Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

P. 611 - Twisted Cyclone Construction Tour!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Come one. Come all. Ride the roller coaster in my pants.

Re: Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Postby SFOGdude25 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:27 pm

SFOG1991 wrote:The park offered ACE members the final ride and that is why they were being held at the end of the line just before closing, and I appreciated having a way to be on the last public train! Cyclone has always been one of my favorites since I was a small child so it was great to have the final ride. Very bittersweet. I'm embarrassed to say it made me a bit more emotional inside than I anticipated.

Dude I feel you. It didn't quite hit me until the cycling stopped for the evening. I was hanging out on the exit ramp for a few minutes to take some pictures with my camera, and I was so struck by how extra quiet the whole area was. It was a very bittersweet and nostalgic moment knowing that the ride would never run again. It for sure marked the end of a personal era for me.

Also regarding the Google Maps thing, don't obsess over it. The park already has 2 Joker coasters LOL.
Last edited by SFOGdude25 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:09 pm.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby SLCHeadache » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:59 pm

Didn't have the chance to type this up until now. Was asleep most of Sunday recovering.

The return train was an hour late. With my Platinum Flash Pass, I had just enough time to get every credit, and nothing else.

Goliath: Crazy story. I didn't see the fluffies (because they were by the regular queue entrance), took my bag (it's like a fanny pack except it's over the shoulder), and the ride ops made me carry it on the ride instead of turning me away and telling me to use the fluffies so I could store it. Really took me by surprise after the Georgia Cyclone ops sent me to the fluffies.
The helix is amazing, the airtime hills were at least strong floater, I didn't feel trims biting much if at all, and the usage of terrain is the best I've seen on a hyper. Were it not for the noticeable (and even audible off-ride) rattle, this would edge out Nitro.
Mindbender: If Revolution traded some of its view (this partially overlooks the parking lot) for a more intense ride, this would be it. A little of everything, even some pops of airtime. Final brake run did not slam me like every other Schwarzkopf. Easily top 20 steel, and second to Ninja at Magic Mountain on my list of "family" coasters.
Blue Hawk: Layout really reminds me of an SLC the way everything is packed together. The restraints save it from being painful. Makes me want to try a "good" SLC. I have yet to ride a Vekoma at a Disney park, but this is probably the best Vekoma I have ridden.
Georgia Scorcher: B&M finally get the stand-up right with Riddler's Revenge and this, and then they stop making stand-ups. Would be very sad to see this converted into a floorless, it wouldn't even measure up to the two sit-down loopers at the park if converted.
Great American Scream Machine: Really good-looking ride, only enhanced by the setting. Buzz bars are always good, got very good floater airtime. Must have gotten a wheel seat, though.
Georgia Cyclone: Glad to have ridden it. Rode backseat, glorious ejector airtime, but nasty bouts of roughness to drag it back down. If it's half as good as the real thing, an NYC day/weekend trip might be in the cards next year (blew the budget getting here in the first place).
Dahlonega Mine Train: First time riding a mine train still with some wood supports and also with a tunnel.
Superman: Yes, I know it's been cloned, but the landscaping sets it above its clones and just ahead of the Vekoma Flying Dutchman. Lost quite a bit of time due to technical difficulties with the nearby fluffies.
Batman: Felt like Batman should.
Joker Funhouse Coaster: A custom(?) kiddie coaster with a surprising sense of speed.
Dare Devil Dive: Better than SpongeBob (not as good as Impulse). Bonus points for the smoothest MCBR I have ever experienced. Why 6-seat cars? Capacity is terrible for a park of this attendance.

The park itself has very good landscaping and charm for a Six Flags park. Better than Magic Mountain and Great Adventure in that regard. Operations were wonky, between Mindbender and Batman having Flash Pass only rows, Scream Machine assigning seats to Flash Pass users, the existence but not use of single rider lines, and having to bring my bag on Goliath. Maintenance could also use improvement (one train only on Mindbender? Georgia Scorcher peeling paint?)

