TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Magic Springs & Crystal Falls Discussion Thread

There's a chance that something will be announced next year before opening. I could see something small being added, but more likely the new owners will wait another year to monitor how the park is doing and then expand the water park again since that is what probably makes sense. They haven't sprung into investments the way CNL did when they first took ownership. So far DL is getting a rather small coaster and both FC and Wild Waves are getting a Christmas event next year. Seems like good ideas and a fairly cautious approach, but being cautious and frugal doesn't bode well for this park, IMO.

I didn't even know they had a Halloween event, but it looks like it was at least slightly successful. Seems kind of odd for the dry side of the park to be open by itself still though. If they got any actual crowds for Halloween I can't imagine what a cluster it must have been with their usual 5+ minute dispatches.

My thought on Magic Springs is that it's the Poor Man's Dollywood. Also the park like Wild Adventures is on the surface of the sun.

I'm sorry, what? How on earth is Magic Springs anything at all like Dollywood? I guess they are both technically parks with roller coasters, but that's about where the similarities end...

Like others have said, set your expectations low and be prepared to make your own fun out of the experience. I actually really enjoyed my visit to Hot Springs/MS awhile back. The coasters feel like they don't actually have a maintenance staff at the park, and the ride operators are scant and barely seem to care about actually putting people through the ride. It took several minutes to dispatch on Big Bad John, for example. BUT, X-Coaster is a pretty crazy experience, and if you are a wooden coaster masochistic like myself then Arkansas Twister is a unique thrill.

I still hope they don't gut the rides section anymore. It is what it is for now, but with a little work it could be OK. They just need a LOT more misters, more focus on water park and water attractions, and focus on quality for the rides they keep/add.

Here's what gets me, see that new GG for that small park in France, well here is a perfect park for that and any number of smaller footprint steel oasters like a Eurofighter or a Mack spinner.

Come to think of it, that used Mauer spinner for sale in Baton Rouge would work. A Disko with the hump would work. Hell, anything would be an improvement

A hydro magnetic water coaster in the water parkwould be the first thing I'd add though, there isn't one anywhere close, not even Branson. Add a drop box slide complex and that is a truly solid waterpark.

On July 24, 2017, the X-Coaster stopped leaving people stranded people 50 feet in the air for one hour, with temperatures reaching 95.

What is it with X-Coaster always seeming to have problems??

Also, I clearly missed the name change. I had no idea the park is now:

Magic Springs Theme and Water Park

I much preferred Magic Springs and Crystal Falls

Here's what gets me, see that new GG for that small park in France, well here is a perfect park for that and any number of smaller footprint steel oasters like a Eurofighter or a Mack spinner.

Come to think of it, that used Mauer spinner for sale in Baton Rouge would work. A Disko with the hump would work. Hell, anything would be an improvement.

Except for the fact the the owners are clearly not interested making changes to the ride side. No new rides since 2006, that's 12 years.

Come to think of it, that used Mauer spinner for sale in Baton Rouge would work. A Disko with the hump would work. Hell, anything would be an improvement.

Except for the fact the the owners are clearly not interested making changes to the ride side. No new rides since 2006, that's 12 years.

Yes, and several have been removed, including the mouse coaster and a couple of significant flats (at least by this park's standard).

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully in two years time after they add something to the waterpark side, they get a coaster. Since this is a low capacity kinda park, the make believe general manager in me sez get a Mack extreme compact spinning coaster with the turntable with a regular train that offers the forward and backward seats. Really three coaster experiences in one.

Since the main attraction in Hot Springs is the Oaklawn, I wish they would get a launched bike coaster themed to horse racing, the queue would look like the old grandstand.

YESSS! Did you guys hear? Magic Springs is adding a new drop tower for 2018! This one will be a Larson drop tower. I'm happy to finally see them adding something rather than removing something.

That's a great addition for the park! The Larson towers are the best model out of there in my opinion.

Does the park still have the double shot tower or did they remove that?

