SLC'S?

Are they really?...
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!

Are they really that bad?

Total votes : 0

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Re: SLC'S?

Postby Trackmaster » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:16 am

They're just a waste of space. You ride one, you ride them all. Why am I going to get excited about riding a coaster that's at 40 other parks other than to pad the count? Its basically like riding a scrambler or a swinging ship.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby hoppedup » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:20 am

I will have the opportunity to ride three Mind Erasers this summer. It is encouraging that the one at SFNE sounds like it is actually good enough for re-rides. I'm sure I will ride at least one other one for comparison. Probably the last ride of the day, just in case.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby LeoBruz199 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:47 am

Trackmaster wrote:They're just a waste of space. You ride one, you ride them all. Why am I going to get excited about riding a coaster that's at 40 other parks other than to pad the count? Its basically like riding a scrambler or a swinging ship.

To enthusiasts, maybe. For parks, they're a bargain. Cloning a ride is cheaper and faster, also the GP will most likely adore it, and won't even be aware of the clones. And those who do find out about said clones, mainly through YouTube videos ( ;) ), will then proceed to spam comments like "dIs RiDe Is A cOpY oF *insert SLC here* aT *insert park here* *insert a trillion emojis here*".
Oh well, I guess I won't be riding any coasters any time soon... Within the next 10 minutes anyways. :airtime: :airtimer:

Best: Katun & iSpeed - Mirabilandia, Formula Rossa - Ferrari World, Oblivion - The Black Hole - Gardaland, Stealth - Thorpe Park

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Trackmaster » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:41 am

LeoBruz199 wrote:
Trackmaster wrote:They're just a waste of space. You ride one, you ride them all. Why am I going to get excited about riding a coaster that's at 40 other parks other than to pad the count? Its basically like riding a scrambler or a swinging ship.

To enthusiasts, maybe. For parks, they're a bargain. Cloning a ride is cheaper and faster, also the GP will most likely adore it, and won't even be aware of the clones. And those who do find out about said clones, mainly through YouTube videos ( ;) ), will then proceed to spam comments like "dIs RiDe Is A cOpY oF *insert SLC here* aT *insert park here* *insert a trillion emojis here*".

But the idea is that if we're going to take the time to talk on a message board about coasters, than you're probably an enthusiast. So why should anybody on here be supportive of traveling halfway across the country to ride some basic ride that they could probably ride at their home park? I reserve the right to judge people whose patronization habits have a negative affect on myself and other enthusiasts.

And, I'm skeptical that cloning is a great idea for the bottom line. Over time, the industry should progress, technology should get better, designs should get better, etc. If you're paying full freight for a coaster that is basically a mid-90's style and quality design, you've overpaid for a mediocre coaster that isn't going to help deliver a great experience to guests. And, give the GP some credit. They go to parks when they travel sometimes. If they go to a park that has the same coaster that they can ride back home, it rubs off very poorly on the park, and may sour them on the entire industry. It makes going to amusement parks seem cheap and tawdry. So really, it has a regressive effect across the entire industry.

And also think about terrain matters. Who are you going to use a cookie cutter design, when you should be making elaborate and specific use of the terrain of the park, forestry, and natural features of the park? These are all questions that contradict that existence of clones if you ask me.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:18 am

Trackmaster wrote: I reserve the right to judge people whose patronization habits have a negative affect on myself and other enthusiasts.

what.gif

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Samuel » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:13 am

Trackmaster wrote:And, I'm skeptical that cloning is a great idea for the bottom line. Over time, the industry should progress, technology should get better, designs should get better, etc. If you're paying full freight for a coaster that is basically a mid-90's style and quality design, you've overpaid for a mediocre coaster that isn't going to help deliver a great experience to guests.

In terms of SLCs, most were built years ago...and there have been improvements to the occasional newer ones, never mind those Chinese knockoffs. Some of the old SLCs have been relocated with mixed results, but no park is out there overpaying to build the original, first-gen Condor again.

Trackmaster wrote:And, give the GP some credit...If they go to a park that has the same coaster that they can ride back home, it rubs off very poorly on the park, and may sour them on the entire industry...So really, it has a regressive effect across the entire industry.

If some guy sours on a whole industry of fun because he found the same ride in two parks, he'd have to be the world's pettiest person.

"Whoa, whoa...Batman: The Ride is here, too?! THAT'S IT! THAT'S IT! KIDS, WE'RE GOING! NOW! IN THE CAR!"

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby JG-77 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:50 am

Samuel wrote:"Whoa, whoa...Batman: The Ride is here, too?! THAT'S IT! THAT'S IT! KIDS, WE'RE GOING! NOW! IN THE CAR!"

:nina:

I personally have never been too bothered by clones. My home park is SFA, which is made up almost entirely of clones and relocations (actually, if you count the fact that Roar at SFDK was a modified clone of SFA's roar, then our entire collection of coasters are clones and relocations), but that doesn't bother me too much. A good coaster is a good coaster, and I'd rather have a clone of a good coaster in my park then a bad original coaster. I don't think I've ever heard any GP complain about SFA being made of clones and relocations, probably because none of them know or care. The GP goes to amusement parks for a day of fun and rides, why would they give a sh*t if a coaster they probably don't even remember the name of is a clone?
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby Dombot » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:28 pm

Samuel wrote:If some guy sours on a whole industry of fun because he found the same ride in two parks, he'd have to be the world's pettiest person.

"Whoa, whoa...Batman: The Ride is here, too?! THAT'S IT! THAT'S IT! KIDS, WE'RE GOING! NOW! IN THE CAR!"

:nina: :nina: :nina:

This is the worst kind of enthusiast, and sadly one of the most common. I once saw a guy on a different forum who naysayed every park that had a Wild Mouse.

Yeah.

I couldn't make this up if I tried.
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Mako 5. Alpengeist

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Norwegian coasterfan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:35 pm

^Well I guess I can’t go to Europa park anymore then :lmao:

Now SLC’s, I have only ridden one and that is Limit at Heide Park, definately one of the worst coasters I have been on. The layout is great though, but it ran terrible :|

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby JJLehto » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:32 pm

Only did one ever, Mind Eraser at Darien Lake. Was absolutely awful. No doubt one of the worst experiences ever.
Made me avoid them whenever I saw em, (given they all are exactly the same and I knew Vekoma was usually pretty rough) then people kept confirming they suck. So guess I cant really judge, but I also dont want to. I will gladly take the word of the (vast) majority that they all are pretty bad.

Esp when ya get into "how to ride" and "keys" to making it not so bad....stuff like that in itself is a bad sign!
Shame, people are right the layout is pretty awesome. Same layout but a B&M? Would be sick
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, I305, Maverick, Lightning Run, Superman (SFNE), Kumba
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast
2018 Parks: (new) Busch Gardens Tampa, Kings Island, Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World, Cedar Point, Kennywood

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!