Efteling Discussion Thread

Page 157: Efteling introduces Free "Fast Pass" system
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Efteling Discussion Thread

Postby Robinoo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:31 pm

Mystic Manor uses the wired system as well.

I really dislike the voice of Pardoes. Apparently it is some radio DJ. So you spend 34 million to bring every detail to life, but fail to hire a decent voice actor. For such a major part. It's a shame because the voice of the lackey really nails it (same guy as in the Making Of video).

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:04 am

Robinoo wrote:Mystic Manor uses the wired system as well.

Huh. That's really interesting, because in another article it's said to have used the same system as Pooh...

Here's how it works behind the scenes: there are electronic sensors placed throughout the floor of Pooh's Hunny Hunt. A computer, drawing on a local positioning system, communicates with all of the ride vehicles, directing them on unique routes based on the floor sensors. Because of this, up to eight vehicles can exist in one ride scene, in which they all perform the same way, go in different directions or appear to "dance" together.

Mystic Manor features a newer version of the technology employed in Tokyo, reportedly functioning on a barcode system (yes, like at the supermarket) that works in conjunction with signals sent via WiFi. In terms of functionality, it's a lot like Pooh: four Mystic Magneto-Electric Carriages are simultaneously dispatched from the load station, you gather together for the first scene and then each car has a slightly different ride experience.

We have been given a walking tour of Mystic Manor as well, and they also explained that the ride was controlled via WiFi coordinates given to the ride vehicles. So I'm not sure why in that video they talk about a wire under the floor (which IMO doesn't make a ride trackless as it still follows a track, it's just not a visual one.)

Either way I guess it doesn't really matter if the ride experience feels unique.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:44 am

Yes, Mystic Manor uses wi-fi to control the vehicles (there's literally a router at the bottom of each vehicle, the kind you see everywhere in real life) I guess by newer version it means Pooh uses something older than wi-fi, IR if I recall correctly, to control the vehicles on which path to follow.

For Mystic Manor, there are sensors embedded to the floor to control and tell the vehicles if they are at the right spot and those sensors are wired together to trigger special effects etc. But the vehicles don't follow the wire, they "collect" sensors like how Mario collects the mushrooms. They go towards a certain direction until they reach the next sensor and the next sensor tells the vehicle what to do such as go towards another direction, spin, or tilt (Ratatouille). Occasionally you see metal plates on the floor but those are for quick charging since the vehicles run on battery. The wifi control tells the vehicles which path to take and is responsible for E-stop, reset, adding/removing a vehicle, adding the accessible vehicle to the course, turns on/off all the vehicles etc. By the way, when the system is shut down, all the vehicles are scattered around the ride course, that's a fun view to see.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby RCT3Bross » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:59 pm

All these positive reviews and here I come.
Truth to be told I was underwelmt maybe expected more. It's not bad and the theming is great but the theme choice wasn't great. I really love Droomvlucht but this just didn't click to me. I think families and small children might like it, and when we where with a group and actually where creating fun it was great.
I ended up doing all three tours and the schattetour was the best but that was the ride we actually had fun on.
Honestly I really like the music and the announcement to watch your stuf and the others like those.

If I had to rank the Darkrides of the park:
1. Droomvlucht (remains the best after all this time)
2. Fata Morgana
3. Symbolica
4. Carnaval Festival
Roller Coaster Traveler 3 Bross Parks of 2017: Efteling, Movie park, Phantasialand.
2017 Rides: Star Trek (Movie park)

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby JordyC » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:58 pm

^That's pretty interesting. Because I absolutely loved Symbolica. My expectations were high, and it exceeded all of them. In my opinion, the ride gets better the more you ride it because there are so many things to see, and everytime you discover something different you didn't saw the first time. For me, it is clearly the best Dark Ride at the park. But hey, we all have different opinions, and that's what makes it fun right? ;)
Quality Over Quantity

1. Shambhala - PortAventura Park 2. Taron - Phantasialand 3. Helix - Liseberg 4. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 5. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa-Park 6. Blue Fire Megacoaster - Europa-Park 7. Silver Star - Europa-Park 8. Goliath - Walibi Holland 9. Balder - Liseberg 10. Alpina Blitz - Nigloland

Coasters: 158 || Parks: 31

Phantasialand Wintertraum || Movie Park Germany || Nigloland || Walygator Parc || Bakken || Tivoli Gardens || PortAventura || Ferrari Land || Plopsaland De Panne || Efteling || Liseberg

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Ethir Nandor » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:12 am

I only did the treasure tour so far. I have mixed feelings.

It is very well made, lots of details. Great for small children. I also love the effort they did on the outside to make the building seem smaller than it is.
But on the other hand, I found the inside too plasticy and 'merry'. Also, the little game/selection points might be nice for the people in the front seat, but it is just an annoying hold-up for the people in the back row.

In general, It is a high quality ride, but I prefer the more gritty rides like the flying dutchman and the Fata Morgana.
I would prefer if the Efteling sticks with its own darker fairytale style: nobody else does that like they do, while this ride looks like it could be in any Disney park.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby funtime_arena » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:31 am

Check here some nice impressions of Symbolica included the Pre-Show and a full onride of the "Heldentour"

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby RCT3Bross » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:51 am

JordyC wrote:^That's pretty interesting. Because I absolutely loved Symbolica. My expectations were high, and it exceeded all of them. In my opinion, the ride gets better the more you ride it because there are so many things to see, and everytime you discover something different you didn't saw the first time. For me, it is clearly the best Dark Ride at the park. But hey, we all have different opinions, and that's what makes it fun right? ;)

I'm glad to hear a lot of people seem to enjoy it which makes me happy for the fact that it's money well spend. It's just not for me and I can live with that.

I collected my thought and did some research as to what's "it" that doesn't allow me to connect. Symbolica is different in almost all aspects to the other Darkrides in the park.
1: Speech: It uses speech which isn't new for the Efteling Fata Morgana also has it but there is a huge difference. FM uses speech in brining their characters to life, we're on a market and people are selling things to us things like that. Symbolica however uses speech in a more story telling vibe, something happens and there is a reaction. It encourages a story that truth to be told isn't there we're just touring a castle. DV and CF don't use speech and both still sell you on whats going on. 
2: Scene's: FM and DV both feel drastically longer while FM is also around 7 minutes and DV is even shorter around 5 and a half minutes. This happens because both rides have grand set pieces as scene's and Symbolica uses small rooms, Panorama is an exception of the rule. These scene's are more to be compared to CF, although CF tries to hide this by excluding hallways like FM and DV have, Symbolica also uses Hallways which are very long and take up half the ride.
3: Split up: The fact that we have three different tours makes for a great idea somebody who doesn't go to much can suddenly be surprised by a different scene they don't remember. This is completely unique for the park, but it's one scene that's not like the others It felt like wasted potential.
4: Interactive: Again completely unique for the park yet even with the touch screens it didn't feel like you where in control except for the treasure tour with the diamond the rest felt programmed, maybe an early bug and I will keep watch of it in the future.

So my final conclusion is: It wasn't one thing it where more things. They could have done more but the ride fell short. It might grow on me it might never click, only time can tell.
Roller Coaster Traveler 3 Bross Parks of 2017: Efteling, Movie park, Phantasialand.
2017 Rides: Star Trek (Movie park)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Max.schollen » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:40 pm

Hello I have a question
What do you think of this ride overlooked by other trackless rides
And the efteling has set a ride on a global level

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby JooordiW » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:08 pm

Some amazing picture of Symbolica without fence:

Source: @Eftelwesley, @Plaetjesmakers, @JelmereH

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!