TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Anyone planning to be at the park this weekend?

Nope. But we will be there next month!! Can't wait to get some New Texas Giant in my life!! I'm also interested to see what my partner thinks of Joker... I was NOT a big fan of the one at Great Adventure... But hoping that I'll grow to like the ride. It seems like it could be fun.. But it was just so damn uncomfortable...

I'm thinking about going out for awhile on Sunday afternoon. This run of really crappy weather looks like it will end on Saturday.

I've heard that the old Harley Quinn themed troika is being replaced with a food stand selling chicken tenders or some other variety of fried chicken. The arcade across from Mine Train was torn down and is being replaced with a sports bar similar to the one in the Mexico section.

I am! I'm planing on being there on Saturday, and then driving down to San Antonio Saturday night, and doing Fiesta Texas on Sunday.

This week is my first trip to Texas ever, which is crazy. My home park is SFoG, so I'm interested in seeing how these are different and same.

I'm traveling alone, so I would love to meet some TPR folks!

Side-note... I got in to Arlington on Monday afternoon. I'm an Atlantan, and I'm noticing your weather is as schizophrenic as ours is! Ha! I mean, yikes, for real!

According to www.screamscape.com, Boomtown Arcade was torn down.I hear we will have another sportsbar similar to the one in Mexico. Also no more Cold Stone Creamery by Superman Tower Of Power, it will be called Texas Tacos.Also new is Coaster Candy where you can get taffy, rock candy,lollipops, candy bars,gummies, bulk assortments and much more! Also new is Self-Order Kiosks at restaruants. Oh excuse me, not Texas Tacos but Cheesesteak and Tots will be next to Superman.Also, Gotham Chicken Location.Hurricane Harbor's Strutter Express! Where you can order chicken wings and tenders and Buffalo ranch chicken sandwhiches.(not on Screamscape but on another site) My guess is Strutter Express will replace The Pizza Place. So let's put a smile on that face!- The Joker

Wanted to go Saturday but gonna be raining so guess I'll go Sunday. Not sure if I'll have someone with me or not.

According to http://www.screamscape.com, Boomtown Arcade was torn down.I hear we will have another sportsbar similar to the one in Mexico. Also no more Cold Stone Creamery by Superman Tower Of Power, it will be called Texas Tacos.Also new is Coaster Candy where you can get taffy, rock candy,lollipops, candy bars,gummies, bulk assortments and much more! Also new is Self-Order Kiosks at restaruants. Oh excuse me, not Texas Tacos but Cheesesteak and Tots will be next to Superman.Also, Gotham Chicken Location.Hurricane Harbor's Strutter Express! Where you can order chicken wings and tenders and Buffalo ranch chicken sandwhiches.(not on Screamscape but on another site) My guess is Strutter Express will replace The Pizza Place. So let's put a smile on that face!- The Joker

Ok so I'm vegetarian, don't hate me. I've emailed them a few times about getting a veggie patty in the burger place and they made it sound like it's a great idea. Do they do that to everyone that emails suggestions? Lol

Obviously not getting my veggie patty this year.

Wanted to go Saturday but gonna be raining so guess I'll go Sunday. Not sure if I'll have someone with me or not.

According to http://www.screamscape.com, Boomtown Arcade was torn down.I hear we will have another sportsbar similar to the one in Mexico. Also no more Cold Stone Creamery by Superman Tower Of Power, it will be called Texas Tacos.Also new is Coaster Candy where you can get taffy, rock candy,lollipops, candy bars,gummies, bulk assortments and much more! Also new is Self-Order Kiosks at restaruants. Oh excuse me, not Texas Tacos but Cheesesteak and Tots will be next to Superman.Also, Gotham Chicken Location.Hurricane Harbor's Strutter Express! Where you can order chicken wings and tenders and Buffalo ranch chicken sandwhiches.(not on Screamscape but on another site) My guess is Strutter Express will replace The Pizza Place. So let's put a smile on that face!- The Joker

Ok so I'm vegetarian, don't hate me. I've emailed them a few times about getting a veggie patty in the burger place and they made it sound like it's a great idea. Do they do that to everyone that emails suggestions? Lol

yeah, the best you are gonna get is a "salad" as a Vegetarian option.

that said, I do have a Vegetarian friend who goes to SFoG quite a bit, and what she does is pack a frozen veg pattie with her (I think she's partial to Morningstar farms), and when they go to eat, she just asks the restaurant to heat it up on the grill for her.

now, not sure if this only works for her (she's one of those girls who with a smile usually gets what she wants ).. but worth a shot? It's been a while since I asked her, but I *think* she told me she had asked guest services if it was OK the 1st time she did it, and they said it was fine. . .but yeah, maybe a suggestion that would help?

