vials of insulin and can ruin them.

Sorry for the long post - I am happy to see people going out of their way to keep their blood sugar regulated. Best of luck!

Hello all,

I'll be at the park Saturday and Sunday, August 5th and 6th. I'm curious as to what to expect crowd wise, especially on Sunday. The park is only open till 7, so I'm a little nervous that it may be minimalistic operations with one train ops, closed food stands, etc.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

They should be in full season mode until the week of August 14th, that's when school starts back up for almost everyone. They often have an earlier closing on Sundays.
As far as I know in August everything is still in "busy season mode" and running at standard capacity.

OK good to know. Any idea on waits for the coasters?

Another tip for the diabetes question: If necessary, you can bring some snacks with you into the park if it makes you feel more comfortable. Just let know the kind folks down at metal detection that it's for a medical issue (oh, and it'd be best not to use a hard plastic cooler for insulin or anything). Finally, I want to mention that First Aid is located by the exit of the log flume...

...speaking of the Log Flume, nobody has mentioned it's great new paint job. It's been a decade since it has received a complete top-to-bottom repaint. Every time I go down into the park, it still amazes me how fantastic the flukes look weaving through the trees as seen from the employee entrance walkway. It's very bright and was a great investment in my opinion. #ThanksPete

^Unfortunately I haven't been able to spend much time in the park. Basically going from Shazam to the Flash Pass office area and back. I know that there are plenty of renovations and updates (many of which are still ongoing). It'll be interesting to ride the train this year with a lot of trees being taken out between the Batman overpass and Spinsanity. It's crazy how much more open it feels.

^ That's a really cool event. Have fun! I did it a couple of years ago, and they didn't have the 10k that year. Looking at the website, it appears the 10k will be 2 laps of the 5k circuit.

How cool--they have a picture of me on American Thunder (I'm in the bench by myself, 4th from the back):

IMG_8989

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

I was at the park on Sunday. Great day to be there! Crowds were very light due to Blues game and Cardinals Home Opener. The Log Flume looks freaking amazing. New fresh paint on the entire ride. I've never seen it this nice. Also the new Spinsanity looks really good next to Tsunami Soaker.

IMG_6941.thumb.JPG.5bb3462c40a9b3767640f9f3b54c456b.JPG

IMG_6925.thumb.JPG.e02d7306ab33df4179c1454756d7174c.JPG

IMG_6942.thumb.JPG.b19214838469beef2583f7dea7feea94.JPG

IMG_6944.thumb.JPG.bc56da1bf0c1e5ae0d89f215b0ca7617.JPG

^^Yeah, they really do look great from those pictures.

^ That's a really cool event. Have fun! I

We haven't yet decided if we're going to do this or head to SFGam for the weekend. Possibly even King's Island. Decisions decisions.

Edited by prozach626

This is the best SFSTL opening weekend video I've seen yet! There's a good bit of Spinsanity footage, as well as the newly painted Log Flume!

Can't say I appreciate the video one bit considering how many times he had his camera out on the ride....

This is the best SFSTL opening weekend video I've seen yet! There's a good bit of Spinsanity footage, as well as the newly painted Log Flume!

Can't say I appreciate the video one bit considering how many times he had his camera out on the ride....

Judging by the video, I would venture to guess he's using a Go Pro. I don't see how else he could record in done of these rides unless it's a head mounted camera. Just my guess.