Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

P. 587 - Twisted Cyclone RMC Coaster for 2018 Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Postby JT325 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:18 am

CoasterGuy06 wrote:
Mindbender had one train operation. On a weekend? Really?

It's trains are nearly 40 years old and built by a manufacturer that went out of business decades ago. If its running one train you can almost guarantee that if you look inside the storage shed the other train will be in some stage of disassembly. Maybe the next project will be to finally get new trains for it like SFMM did for Revolution in 2016.

Mind Bender has had new parts made for it's trains several times in the past 40 years. As have Shockwave at SFOG, Montezooma's Revenge at Knott's, etc. etc. None of whats on those trains is from 1978. The new trains on sooperdooperLooper at Hersheypark are not exact clones, but they are their 3rd set of trains.

Exact parts can be made long after a manufacture has closed up shop. One train running on Mind Bender is poor operations and your $70 season pass going to work. If season passes were appropriately priced, Six Flags would have better operations. You get what you pay for. It's give and take with Six Flags. Good on some points, bad on others. We can't get everything all the time when they let us in the park for next to nothing.

The new trains on Revolution at SFMM: the chassis and lap bars are exact duplicates of the original (just like Mind Bender) but the seating, headrests and shells (which are all one piece) are total dollar store specials. It would be very sad to see such cheap things running on Mind Bender.

One thing that makes Schwarzkopf loopers so special is the simple seating they came with. Nice smooth and nearly completely flat seats you can slide around in. Simple padded sides, and a fiberglass frame which is properly mounted to the chassis - resulting in little to no vibration.

Six Flags has faithfully reproduced these parts over the years for Mind Bender and Shockwave. As an avid Schwarzkopf fan, I can also confirm Whizzer (although different seating) has had it's train parts replaced very faithfully over the years. These parks treasure their classic Anton rides, and rightfully so. There were only a handful made.

With Revolution, they did a great job on the chassis and lap bars, but the seating is buckety and molded along the sides. It feels more like an RMC than a Schwarzkopf. The shell and headrest vibrate because it's all one piece and just feels cheap. That type of seating is ok on an RMC ride, but not on a ride that is known for it's comfort and simpleness.

And a little more input. Whizzer has 5 trains. 2 or 3 trains are on the track and transfer, while the other 2 or 3 are in the shop. They are continually on a long-term rehab rotation. Everything is taken apart; parts are swapped out for refurbishment or complete replacement with newly produced reproduction parts. This can be expensive and takes time. Every year, they have 2 complete trains ready for operation. A third train is usually out on track or transfer by late spring.

Similar situation with Mind Bender and Shock Wave. Both of those coasters did run 3 trains at one time; I have not seen more than 2 on location for either in a very long time. They both have 3 complete trains, albeit in parts. If you ask another Schwarzkopf fan, they might suggest there are even more trains on each. However, running 2 complete and good-looking trains comes down to budget (parts, etc.) and operational issues.

Friendly suggestion: stop buy Guest Relations and politely let them how you would like to see them improve operations. If you want to tell them (or write a letter) stating how much you like a certain ride (like MB, for example) you can tell them that too. Every little bit counts. Just do it with class and kindness, please.
#CPFrontierLift2019

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:25 am

With every Six Flags thread now wishing their park gets a clone of SFFT's Raptor coaster, how funny would it be if Georgia Cyclone was completely torn down and replaced with a Raptor instead of receiving the I-Box treatment?
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby beenagins87 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:22 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:With every Six Flags thread now wishing their park gets a clone of SFFT's Raptor coaster, how funny would it be if Georgia Cyclone was completely torn down and replaced with a Raptor instead of receiving the I-Box treatment?

I'm wondering the same thing, the way the worded it made it seem like more than one park in the chain is getting one.
Coasters: 96 66 Steel, 30 Wood)

Top 5 Wood: 1 Lightning Rod 1B) Beast at night 2. Goliath 3. The Voyage 4. Mystic Timbers 5. American Thunder

Top 5 Steel: 1. I305 2. Goliath ( SFOG) 3. TN Tornado 4. V2 5. Batman: The Ride

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:35 am

I still think an I-Box is coming since reusing the Cyclone's structure seems like a more cost-effective move.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby beenagins87 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:54 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:I still think an I-Box is coming since reusing the Cyclone's structure seems like a more cost-effective move.

Either way, I'm pumped that we're 99.9% getting some type of RMC.
Coasters: 96 66 Steel, 30 Wood)

Top 5 Wood: 1 Lightning Rod 1B) Beast at night 2. Goliath 3. The Voyage 4. Mystic Timbers 5. American Thunder

Top 5 Steel: 1. I305 2. Goliath ( SFOG) 3. TN Tornado 4. V2 5. Batman: The Ride

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby CoasterGuy06 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:00 am

Not every footer had markings on it. If they were removing the whole structure wouldn't either:
A.) They all have markings, or
B.) None of them have markings because they could just tell the demo crew "Just take this whole thing down." ;)

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Jccoasterfan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:13 am

Six Flags over Georgia does not need another low-capacity coaster, so I don't see a Raptor ever going in (or at least not anytime soon). Therefore, I'm still leaning towards an actual RMC conversion of GA Cyclone.

It's true that not every footer is marked. However, the only ones that I noticed were marked were the ones that the actual wooden beams were attached to. There were a lot of unused footers that had no markings on them. The exit queue was also marked.

That being said, most evidence is pointing towards a full RMC conversion. With the coaster now closed and the fact that this has followed the trend of other Six Flags parks with RMC-converted coasters, it seems very likely at this point. If they were to tear it down, I would see an S&S Freespin in its spot, but I doubt that at the moment.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Jobo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:32 am

Jccoasterfan wrote:Six Flags over Georgia does not need another low-capacity coaster, so I don't see a Raptor ever going in (or at least not anytime soon)

Six Flags has little concern for capacity. They have recently put 4D's in to parks with 3.2M+ visitors(SFGAm and SFGAdv). They are placing a RMC Raptor at SFFT which has even lower capacity than the 4D it got back in 2015. The last 2 coasters at SFFT have capacity fitting of small parks and it's not a small park. They feel it seems waiting is fine and lines may boost fast pass sales.

Edit..mean SFFT not SFMM
Last edited by Jobo on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:15 am.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby CoasterGuy06 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:34 am

JT325 wrote:Similar situation with Mind Bender and Shock Wave. Both of those coasters did run 3 trains at one time; I have not seen more than 2 on location for either in a very long time. They both have 3 complete trains, albeit in parts. If you ask another Schwarzkopf fan, they might suggest there are even more trains on each. However, running 2 complete and good-looking trains comes down to budget (parts, etc.) and operational issues.

Mindbender's third train was supposedly moved over to Viper when it opened back in 1995.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Jccoasterfan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:39 pm

Six Flags over Georgia did their final send-off to Georgia Cyclone in this video. Notice the tease towards the end, mentioning a "next generation of ride" coming..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fz9d8koedQ&t=0s

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!