That's one thing that really surprised me about SFOT — that there was really nothing at all that vegetarians could eat. Granted, theme park food isn't exactly known for its nutritious value or healthy options, but this is probably the only park I've visited where I struggled to find anything.

https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/arlington-tx

more options:

www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/texas/arlington/

a little further away:

www.spiraldiner.com

(I've been to the Dallas location, it was excellent.)

That's one thing that really surprised me about SFOT — that there was really nothing at all that vegetarians could eat. Granted, theme park food isn't exactly known for its nutritious value or healthy options, but this is probably the only park I've visited where I struggled to find anything.

Yea I usually eat at Casa de la Banderas. You can get the salad which is pretty big. The nachos are good and you can sub black beans for the meat. Other than that it's just French fries or the big pretzel but I skip the crappy cheese sauce. It's terrible.

Guess I can keep suggesting a veggie patty and see what happens.

Pretty bummed. Only here today.

“The trench is full of water. They’re workin on it.” Lady at the Titan entrance.

Titan is down. Not sure they’d be motivated to open it this late in the day.

More detailed report from a native SFoG guy coming later today.

Pretty bummed. Only here today.

“The trench is full of water. They’re workin on it.” Lady at the Titan entrance.

Titan is down. Not sure they’d be motivated to open it this late in the day.

More detailed report from a native SFoG guy coming later today.

I'm going out tomorrow. Did you see what the new Harley Q ride progress looks like?

I'm going out tomorrow. Did you see what the new Harley Q ride progress looks like?

Mud and parts wrapped up on the ground... :-/

Homepark is SFoG; this is my first trip to SFoT.

I’ve always known that, on paper, it is a great park with a lot of different ride types and experiences, but it’s always nice to actually experience it. What a great assortment of rides! I had a great day. Below is not everything I rode, but just a few noteworthy ones. Example: I skipped Batman.

Starting with front gate crews... security and admissions were incredible. So nice and welcoming... definitely ready for opening day. (I cannot say that for any crews at SFFT for today, particularly maintenance. It’s like opening weekend sneaked up on em.) SFoT was ready.

Mr. Freeze was the surprise winner of the trip for me. I mean, wow. Rode this multiple times, including after sunset. LOVE that thing!!

New Texas Giant was exactly what I expected. Solid ride. No crazy review here, other than I loved it. Surprised that anything else wowed me more, cuz this was great.

I did have the thought that the last half-lap or NTG made me glad our new RMC’d Cyclone does NOT have a full third lap. I’d rather our Twisted Cyclone end with a punch than “eh” at the end. No hate on NTG... TONS of great moments. Night ride on that was great, too.

Joker is my first S&S 4D Freespin. Totally nuts!! I laughed, even howled the whole time. First time being genuinely concerned, even scared, on a ride in a long time. Ha!! Now that I’ve ridden one, I’d be totally fine with getting one of these at SFoG.(I was not originally a fan of that rumor before we found out about Twisted Cyclone. I was wrong; it’d be great.)

I’ll tell ya, JL:BFM is better than ours. I hate admitting that, cuz I love ours.

Judge Roy Scream was a delight. I love that classic experience, and it seemed really well maintained and tight. Reminded me a lot of CP’s Blue Streak.

Shockwave is GREAT!! I knew it would be, since we have it’s “triple-looping” cousin, Mind Bender. (Loose definition of the “dive-loop” as a “loop,” but they can call it whatever they want cuz it’s FORCEful!! xD. No but really, Shockwave’s special-ness is two loops in a row. Love that.

La Vibora was wild! Never been on one of those before. Couple of rough, painful bumps, but some fresh butt-padding (on the ride-car OR ME, ha!) would’ve taken care of that. Loved that non-programmed experience.

Texas Skyscreamer get UP there, and FAST! Kinda chilly up there, ha!

Runaway Mountain... am I weird for loving this ride?! I feel like I’m probably in the minority here, but it’s really fun! Totally different than the rest of the stuff there. I love the unique experience. The visible disco ball made me LOL, I will say. Haha!!

Yosemite Sam’s Gold River Adventure was cool to see. Couple of clever little things in there.

—-

Love the park!

I’ll tell ya, though... it has the WEIRDEST layout of any Park I’ve been to, I think. I’d hate to be a kid lost in there, cuz I’m a grown-up who got lost looking at a map a couple times. Haha! (I don’t feel stupid, maybe I am. *shrug*)

—-

Questions for the SFoT people.

1. What is UP with the “no single riders on the back row” rule?!? I’ve been a coaster and ride nut for a while, and have never heard of that before.

2. What’s goin on at Oil Derrick? Just painting? Saw some white paint at the base...? It is lookin kinda rough, like a Walking dead situation, or like SFoG’s Scorcher. Yikes! Show em some love, SF!!

