Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:01 am

I'll be there on a Saturday in September and have every intention of purchasing Flash Pass if necessary. :lol:

Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:18 pm

I'm considering SFOG as our Halloween destination this year. I couldn't find any trip reports for Fright Fest over the last couple years. Is it a decent event? Also, I know SFGam has a reputation for having kind of a rough crowd on the weekends, now. How are the clientele during FF? I've been to haunts where the park is pretty much exclusively crowds of roaming obnoxious teenagers after 9ish. It may seem like a silly question, but I'd rather have a relaxing time to an extent, since I deal with obnoxious behavior enough as it is.

Either that, or we may take a page out of Joe's book and just go on a Saturday in September.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:18 pm

prozach626 wrote:I'm considering SFOG as our Halloween destination this year. I couldn't find any trip reports for Fright Fest over the last couple years. Is it a decent event? Also, I know SFGam has a reputation for having kind of a rough crowd on the weekends, now. How are the clientele during FF? I've been to haunts where the park is pretty much exclusively crowds of roaming obnoxious teenagers after 9ish. It may seem like a silly question, but I'd rather have a relaxing time to an extent, since I deal with obnoxious behavior enough as it is.

Either that, or we may take a page out of Joe's book and just go on a Saturday in September.

SFoG can get insanely crowded during Fright Fest. Saturdays are (of course) the worst. Friday and Sunday not quite as bad. Nice thing about Friday and Saturday is they stay open 'til midnight. A couple things to keep in mind - the later you get into October, the more ramped up the crowds get, as you get closer to Halloween. Having said that, I did notice the park added October 29-30-31 to the calendar, so going on Monday the 29th or Tuesday the 30th might have less of a crowd due to being weeknights, plus the fact not everyone will be aware the park is open!

As for the clientele, I have not been privy to any issues or rowdiness, etc. Yes, the place can get crazy busy but I have not seen unruly crowd behavior. Not saying it has not or cannot happen, but being my 'home' park I am not aware of anything like that.

The haunts range from OK to pretty good, perhaps getting gradually better year by year. IMHO none of them are really scary but the park does give good attention to detail on some of the haunts. Lines can get very long so if you can splurge on a VIP haunt wristband, go for it as you can bypass the sometimes horrendous waits. Also you don't want to miss the Dr. Frights Dead Mans' Party show. It is extremely popular - and has been rockin' since 1994!

I did post a TR without photos for FF last October - more of a review of Fright Fest itself. Since many haunted attractions are recycled and/or somewhat modified each year, that report will at least be partially relevant to this year.

Best of luck- hope this helps!

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:53 pm

A.J. wrote:Interesting, but that's only for passholders and members, right? Do you think that it would make the Saturday a better day to go?

Must. Not. Purchase. Flash. Pass.
I think 99% of the people at sfog have season passes or memberships.. the busiest day I have ever been there was on season pass holders night during frightfest.. never doing that again!

It was only open to season pass holders and their friends. (Friends got a discounted ticket)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Last edited by dstephe9 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:01 am.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:00 am

Lotologist492 wrote:
prozach626 wrote:I'm considering SFOG as our Halloween destination this year. I couldn't find any trip reports for Fright Fest over the last couple years. Is it a decent event? Also, I know SFGam has a reputation for having kind of a rough crowd on the weekends, now. How are the clientele during FF? I've been to haunts where the park is pretty much exclusively crowds of roaming obnoxious teenagers after 9ish. It may seem like a silly question, but I'd rather have a relaxing time to an extent, since I deal with obnoxious behavior enough as it is.

SFoG can get insanely crowded during Fright Fest. Saturdays are (of course) the worst. Friday and Sunday not quite as bad. Nice thing about Friday and Saturday is they stay open 'til midnight. A couple things to keep in mind - the later you get into October, the more ramped up the crowds get, as you get closer to Halloween. Having said that, I did notice the park added October 29-30-31 to the calendar, so going on Monday the 29th or Tuesday the 30th might have less of a crowd due to being weeknights, plus the fact not everyone will be aware the park is open!

As for the clientele, I have not been privy to any issues or rowdiness, etc. Yes, the place can get crazy busy but I have not seen unruly crowd behavior. Not saying it has not or cannot happen, but being my 'home' park I am not aware of anything like that.

The haunts range from OK to pretty good, perhaps getting gradually better year by year. IMHO none of them are really scary but the park does give good attention to detail on some of the haunts. Lines can get very long so if you can splurge on a VIP haunt wristband, go for it as you can bypass the sometimes horrendous waits. Also you don't want to miss the Dr. Frights Dead Mans' Party show. It is extremely popular - and has been rockin' since 1994!

I did post a TR without photos for FF last October - more of a review of Fright Fest itself. Since many haunted attractions are recycled and/or somewhat modified each year, that report will at least be partially relevant to this year.

Best of luck- hope this helps!
In the past SFOG has had an outside company do their haunt's and the company that does them is one of the best in the south! I have gone every year for the past 6 or so years.. last season was a wash out and we really didn't do anything or stay.. Crowd's are very large and the haunt's have a very long line normally. My wife and I get a flash pass because we like the night rides on coasters but you can't do both (night rides and haunt's) without a flash pass.. we book a ride and then wait on a haunt.. (flash passes aren't good for haunt's).. after the haunt we ride our ride and then book another and wait in line for a haunt..

Keep in mind, they have a few indoor haunt's and I suggest doing those during the day. One is small but on is fairly large.. no lines for those during the day.. the "free' haunt's are small and basict tiny themed area's.. the larger haunt's cost money but are worth it if you like that type of stuff.. just check their schedules!! Some of the haunt's take a break about halfway through the night.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:22 am

Jesus... so you book a ride and wait for a haunt meaning that it takes you the entire time of waiting in line for the haunt for your ride to be ready???

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:53 am

I guess I'm thinking Sunday the 9th or Saturday the 15th to go then. Hopefully there won't be too many people that use the bring a friend free perk. Saturday the 8th is Greek day so I'm staying away from that.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:24 am

Me and my wife fly into Charlotte NC every January to visit my folks down there. Is SFOG open in January?

Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:25 am

prozach626 wrote:Jesus... so you book a ride and wait for a haunt meaning that it takes you the entire time of waiting in line for the haunt for your ride to be ready???
Rides move faster then haunt's but it does take a good 30 mins sometimes for the ride to be ready, at least on sat nights.. that's the basic flash pass though

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:55 pm

^Ah. Can anyone comment on how the highest level flash pass waits are on Fright Fest? Also, I'm assuming SF did their usual MO and you can only purchase a couple flash pass rides on Georgia Cyclone which have to be scheduled in advance?
Last edited by prozach626 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:21 am.
Post a reply