TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I went Fri 28th and there was a decent crowd, but not too bad. The scare zones were seriously lacking, imo. I was told a lot of decorations/fog machines were damaged in the flood.

I've always skipped the houses because I've been told they're not very good. I upgraded to Diamond this year and asked guest services how much an all season haunted house wrist band would cost. Turns out the same as everyone else 34.99. Lame you don't get any discount with memberships. And no, I'm not gonna uograde to elite and pay an extra 10 a month for the next 12 months for a wristband.

I'll give them another try in a few weeks and see if they've upped their game by then. Wasn't impressed at all by my visit.

They have cut back on the scare zones and ramped up the haunted houses this year. The areas in Texas and Mexico have the props used for the scare zones in prior years, but no scare actors, so there are just, like, random doors and whatnot. It makes sense from a money standpoint...why give away the spooky for free when you can make people pay for the haunted houses? But it does make the park feel anemic compared to years past for those of us who are perfectly fine with the level of scares the scare zones provide, ha. Only scare zones we encountered were the sideshow folks near Looney Tunes land, the swamp folks near Superman, and some pig hybrid folks near Yosemite Sam. Might be one in the Gotham area? We haven't made it over there.

Friday still remains the best for enjoying the after dark offerings, imo. We went both last night and last Sunday, and The Awakening was as packed as a set at Coachella 20 minutes prior to the start for both. On Friday, my son and I walked right up to the front of the roped off area 5 minutes before showtime. Yesterday was crazy crowded in general. Even the train reached capacity and left folks on the platform. Thank God my 4 year old's favorite coaster is the Shock Wave...never had a line yesterday. And the single rider lines for La Vibora and Pandemonium are the best. My kid gets to ride over and over, and I can wait for him at the exit with my guts and limbs intact. (5 times in a row on the Shock Wave made my stomach hit Maximum Fun early in the day.)

Gotham has the zombies that run and come sliding on their knees at you, same as last year.

Those were the same scare zones I encountered when I went. Last year they had the swamp people scare zone fogged out which made it so much better. So when I asked what was going on with no fog, that's when I was told some things were damaged in the flood.

^^ There is, in fact, a scare zone in the Gotham area. It's populated by "Escapees" from "Hell Block 6".

Are those the ones that slide at you on their knees as you walk into Gotham? Or is it the new one by HQ? I didn't walk over by HQ or Joker so I missed seeing that new haunt and area.

Since you get a wristband to all the haunts, which one do you think is the best?

^^ There is, in fact, a scare zone in the Gotham area. It's populated by "Escapees" from "Hell Block 6".

Are those the ones that slide at you on their knees as you walk into Gotham? Or is it the new one by HQ? I didn't walk over by HQ or Joker so I missed seeing that new haunt and area.

Since you get a wristband to all the haunts, which one do you think is the best?

Hell Block 6 is easily the best haunted attraction the park has ever had. Just don't bend over to pick up the soap in the shower stall. The scare zone is supposed to be near Harley, but the sliders may be part of it.

I was at the park yesterday - Friday, and today. This evening the park was slammed. You couldn't even walk around, it was so packed. Even the line for Judge Roy Scream was long.

I was there till close on saturday, crowds were insane. It only let up at 11pm. I thought I was slick using the single rider line at joker seeing that the main queue was almost full, till i got all the way down just to see 25 people in the single rider line, noped back out real quick. It was impossible to get anywhere, people were blocking every walkway going every which direction with no rhyme or reason.

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't find a topic on the park (lots of trip reports where people tacked it on to an SFOT visit), but Sandy Lake Amusement Park north of Dallas announced on Facebook yesterday that they are closing down and the property has been sold. Sandy Lake was a quaint, family-owned picnic park with a couple of kiddie coasters, some pretty cool nostalgic flat rides and kiddie rides, a dark ride, and a swimming pool. The park was noteworthy around here because anyone that was in a school band or choir in this area in junior high likely visited for their annual competition festival.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/business/2018/10/18/after-48-years-entertaining-families-carrolltons-sandy-lake-closes-gates

Got an official answer on a question I asked a while back, since my son and I made an unplanned trip to the park today. (When in doubt, go to Six Flags, ha.) If you have a Diamond Elite membership and do not make a parking reservation, you can park in the regular preferred lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to this park for the first time yesterday. I was playing hooky from a conference and so I only had a few hours in the park in the morning /afternoon. A couple of observations:

* I was pleasantly surprised how relatively lush / full of trees it seemed

* It "felt" like an older, quainter park in some respects. For example, the walkaways seemed narrower, and the park was a navigational nightmare, with bizarre dead-ends and cross-overs everywhere, but I (somewhat) enjoyed being utterly lost at certain points without a map. Would have been more fun if the park wasn't pretty jammed pack.

* The Reverse Mr. Freeze blast was the surprise hit of the trip. Mother-of-god: that thing was a whole lot more powerful and wild than I was expecting. A sat in the last (which was really the first) car, and it was spectacular fun (maybe just a tad rough, but I loved it). I can't remember being as startled and surprised with a ride in long time.

*. The New Texas Giant grew on me as both it (and I) warmed up in the day. I thought the back seat ride was a bit better in terms of air, and I appreciated that the ride ops did not staple me as compared to Steel Vengeance. Lots of fun. But, in truth, Steel Vengeance has somewhat spoiled me as my first RMC.

* I loved the nostalgia of the Shockwave and had my first grey-out experience ever on the loops (which is weird because the G's didn't seem that extreme?). Maybe I am getting old? Surprising airpops in the back, but some of the transitions were a bit roughish. Loved all the swaying track / supports.

* I was also pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Titan (despite the ridiculously intense mid course full stop). I thought the first helix was surprisingly intense. I sure wish I could have experienced the second helix without such a strong midcourse - how much lighter was the midcourse in its initial season?

Overall, lots of fun and pretty good operations too.

Yep me and my first wife both blacked out on Titan its first year, IT WAS AWESOME !!!

Nick absolutely refused to ride it when we were there recently, because YEARS (many) ago, he greyed out on that Helix.

• 2 weeks later...

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Yosemite Sam's Gold River Adventure dark ride may be closed for good! The website http://www.overtexasthrills.com is reporting that the park's classic dark ride suffered extensive damage in the recent floods. So much so that it may never open again. Reports of extensive damage to both animatronics and set pieces caused when flood waters raised the boats off their flume. The boats then floated into the ride's various set pieces and animatronic figures causing wide spread damage which may be irreparable.

http://www.overtexasthrills.com/park-updates/six-flags-over-texas-general-park-update-november-7-2018?fbclid=IwAR2BCVjlUDDzozN1Jdavj0HhkXpciE_DTfL9WniktggLmdH4DWF6MlfMrx0

p493.thumb.png.7bb8298b2301f6c77ab8b25a05482180.png

I hope that isn't true, but I think we all knew it was a matter of time regardless. It's such a unique, fun ride that tons of people of all ages still enjoyed and had fond memories of. Being inside and climate controlled was also a good thing.

I don't understand why there isn't a push for more family friendly dark rides without making it overly complex with guns/3d screens/etc. A few animatronics and some nice sets and you have a fun adventure.

Something is not right here. This attraction is nowhere near a flood zone. Somebody overfill it ???? Just seems kind of strange that in 50+ years this building and trough has never had this happen. IMHO this had not been a great for for SFOT. Uncompleted construction. Numerous ride closures. I have seen the Park dirtier than I have ever seen it this past year. The food stand crews have had 2 speeds this year- slow and stop. Maybe I have been unlucky. It just seems like it has been a rough year.