1. What is UP with the “no single riders on the back row” rule?!? I’ve been a coaster and ride nut for a while, and have never heard of that before.

It actually started around the time of the Texas Giant incident. As far as I was aware they only did it on Titan and Texas Giant. (Is it now on all rides?) Mainly from what I heard it is so there is a witness if something were to happen. What annoys me is that they don't have it posted so basically anyone like you who doesn't know gets on and sits down, locks the bar, and then they tell you. (Since they usually start at the front of the train.) When I went last Fall like I usually do I completely forgot about it on Titan and they shifted the whole car around. lol

Ooohhh, ok gotcha.

I can’t say “all,” but it was definitely more than those two you mentioned. Even Yosemite... one that was interesting to me was the Mr Freeze front row didn’t correspond. Ha!

Makes sense that it is a part of set of demands for insurance/law purposes.

Yeah, they definitely had to re-arrange a whole car’s worth of people when I un-knowingly locked in the back row by myself. Poor people were as confused as I was. :-/

I sorta see why now. Wonder how long they’ll feel the need to do that.

Was it a light crowd yesterday because of the rain?

Did you get to ride Riddler's Revenge? That's one of my faves.

I wasn't aware of the single rider rule myself, but I've always been with someone. Good to know if I ever pop in by myself, and I always sit in the back.

As far as the oil Derrick I don't even know if it's even been open in a while. It's always closed when I go. I'm about to head out there, I'll check out the paint situation you're talking about.

I'm glad you got to enjoy the park!

Opening day is usually pretty slow and I'm sure the cool, rainy start to the day slowed it down even more. The rain also moved out earlier in the day than expected. My daughter woke up with a fever, so we didn't make it out there today. I'm sure it was busier with the great weather.

The Oil Derrick is getting painted. I've heard that this is the first time it's been painted in more than 25 years.

Got there today around 6pm. Was a wait for most major rides. Did get to ride Tx Giant twice on back for some reason it was dead. Couldn't get a pic of Harley Q it was walled off. Not sure what was up with oil Derrick but snapped a pic and the way they had it gated made Shockwave look closed so no line there.

20180225_184050.thumb.jpg.0334e688b0d66f45082edecd74ab4bdd.jpg

I went Saturday at 11:00 ish. It was raining hard until I parked. It stopped raining and I went though the front gate at warp speed. There was not many in the Park. I walked through 3 sections and saw no Guests. I walk from the parking lot - through the front gate and around the perimeter twice and back to my car- almost 3 miles of entertaining terrain and people watching. The Park looks good. I saw new wood railings, and some construction as previously mentioned. The new construction is not far along and will not be open for awhile. The Host and Hostess Teams were nice. Lots of smiles. I did stop and eat. The Food Service crews were courteous but still in training. I expected that. Otherwise a nice afternoon. Most rides opened within 15 minutes of the end of Phase 1. It would have been a great day to ride. Things are looking up for this Park.

I was at SFOG in October. Their JL:BFM was awesome. More scenes than ours and a better queue. I am surprised that someone liked ours better. You never know.

Homepark is SFoG; this is my first trip to SFoT.

I’ve always known that, on paper, it is a great park with a lot of different ride types and experiences, but it’s always nice to actually experience it. What a great assortment of rides! I had a great day.

SFoT has always been an enjoyable park. Like you my home park is Over Georgia. My very first SFoT visit was in 2001 for their Holiday in the Park! Since then I have been hooked. Nowadays me & my friends make an annual Texas trip to both Over Texas and Fiesta. NTAG was my first RMC - as it was also the SF chains' first. The experience holds up well no matter the RMC's that have come after it (Iron Rattler at Fiesta is GREAT).

You are right about the park layout being weird. Being the very first Six Flags and having had additions for nearly six decades make the park an easy place to get lost! This is a sharp contrast to the circular layout at SFoG.

While there are other parks in the SF chain with somewhat bigger and more thrills (I have been to eleven SF parks, including a couple now defunct), SFoT is a very special park with lots of history and an ambiance you cannot get at most parks. I guess that is why we make the I-20 journey every year!

I don't think I'm going to congratulate you unless you won it or something.

That being said having time to look over everything, I think Six Flags made a pretty good move here. Number one they still kept season passes both regular and gold. (And they even explain why it may be better then a membership.) I do expect during the next season pass renewal round in late August they will heavily promote memberships. Also, they will be making money off memberships year round rather then in blocks like passes. To be honest that Diamond Elite level is a steal. Around the same price as a Cedar Fair platinum with many more benefits. Though Over Texas is my home park, since I only visit maybe twice a year (along with another park or two) I'll stick with my pass for now. But if I visited often, would certainly consider a membership.