Efteling Discussion Thread

Page 157: Efteling introduces Free "Fast Pass" system
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Re: Efteling Discussion Thread

Postby JooordiW » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:40 am

The pre show:

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby RCT3Bross » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:23 am

I must say now I watched those onrides I really dislike it when Pardoes says something. I'm not at all exited I believe it will be beautiful and I will reserve final judgment untill I rode it (Tomorrow.) but I believe I won't rush to ride this.
Roller Coaster Traveler 3 Bross Parks of 2017: Efteling, Movie park, Phantasialand.
2017 Rides: Star Trek (Movie park)

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby Pear » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:34 am

The whale animatronic is my favorite part of the ride! It just looks so realistic.
The best coaster is Boulder Dash

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:53 am

Watched the videos and here's a couple of quick thoughts...

1. The trackless system doesn't seem to be *that* many trackless "tricks" as rides like Pooh and Mystic Manor do. Was really hoping there would be a room or two where the vehicles would interact more with each other or feel as though there would be some near misses, but other than the section where they split off to their own theme, there doesn't seem to be that much reason for this ride to have used a trackless system.

2. The ride itself looks VERY pretty and incredibly well themed! And I love the interactive elements of it pressing the buttons on your vehicle.

3. That being said, I honestly found the video to be sort of boring. Maybe it's more exciting in person?

Looks like a solid ride though...

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Themed steel » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:08 pm

It's definitely true that the ride isn't very thrilling, it's more of a relaxed ride that's about appreciating the atmosphere and theming, which is amazingly done. Now, some people might not find this exciting and would like something a bit more thrilling, but I do think this ride is awesome (definitely better in person).

I agree that the trackless ride vehicles might not have been used to the most optimal extent (in the eyes of theme park enthusiasts), but keep in mind that these ETF systems use a wire guided system and not LPS like Disney, which makes it bit more limited. Also, the roundabouts, dead ends and several other situations do use the system quite well, although the main focus of the use of the ride vehicle in this particular ride is of course the immersion and illusion of floating over the floor without a track.

Postby JooordiW » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:48 pm

robbalvey wrote:Watched the videos and here's a couple of quick thoughts...

1. The trackless system doesn't seem to be *that* many trackless "tricks" as rides like Pooh and Mystic Manor do. Was really hoping there would be a room or two where the vehicles would interact more with each other or feel as though there would be some near misses, but other than the section where they split off to their own theme, there doesn't seem to be that much reason for this ride to have used a trackless system.

2. The ride itself looks VERY pretty and incredibly well themed! And I love the interactive elements of it pressing the buttons on your vehicle.

3. That being said, I honestly found the video to be sort of boring. Maybe it's more exciting in person?

Looks like a solid ride though...

1: There still fixing a lot of things in the ride. The trackless has an added value, they now have amazing themed floors and they can drive in Closed rooms. The trains follows a wire that reduced the possibilities a bit, but there still are some cool parts. Like the dancing part on the end.

2: I agree! Your able to turn the fantasy train in the ballroom, that's an really nice effect.

3: It's not the full onride, there is an nice photo effect on the end where you see all the animatronics in paintings, and youself :P (1 minute longer then MM) The ride itself takes about 7 minutes. You really need to visited it yourself, this is an camera view that don't film everything. There a lot of hidden estereggs, like a small trolley of the big carousel. A lot of effects are still not working well, they are still working on it. Today, the reactions were allmost all positive, so it will be better with the day :)

All the animatronic pictures will move after some particles effects

Full onride with end pictures:

Last edited by JooordiW on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:52 pm.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:51 pm

Themed steel wrote:It's definitely true that the ride isn't very thrilling, it's more of a relaxed ride that's about appreciating the atmosphere and theming, which is amazingly done. Now, some people might not find this exciting and would like something a bit more thrilling, but I do think this ride is awesome (definitely better in person).

Oh, I didn't mean "thrilling" I just meant that the ride seems boring, that's all. Rides like Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Mystic Manor, and even the original Haunted Mansion are also not "thrilling" but they are incredible rides! As I said, maybe the in person experience will be better, but I was really losing interest in the ride about half way through the video.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:53 pm

JooordiW wrote:The trains follows a wire that reduced the possibilities a bit, but there still are some cool parts. Like the dancing part on the end.

Oh, so it's not a true "trackless" ride then? A real trackless ride, like Pooh, Aquatopia, and Mystic Manor is all radio controller and the positions of the vehicles are based on GPS coordinates. On a ride like this, that tech goes all the way back to the early 1980s with rides like Universe of Energy and Great Movie Ride which are also technically "Trackless" but actually follow a guide wire under the floor. IMO, that is not a true "trackless" ride as we know it today.

Postby JooordiW » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:58 pm

robbalvey wrote:
JooordiW wrote:The trains follows a wire that reduced the possibilities a bit, but there still are some cool parts. Like the dancing part on the end.

Oh, so it's not a true "trackless" ride then? A real trackless ride, like Pooh, Aquatopia, and Mystic Manor is all radio controller and the positions of the vehicles are based on GPS coordinates. On a ride like this, that tech goes all the way back to the early 1980s with rides like Universe of Energy and Great Movie Ride which are also technically "Trackless" but actually follow a guide wire under the floor. IMO, that is not a true "trackless" ride as we know it today.

That's right indeed, this ride is using a wire under the themed floor (http://www.etf.nl/ride-systems/products/etf-mystic-mover). It may has something to do with the bugdet, 35 is a lot of money, but not when you compere it with an Disney darkride.

Ofcourse it feels like a trackless ride, people don't see the differents. But there are indeed not that mutch options like the Disney trackless darkrides. Still it's an very cool ride that you really need to see with your own eyes! Perfect for the Efteling target group :)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Themed steel » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:07 pm

robbalvey wrote:
Themed steel wrote:It's definitely true that the ride isn't very thrilling, it's more of a relaxed ride that's about appreciating the atmosphere and theming, which is amazingly done. Now, some people might not find this exciting and would like something a bit more thrilling, but I do think this ride is awesome (definitely better in person).

Oh, I didn't mean "thrilling" I just meant that the ride seems boring, that's all. Rides like Pooh's Hunny Hunt, Mystic Manor, and even the original Haunted Mansion are also not "thrilling" but they are incredible rides! As I said, maybe the in person experience will be better, but I was really losing interest in the ride about half way through the video.

Ah, yes, I get what you mean, I can tell you one thing though, it's not boring in person at all! I have seen quite some criticism on little things, but nobody thinks it's boring. I can see why you would find the on-ride boring though.

robbalvey wrote:

Yeah, this does follow a wire in the floor instead of LPS coordinates like the newer Disney rides. It's still able to do splits, switches, dead-ends, crossings, but in a more limited way then the LPS systems. IMO, it is still trackless because you don't see a track on the ground and it is still more flexible then a tracked system.

BTW, does anybody know if these LPS systems are available on the market, I'm pretty sure that if you're not Disney (or another company with huge budgets to develop their own ride system) the only option for "trackless" you have is wire-guided.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!