This came as a surprise, and it's huge news for this park. This means that the new owners are keeping the dry side and are going to build it back up to a full park. While the park suffers in the summer from how hot and muggy it is in HS, they have figured out that people still want to come out in Fall and even Winter. Their halloween event sounded like it was successful, and I'm sure they will expand into Christmas just like FC and Wild Waves are doing.

I wouldn't expect them to go crazy with adding dry rides again, but I think this will be the first of several new flats to be added over the next few years. HS is still struggling forward and there isn't a huge population base to give a serious ROI from a new coaster, but these cheaper Larson flats should give them pretty good value. Would love to see a set of flyers next.

YESSS! Did you guys hear? Magic Springs is adding a new drop tower for 2018! This one will be a Larson drop tower. I'm happy to finally see them adding something rather than removing something.

That's a great addition for the park! The Larson towers are the best model out of there in my opinion.

I also believe that Larson drop towers are the best drop towers. No matter how many times I ride one, the drop still comes as a complete surprise and I can't help put feel terrified inside. The drop seems so heavy on it! This will definitely be an improvement over Dr. Dean's Rocket Machine (though I loved the name and sign). DDRM was definitely the weakest S&S shot tower that I've ever ridden.

This gives me hope for Magic Springs! I was sure that they were starting to get rid of their dry park after they removed two of the flat rides. I'm predicting that they'll get some Larson flying scooters next.

I also believe that Larson drop towers are the best drop towers. No matter how many times I ride one, the drop still comes as a complete surprise and I can't help put feel terrified inside. The drop seems so heavy on it! This will definitely be an improvement over Dr. Dean's Rocket Machine (though I loved the name and sign). DDRM was definitely the weakest S&S shot tower that I've ever ridden.

This gives me hope for Magic Springs! I was sure that they were starting to get rid of their dry park after they removed two of the flat rides. I'm predicting that they'll get some Larson flying scooters next.

How about a Larson Looping Coaster?

^^ I don't really think so. They have the Hawk right now, which is a Zamperla hawk. Those two rides are VERY similar, the only difference being that your feet dangle on the Hawk. I'd love to see them add flying scooters since they are a great and fun family ride. Though it would surprise me if they got a super loop..... Which that isn't horrible; those things are fun!

YESSS! Did you guys hear? Magic Springs is adding a new drop tower for 2018!

WE DID!!!! We read the post right above yours.

I'm happy to finally see them adding something rather than removing something.

Same. It will be a much welcomed addition to the park. Plus, those Larson towers KICK ASS!!! They are some of the most intense drop towers out there. No doubt in my mind the regulars of this park will eat this ride up!

YESSS! Did you guys hear? Magic Springs is adding a new drop tower for 2018!

WE DID!!!! We read the post right above yours.

I'm happy to finally see them adding something rather than removing something.

Same. It will be a much welcomed addition to the park. Plus, those Larson towers KICK A$$!!! They are some of the most intense drop towers out there. No doubt in my mind the regulars of this park will eat this ride up!

I didn't really see that post before I posted my reply........ I just saw the reply about the mouse coaster being removed and then did my thing. Sorry. Anywho. But yeah, this tower will no doubt be more eye catching from both inside and outside the park. I remember you couldn't even see Dr. Dean's Rocket Machine from the road since it was so short. Plus Dr. Dean's Rocket Machine was just so weak.

• 2 months later...

I just recently found out that Twist 'N Shout was relocated to another park (Family Kingdom Amusement Park in Myrtle Beach). All this time I assumed it was scrapped. I know it wasn't anything special to most people, but it was my first, and at this time only, Wild Mouse Coaster. I'm happy to see it got another lease on life.

• 1 month later...

So I'm planning a visit here with my parents on a Saturday this upcoming May. What sort of crowds should I expect and what sort of lines? I've gotten the impression that it'll be slow operations from the past several pages, but wanted to ask to be sure since it's early in the season. We would plan on being there at park opening and don't want to spend too much time there since we'll be starting the drive to Pigeon Forge that day as well. Thank you!