Considering returning next year for the coaster lineup and for Acrophobia and Monster Mansion, making it a must if the RMC rumors come true. Going to spring for a sleeper car, and an extra day off, to make sure I don't get shorted by delays again, and so I can get away with just a Gold Flash Pass.
Top steel: Intimidator 305 / Fury 325 / Twisted Colossus / Storm Runner / Tatsu
Top wood: El Toro / Phoenix / GhostRider / Renegade / Flying Turns

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby beenagins87 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:12 pm

PatrickFHam wrote:
beenagins87 wrote:I don't want them to convert it, the ride is probably the best Stand Up coaster out their. All it needs is a reapint, as for dispatchs, we were their on Wednsedsy and they dispatched our train in under two minutes, next train took like 5, it's more of the GP holding the dispatches up than it is anything else, how people don't understand that you have to STAND on a STAND UP coaster is rather perplexing.

This is super-bratty thing to say, but I wish I could be in charge of that loading platform for a day and fix their whole system. Seriously, giving an extra 10 seconds to let people settle in properly (after putting their drink bottles in the holder), and THEN locking all rows ONCE, without having to reset half the rows individually would do wonders for that ride's capacity.

I know that's really a know-it-all's perspective, but I really think that would help.

They didn't have to relock our train at all, but the train in front of us they had to relock 3 separate occasions. Little kids I get having issues with the seat, but fully functional adults who have most likely been on a 17 year old ride on multiple occasions need to get it together.
Coasters: 96 66 Steel, 30 Wood)

Top 5 Wood: 1 Lightning Rod 1B) Beast at night 2. Goliath 3. The Voyage 4. Mystic Timbers 5. American Thunder

Top 5 Steel: 1. I305 2. Goliath ( SFOG) 3. TN Tornado 4. V2 5. Batman: The Ride

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby Bmanscool » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:53 pm

carolinaman wrote:I just seen on Google maps that where Cyclone is it now say The Joker. Would they do this just to mess with people??

There is a possibilty that the RMC version of Cyclone for 2018 could be themed to The Joker, like the RMC at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. It would not be the best option since the park has two other Joker rides, but this is Six Flags!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby pproteinc » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:00 pm

SLCHeadache wrote:The park itself has very good landscaping and charm for a Six Flags park. Better than Magic Mountain and Great Adventure in that regard. Operations were wonky, between Mindbender and Batman having Flash Pass only rows, Scream Machine assigning seats to Flash Pass users, the existence but not use of single rider lines, and having to bring my bag on Goliath. Maintenance could also use improvement (one train only on Mindbender? Georgia Scorcher peeling paint?)

I totally agree. I was there this past Sunday and I was perturbed at the fact you have two front gate coasters that appearance wise they look sketchy and neglected. Maybe I'm a little biased because my home park is a cedar fair park and I frequent cedar fair parks or any other park for that matter than SixFlags parks. I think coaster should be repainted every 8-12yrs with touch ups in between full on paint jobs. The landscape at SFOG and the whole setting of the park is the best in the chain IMO. They definitely need to work on operations. Mibdbender had one train operation. On a weekend? Really? Super man was a two hour wait with two trains. I'm not understanding the fact the SixFlags chain have the most rides with duel stations and never use them and why are we manually unlocking trains on a modern b&m flyer.?

I may get murdeted for this but I think SFOG can take a year off and work on more infrastructure and freshen uo the rides. As for operations, you would think employees enjoy their job but they have no sense of urgency. I did when I worked at Carowinds for 4yrs in my younger days. We were pumping trains out on top gun with no problem.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby DrachenfireOP » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:39 pm

beenagins87 wrote:
PatrickFHam wrote:
simaticable wrote:So, I was thinking with the construction of RMC Cyclone, is there a good chance Georgia Scorcher could get repainted finally since it's pretty much right across the entrance of Cyclone?

Before the all-but-official RMC conversion of GC, I was thinking 2018 could have been repainting GS and a floorless conversion, a la Mantis/Rougarou at Cedar Point... an opportunity for marketing a "new" ride, and high exposure up front, too. Granted, I'd guess it's not a cheap conversion, but surely they are aware load/unload on our GS is the worst one of all the stand ups. (That's for real.)

The ride is so good! It just needs some attention, just like Ninja/Blue Hawk did. Under-rated, IMO.

