TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I'd hate to get rescued from a ride like this simply because there is no safety platform. It can't be easy for firefighters to free and retrieve people in a position like that so high up. I do wonder what the comps were for the riders though.

They were able to get the train unstuck from the magnetic fins, but now it's valleyed.

When was the train stuck on the magnetic fins?? In the photos when they were removing riders the train just appeared to be valleyed.

Six Flags Over Texas says strong headwinds caused "The Joker" to stop overnight, leaving eight people stuck on the ride for more than three hours.

Doesn't sound like it was magnetic fin related.

Looking at the coaster, there isn't much of a height differential between the lift and the tops of those first few hills. I can see how it valleyed there with the high headwinds the park mentioned.

I just don't get why the park would appear to have pulled the train back to the top of the second to last hill (on the top level), instead of just pulling it over that last hill on the top level. . . ?

EDIT: Nevermind. After a quick physics lesson from my partner (he's a physicist, as in has a degree in physics) now I know why they winched the train to where the did.

They were able to get the train unstuck from the magnetic fins, but now it's valleyed.

When was the train stuck on the magnetic fins?? In the photos when they were removing riders the train just appeared to be valleyed.

Six Flags Over Texas says strong headwinds caused "The Joker" to stop overnight, leaving eight people stuck on the ride for more than three hours.

It might not have been. Most likely the high winds caused it to valley. They used a crane to pull it up to the top of the hill and then released it. But it valleyed again, just not enough inertia to make it over the raven drop. I saw the whole thing today. At first, it looked to me like it was being held by the magnetic fins. But I could've been wrong.

Edited by Sportsdude360

Intereseting though, I've noticed all of the S&S 4D clones built this year seem to crawl over that last hump of the top level. I was wondering if this would turn into a valley problem.

Are they all named as "The Joker"? Because that would be kind of funny if they were.

Edited by WestCoasterKing

Hey, Windjammer, how's it going?

It might not have been. Most likely the high winds caused it to valley. They used a crane to pull it up to the top of the hill and then released it. But it valleyed again, just not enough inertia to make it over the raven drop. I saw the whole thing today. At first, it looked to me like it was being held by the magnetic fins. But I could've been wrong.

The ride was stopped on purpose by the safety system due to high winds. The magnetic fins are what stopped the ride. They then released the car from the fins where it valleyed in the little hump.

The ride was stopped on purpose by the safety system due to high winds. The magnetic fins are what stopped the ride. They then released the car from the fins where it valleyed in the little hump.

Those fins are there to control the flipping of the seats, or they are trims... They don't automatically "brake more" in an e-stop type of situation. . . They are not powered brakes. They are similar to TTD's brakes that are designed to always slow the train down to a specific speed. Trims don't stop the train in an e-stop situation. If that were the case, B&M's would valley all the time in an e-stop situation given they have trims on damn near every hill.

Definitely a non-story, local media grasping at straws per usual. The guy filming doesn't sound too bright either, and isn't even inside the park.

That appears to be stuck on the lift hill. It's not as bad as what happened on Saturday. Usually this type of thing can be corrected fairly quickly.

I've seen this happen multiple times on the Fiesta Texas' clone.

Yes... they put a system in place that (in the event of strong headwind) would valley the train on purpose and stop the riders at a position where the fire department would need to be called in and it would take 3 hours to evacuate the train.

Are you kidding me? The combination of weather and wheels that haven't broken in yet caused the train to valley. No safety system would purposely stop the ride where this ride stopped. It valleyed, it happens.