TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

SFGAm's Goliath is often called the "worst" RMC. The only knock against that ride is the ride time. It's otherwise one heck of a relentless coaster.

I was about to post that this ride still looks better than Goliath (which I still like but think, in some respects, was a wasted opportunity).

I would love to get down to SFoG this year. I haven't been since 2006. The more I ride other B&M hypers, the more Goliath rises up my list of favorites. Wonder if my memory can live up to reality.

Whelp definitely the worst RMC, at least definitely the worst looking POV video.

I'm still trying to figure out if this was an attempt at online deadpan sarcasm, or really as misguided of a comment as it appears to be at first blush...

I'm in town for work training this week. Today is the last day and we will probably get out early, probably around 3. This may be one of my view chances to ever make it to this park would it be worth going until 8 tonight? Is there an afternoon entry fee discount or any other discount like at a grocery store?

Thank you for your information guys

I'm in town for work training this week. Today is the last day and we will probably get out early, probably around 3. This may be one of my view chances to ever make it to this park would it be worth going until 8 tonight? Is there an afternoon entry fee discount or any other discount like at a grocery store?

It is worth going. Great coaster lineup. No afternoon discounts.

Thanks for the info, I know it was wishful thinking as I couldn't find anything on their webpage

I was about to post that this ride still looks better than Goliath (which I still like but think, in some respects, was a wasted opportunity).

I would love to get down to SFoG this year. I haven't been since 2006. The more I ride other B&M hypers, the more Goliath rises up my list of favorites. Wonder if my memory can live up to reality.

Goliath is definitely at the top of my hyper list. Second only to Nitro. Be sure to ride back seat and leave some play on the lap bar every hill will have you out of the seat.

Thanks for the info, I know it was wishful thinking as I couldn't find anything on their webpage

Six Flags is very good at discounts though. I always go with the season pass since it pays for itself in two visits and is valid at all their parks.

But for daily admission, I always see tickets (for SFNE anyway) on Coca Cola cans and at fast food restaurants like Subway or Dunkin Donuts. I could see them doing something similar down there. At the very least, I strongly recommend buying in advance online. It saves you a queue at the ticket booth and it's cheaper than the gate price.

Saddly I think it's not going to happen. Looks like training won't get out until around 3, then it's another hour to the park and they close at 7. I thought they were going to be closing at 8, but I must have read the calendar incorrectly.

Sad times, I fly back up to PA tomorrow morning. At least I'll have a "Six Flags" up by Buffalo soon (next year).

If there's any chance you hit another Six Flags park this year, I still would recommend stopping in for a visit. The two best coasters (Goliath and Twisted Cyclone) are near the very front of the park. And if you're lucky, you may even be able to hit the classic Mind Bender too.

The two best coasters (Goliath and Twisted Cyclone) are near the very front of the park.

You meant the two most popular coasters...

And if you're lucky, you may even be able to hit the classic Mind Bender too.

The best and rarest coaster at the park... well, to some of us

^

I'm hoping to hop out there on Monday for a quick ride. I love how much better that side of the front of the park looks (come on, time to paint Scorcher now!)

Looks like rain, but you never know. Little guy is in daycare, I'm off work and have the day to myself so why not?!

Unfortunatly I was unable to make it. After the work training finished my coworker and I both felt a ill (probably from what we were fed for lunch at the training).

Atlanta is where the company headquarters is so it's possible they may have me come back down for some other work event and hopefully I can get to SFOG then.

So does this bad boy run in light rain? Hoping to swing by after work today for the preview but there's a 40% chance of showers.

How would anyone really know? Doesn't a ride have to actually OPERATE for some period of time before we know any details about the operations of it???

Weather was cooperating this afternoon so I was able to visit the park for a few hours. Twisted Cyclone was having a preview event for Season pass holders, members, and anyone else willing to buy a $15 t-shirt.

Thunderstorms earlier in the day plus the fact some area school systems were still in session resulted in a very empty park. The only line in the park was the aforementioned preview line for TC, which was only about 10 minutes long. Basically, this was THE opportunity to ride this thing before it opens to the public tomorrow.

I rode it three times: twice near the front, once near the back. There was no preferred seating; an attendant was assigning seats. The queue house was completely refurbished with some theming on the walls featuring reproduction newspaper headlines of hurricanes past. There was even some cross-promotion for Hurricane Harbor. There was also a new area with personal storage, a.k.a. 'fluffy bunnies' available as this ride now joins the ranks of Goliath, Scorcher, and others that do not allow personal items on the dock.

Anyway - as far as the ride goes... wow ... just W@W. What this ride lacks in length is more than made up for in intensity and lots of ejector air time. The ride starts off with a surprise drop and some trick track action. We were already having a blast and we had not yet even reached the lift hill. The first drop with the head chopper and the first inversion took many by surprise. All the elements were well paced and after the final inversion and turn, the train rockets into the brake run. I believe this ride got faster at the very end. There are no bad seats; the ejector air time is everywhere. Additionally, there is nothing really to hold onto. If your hands are not in the air, they are against your body. This out-of-control feel just added to the thrill.

All in all, this is EXACTLY what the park needed. Some others have said it here first: SLEEPER HIT. Well it is that and more. There are going to be many thoroughly surprised naysayers.

I also spent an hour or so in the newly opened-for-the-season Hurricane Harbor. Oh, the irony.

Not a bad way to spend three hours after work. Cheers.....

So does this bad boy run in light rain? Hoping to swing by after work today for the preview but there's a 40% chance of showers.

How would anyone really know? Doesn't a ride have to actually OPERATE for some period of time before we know any details about the operations of it???

If SFOG is still doing things the way they were when I worked there, then chances are they're not going to run it in the rain because the brake run isn't covered. All of the coasters with uncovered brake runs are classified as Level A rides. Level A rides (Mind Bender, Goliath, Blue Hawk, Superman, Scorcher etc.) are the first to close even before the rain starts. I was told that this is to prevent issues with the brakes being wet, possibly preventing them from functioning properly.

I'm actually surprised that the brake run on Twisted Cyclone isn't covered. Especially since The Georgia Cyclone had a covered brake run.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but they are preparing to paint Scorcher. It has test paint on the supports both in the traditional purple shade and a new dark red shade. I prefer the purple. Didn’t see any test paint for the track but I imagine they will paint that too. I was surprised because when I asked their director of operations about it he said there were no current plans to paint it. Looks like they’ve reconsider. They’ve also had to do some welding work on some of the track which doesn’t surprise me considering it’s age and the condition of the exposed steel.

It’s about time!!!!

Not sure if this has been mentioned but they are preparing to paint Scorcher. It has test paint on the supports both in the traditional purple shade and a new dark red shade. I prefer the purple. Didn’t see any test paint for the track but I imagine they will paint that too. I was surprised because when I asked their director of operations about it he said there were no current plans to paint it. Looks like they’ve reconsider. They’ve also had to do some welding work on some of the track which doesn’t surprise me considering it’s age and the condition of the exposed steel.

It’s about time!!!!

Awesome, my vote would be for purple too.

Are you at the park now? Curious about wait times for Twisted Cyclone and how far is the line out of the queue station?

Thanks!

It’s about time!!!!

Thank god, that ride was looking terrible even by SF standards

It’s about time!!!!

This is good news but I'm wondering how they're going to go about this since they are now open for daily ops.