Fresh paint, two floorless trains, loading station re-do... boom

I don't want them to convert it, the ride is probably the best Stand Up coaster out their. All it needs is a reapint, as for dispatchs, we were their on Wednsedsy and they dispatched our train in under two minutes, next train took like 5, it's more of the GP holding the dispatches up than it is anything else, how people don't understand that you have to STAND on a STAND UP coaster is rather perplexing.

I'm very lucky to have finally gotten to SFoG last year and gotten rides in on GS and GP before they go away. With that said, GP is one where the conversion is fine with me, though I'd willingly re-ride it. However I agree with you about GS. I LOVED that ride! I'm a pretty big fan of Stanups to begin with, which I know is unpopular, but I was BLOWN AWAY with that one! It was so intense and such a blast, and you just won't get the same thrill on a floorless. Rougarou was a great conversion from Mantis because of how interesting it was, but GS really benefits from being a standup IMO.

Also, I had no problem with the load time. Maybe it was just the day I went, but they were being very efficient and the line moved fast. Blue Hawk was the only long line since they were single training it.

Look! It's something so dark I can't make it out!

Postby DailyBugle_JL » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:00 pm

I know it's only been 3 days but has there been any shopping going on

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:58 pm

DailyBugle_JL wrote:I know it's only been 3 days but has there been any shopping going on

I got a new pair of shoes . . .
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby JordyC » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:37 pm

jarmor wrote:
DailyBugle_JL wrote:I know it's only been 3 days but has there been any shopping going on

I got a new pair of shoes . . .

:nina: :nina:
Quality Over Quantity

1. Shambhala - PortAventura Park 2. Taron - Phantasialand 3. Helix - Liseberg 4. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 5. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa-Park 6. Blue Fire Megacoaster - Europa-Park 7. Silver Star - Europa-Park 8. Goliath - Walibi Holland 9. Balder - Liseberg 10. Alpina Blitz - Nigloland

Coasters: 158 || Parks: 31

Phantasialand Wintertraum || Movie Park Germany || Nigloland || Walygator Parc || Bakken || Tivoli Gardens || PortAventura || Ferrari Land || Plopsaland De Panne || Efteling || Liseberg

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby CoasterGuy06 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:49 pm

pproteinc wrote:Maybe I'm a little biased because my home park is a cedar fair park and I frequent cedar fair parks or any other park for that matter than SixFlags parks. I think coaster should be repainted every 8-12yrs with touch ups in between full on paint jobs.

12 years ago was 2005. Since then the following coasters/major rides have been repainted:
Ninja/Blue Hawk- 2006/2016
Georgia Scorcher- 2007
MindBender- 2008
Batman:The Ride- 2010
Great American Scream Machine- 2010
Acrophobia- 2010
Joker Funhouse Coaster- 2016
Superman:Ultimate Flight- 2017

Mindbender had one train operation. On a weekend? Really?

It's trains are nearly 40 years old and built by a manufacturer that went out of business decades ago. If its running one train you can almost guarantee that if you look inside the storage shed the other train will be in some stage of disassembly. Maybe the next project will be to finally get new trains for it like SFMM did for Revolution in 2016.

Super man was a two hour wait with two trains. I'm not understanding the fact the SixFlags chain have the most rides with duel stations and never use them and why are we manually unlocking trains on a modern b&m flyer.?

The park supposedly was working on getting both stations/all three trains operational again this year. Maybe the budget was cut for it? I'm guessing the issues with the trains could be the fact they are essentially prototype trains.

I may get murdeted for this but I think SFOG can take a year off and work on more infrastructure and freshen uo the rides. As for operations, you would think employees enjoy their job but they have no sense of urgency. I did when I worked at Carowinds for 4yrs in my younger days. We were pumping trains out on top gun with no problem.

To be fair their operations were like that back then too. They were decent last Thursday overall, but were better several years ago. While Carowinds had excellent operations last year when I visited on Fury/Intimidator/Afterburn the rest of the rides were average at best. Hurler for example was running one train and had like eight operators in the station and it was still taking them several minutes to send out a train.

I do agree that I would like to see them making several improvements to their current rides. When they announced Hurricane Harbor in 2014 they said it was the first of a multi year expansion plan. 2018 would be year 5 of that plan so maybe 2019 will be the year they can do some smaller improvements throughout the park?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!