TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best and Lamest Coaster "Ending"

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maverick's ending (everything after the lake turn) is pretty sweet. I also like Banshee's inline twist-helix combo. And many people will probably disagree with this one, but I love how Full Throttle slams into the brakes right after the top hat drop. It's a weird combination of ejector air and being violently thrown forward, and it makes for a great ending in my opinion. Oh, and Silver Bullet's corkscrew-airtime-corkscrew-helix combo is fantastic as well. I could list several dozen coasters here.

As for lame endings, aside from the lift-hill-into-station coasters, GateKeeper is up there. Everything after the last inline twist is a total snooze fest. Great Bear's meandering after the last corkscrew is boring as well, but I'll cut Hershey a little slack since they were working with several limitations and restrictions on that coaster.

Maverick's ending (everything after the lake turn) is pretty sweet. I also like Banshee's inline twist-helix combo. And many people will probably disagree with this one, but I love how YOLOcoaster slams into the brakes right after the top hat drop. It's a weird combination of ejector air and being violently thrown forward, and it makes for a great ending in my opinion. Oh, and Silver Bullet's corkscrew-airtime-corkscrew-helix combo is fantastic as well. I could list several dozen coasters here.

As for lame endings, aside from the lift-hill-into-station coasters, GateKeeper is up there. Everything after the last inline twist is a total snooze fest. Great Bear's meandering after the last corkscrew is boring as well, but I'll cut Hershey a little slack since they were working with several limitations and restrictions on that coaster.

I actually enjoy GateKeeper a lot but that may be because I don't get to ride wing coasters too often. It's not forceful, but I find helixes on wing coasters fun. I know I'm in the minority though. I don't knock Great Bear for the ending for the reasons you said. It's deliberate and better than adding an extra element that is a total bust.

And many people will probably disagree with this one, but I love how YOLOcoaster slams into the brakes right after the top hat drop. It's a weird combination of ejector air and being violently thrown forward, and it makes for a great ending in my opinion.

That part is hit and miss. A couple of times, the brakes slammed so hard that the lap bar punched me in the gut and knocked the wind out of me.

• 2 weeks later...

This seems like one that is rarely discussed, but I would actually say that the ending of Skyrush is a little anti-climatic. After the final (insane) airtime hill, it sort of just rolls through a wave turn then glides to the brakes.

But this is one case where I really do not care. Skyrush is just so amazing and keeps up its pace so well, one dead turn at the end does not affect my view of the ride.

Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Orlando

The fake station, the theatrical Mummy appearance, the flames on the ceiling, then the descent into hell...it's an unexpected, cheesy, exhilarating blast.

Completely forgot about that ending! It's impressive how Universal got that much track into a (mostly) pre-existing building (the track goes over and under each other after the launched lift)

This seems like one that is rarely discussed, but I would actually say that the ending of Skyrush is a little anti-climatic. After the final (insane) airtime hill, it sort of just rolls through a wave turn then glides to the brakes.

But this is one case where I really do not care. Skyrush is just so amazing and keeps up its pace so well, one dead turn at the end does not affect my view of the ride.

I almost sort of want to agree because I have often wondered if they could have maybe squeezed in a right hand turn after that final ridiculous airtime hill into some sort of helix over the creek before heading back to the brake run. But that final hill is so f*cked up as is that I ultimately have no issue with the ending of Skyrush.

• 1 month later...

The end of Superman:ROS and ROS is insane. The ejector you get on the bunny hills is breathtaking.

The worse is probably Volcano. There could've been so much more to the ride but it just ends with a bunch of inline twists and a drop into the Volcano

Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Orlando

The fake station, the theatrical Mummy appearance, the flames on the ceiling, then the descent into hell...it's an unexpected, cheesy, exhilarating blast.

Agreed!! Mummy has a great ending!! Such a great ride!!

The worse is probably Volcano...

Agreed. While I do love the coaster, the decent sized dive down into a brake run was a huge disappointment my first ride.

The best ride ending in my opinion is magnum Xl200 as the ending is the absolute best part of the ride (those crazy airtime triangles)

Worst ending is leviathan, the break run is so high up, pretty much higher than the first drop on the arrow looper right next to it, and it feels like you have so much speed going into it (you get airtime on the hill into the break run)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Agreed on Leviathan having a terrible ending. They cut that ride off way too early. It's still very good, but it was another couple of airtime hills or other creative maneuvers short of being everything it should have been, and I had that criticism of it the first time I rode it.

I think that gives Fury 325 a boost in my eyes. Fury 325 is the best ride in existence in my opinion, and I consider it that based on its own merits, but I do feel like it gets a bit of a bonus for not ending until it's truly out of gas.

• 7 months later...

I've always thought Big Thunder at Disneyland had a pretty lame ending. You go up the final lift hill and they have all those explosions, then it's just a gradual slope dow with a turn to the bones. Then it's pretty much done. While it's not terrible, I always thought it needed a more amazing ending.

^ In the other hand, DLP's Big Thunder Mountain has a truly awesome ending. The rush through the tunnel is incredible, you go up to 65kph (while Space Mountain tops at 70...) and thanks to the wind you definitely feel like you're going faster than that. Then, the ultimate move is a hop from the tunnel, with a pop of air for the first rows... Amazing ending within an amazing ride.

Best:

Silver Bullet: graceful rolls into a tight helix. The ultimate expression of the inverted coaster.

Phoenix: a series of relentless bunny hops leaving me easily six inches out of my seat.

Griffon: a splash brake leaving rainbows for those watching if the sun's in the right place.

Steel Venom: The holding brake makes it the best impulse.

Worst:

Verbolten: A bad cover version of the Big Bad Wolf's ending. The drop now only serves to simultaneously deliver intensity uncalled for on a family coaster and kill the pacing by having to launch all the way up into it, then being too big for those turns. The Big Bad Wolf had that drop trimmed for a reason. They should have just eased outside and then done (a gentler) launch straight into those turns.

Volcano: a dive into the brake run. Couldn't they have done another lap around the structure or something?

^ In the other hand, DLP's Big Thunder Mountain has a truly awesome ending. The rush through the tunnel is incredible, you go up to 65kph (while Space Mountain tops at 70...) and thanks to the wind you definitely feel like you're going faster than that. Then, the ultimate move is a hop from the tunnel, with a pop of air for the first rows... Amazing ending within an amazing ride.

Everytime I see this thread, my first thought is Big Thunder Mountain

Does Everest count? I know it’s just an S bend without the Yeti but it just works so well.

Some of the best: Maverick, Outlaw Run, Big Grizzly Mountain, Python in Bamboo Forest, Eejanaika (facing down on the brake run), Space Fantasy, Silver Bullet, Raven, Fire Dragon.

Some of the worst: Adventure Express, Gatekeeper, Voyage (gosh just end it already!), Storm Chaser, BTMR DL and MK, Cheetah Hunt (it’s awkward, like the cheetah caught its prey and is twisting its neck to kill it), Powder Keg.