Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

P. 587 - Twisted Cyclone RMC Coaster for 2018 Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:32 pm

Beckspot wrote:I'm not a complainer and I have LOVED SFOG since I was a kid. I also worked there as a teen so that's why I'm so passionate about this park. So what's wrong with Twisted Cyclone? It actually IS incomplete! The point that so many people are missing about ALL the complaints is an ENTIRE lap was omitted from the layout. Georgia Cyclone made 3 laps around the track but Twisted Cyclone only makes 2 laps!
Several online comments state that the footprint of Georgia Cyclone was too small to make the ride longer but that's not true! Wooden roller coasters typically weave in and out through the wooden structure and double back over or underneath the previous lap so there's PLENTY of room in the footprint to add more track! That AWESOME first Cobra/Horseshoe roll element eats up some of the track length so the ride estimate of 2,400 feet is a little misleading.
RMC has set a standard of utilizing ALL if not increasing the existing track length when they convert these coasters. Take a look at any video of Wicked Cyclone at Six Flags New England or The Joker at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and both of those coasters CLEARLY make 3 laps around the layout! So why was the ride length of Twisted Cyclone scaled back to 2 laps when the track length was already there? What makes the other parks more deserving of receiving the RMC standard than Six Flags Over Georgia?
Who wants their home park to have what enthusiasts are already calling '...the weakest RMC in the Six Flags family?" Some coaster fans are complaining because we're disappointed!!! We've waited six years for a new roller coaster at SFOG while several other parks have gotten World-class winged, launched and 4D Free Spin coasters. The Six Flags Corporation FINALLY decides to RMC Georgia Cyclone and the result is a watered down version of what this ride should be! This wouldn't be as much of an issue if ALL the other RMCs in the Six Flags family weren't longer and flat out BETTER! One more element, like a zero G stall, would make Twisted Cyclone the TRUE "record-breaking" coaster that we were promised and it makes sense because the track length was already there!
Of course, I'm happy that SFOG is getting an RMC and I'm definitely excited about riding it but I feel like it should have been TRUE to the original Georgia Cyclone layout and at least as good as the other Six Flags RMCs! Isn't Six Flags motto GO BIG? Well this time they should have GONE BIGGER!!!

Let's see... SFoG has what is possibly one of the best hyper coasters, one of the best standup coasters, a classic Schwarzkoph, the original terrain Superman clone, a kickass Batman clone, a Eurofighter, an old school looper that the chain un-sucked, a solid old school wooden out and back, and one of the best atmospheres in the park chain. Now, the park is getting a kickass RMC makeover on an unpopular ride and you're bitching because they left out one lap? Not surprised. Seems like a pretty 2017-ish thing to do.

Meanwhile, we'll enjoy our new water slide at SFSTL next year, with our newest coaster being a 30 year old boomerang hand-me-down.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:36 pm

boldikus wrote:I can guarantee you when you hit the brakes on this thing, the last thing you're going to be worried about is how short the ride was.

^Really, at the end of the day, when this coaster is operating, and all the people who have complained about its length have ridden it, THIS is going to be the bottom line! Even on Goliath, which is definitely, objectively, a pretty short coaster, I wasn't thinking "dang, that was short!" when I got finished riding it. I was thinking "Oh man! What an awesome coaster that was! That stall was one of the best things EVER!!!" Twisted Cyclone looks great! I really hope 2018 is the year I finally get to SFOG for the first time, and get to ride this thing! :b
Top 10 Coasters! 1.Fury 2.Millennium Force 3.Maverick 4.The Voyage 5. Lightning Rod 6.Storm Chaser 7.El Toro 8.Phantom's Revenge 9. Goliath (SFGAm) 10. Ravine Flyer II Honorable Mentions: Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby fraroc » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:22 pm

All I gotta say is that what Twisted Cyclone might lack in length, it would definitely make up in airtime, inversions, and intensity.

This looks like a fantastic ride.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Trevor Hamilton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:56 pm

prozach626 wrote:Let's see... SFoG has what is possibly one of the best hyper coasters, one of the best standup coasters, a classic Schwarzkoph, the original terrain Superman clone, a kickass Batman clone, a Eurofighter, an old school looper that the chain un-sucked, a solid old school wooden out and back, and one of the best atmospheres in the park chain. Now, the park is getting a kickass RMC makeover on an unpopular ride and you're bitching because they left out one lap? Not surprised. Seems like a pretty 2017-ish thing to do.

Meanwhile, we'll enjoy our new water slide at SFSTL next year, with our newest coaster being a 30 year old boomerang hand-me-down.

Not to mention what they have other than coasters. They have a unique drop tower, some good flat rides, and 2 great dark rides. I mean they're not Cedar Point so you can't expect every new coaster to be their best. And who knows? There's a good chance it may be. I have 0 RMC's anywhere near me and I've never ridden one. Just be happy you're getting an RMC.
My Top 5 Roller Coasters:
1. Griffon 2. Fury 325 3. 1305 4. Maverick 5. El Toro
Coaster Count: 101
Park Count: 17
Home Park: Hershey Park
Favorite Park: Busch Gardens Williamsburg

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby JT325 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:34 pm

prozach626 wrote:, a classic Schwarzkoph

Schwarzkopf ;) And the finest damn looper in the chain. In the world. And to some, top steel coaster.
#CPFrontierLift2019

Postby jynx242 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:46 am

^ :nina: Word!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:29 pm

DILinator wrote: Goliath, which is definitely, objectively, a pretty short coaster

Nope, it's definitely, objectively, a coaster of average length. The only people who ever say it's short are enthusiasts on message boards. We don't need more echo chambers.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:29 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:
DILinator wrote: Goliath, which is definitely, objectively, a pretty short coaster

Nope, it's definitely, objectively, a coaster of average length. The only people who ever say it's short are enthusiasts on message boards. We don't need more echo chambers.

You're cherry picking one part of my comment, and missing the whole point of my post, which was that the length of the ride is irrelevant if it's fun as heck like Goliath is! It IS pretty short in duration (length of time on the ride - not talking track length). That is an objective statement. I've ridden a crap ton of coasters in my life (so I have a lot of experience to compare it to), but have a normal life outside of all that, and am by no means a typical raving coaster enthusiast. There's no echo chamber here... :roll:
Top 10 Coasters! 1.Fury 2.Millennium Force 3.Maverick 4.The Voyage 5. Lightning Rod 6.Storm Chaser 7.El Toro 8.Phantom's Revenge 9. Goliath (SFGAm) 10. Ravine Flyer II Honorable Mentions: Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby EastCoastKid » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:51 pm

I'm at the park today and it's absolutely packed. A pretty miserable day overall, with most waits encroaching an hour. Superman has gone down three times since I've been in line, with cycle times averaging about 8-10 minutes.

Seems like everyone is trying to soak up the last bit of summer with today being the waterpark'a last day in operation for the year.

Also, for my 2018 pass renewal, the attendant said my old pass wouldn't scan and he gave me a new card. Kind of interesting and very wasteful on behalf of the park. Any idea on why that might be/if I should hang on to the old one for the remainder of the year?
What is this donkey business?

Postby coasterbill » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:16 pm

EastCoastKid wrote:I'm at the park today and it's absolutely packed. A pretty miserable day overall

... I don't know man, the best things in life are worth waiting for. :lol:

lol.jpg

:lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol:

... jesus

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!