TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

First time at this park Saturday. We got there right around opening time. Getting our 2018 passes was a breeze going through the normal ticket line. We passed by Georgia Scorcher as there was a line already. Same with Goliath and Daredevil Dive and they weren't running passengers yet, so we did the logical thing and went to the back and rode SMUF walk-on. Blue Hawk and GASM weren't running so we did the dark ride game thing and set out for Mindbender.

My daughter was skeptical of Mindbender, as she has not liked any of the 70s-80s steel coasters she has been on. After assuring her this one was different (I actually had no clue), she agreed to give it a shot. What a great coaster! It seemed much smoother than any of the Arrows we have ridden. We had about a 10 minute wait. Then it was on to Batman: The Ride. It was fun but no big wow factor. It was a 5 minute wait.

Next up was Goliath. It was a 25 minute wait and well worth it. The floater airtime was the best I've ever experienced. Ride ops on this one were the best of the day, but still not great. Seems those working the rides at SFoG could not care less about throughput. Next up was Georgia Scorcher. I didn't have high hopes for this one, my second stand-up coaster, after my experience with Vortex. This one actually seemed a lot smoother and would have gotten another ride if the lines were shorter.

I kept checking the app and wait times at Daredevil Dive were at 90 minutes. Not gonna happen. So we did Dahlonega Mine Train. It was pretty fun for a family coaster. That last dip and curve before the station were pleasantly unexpected. As we exited the DMT, I saw that Blue Hawk was running so we boogied over for a double up on that one. Fun coaster that packed a lot into such a small footprint. By the time that double was done GASM was running. It was walk-on for the first ride and 5 minute wait on the second. Another great old woodie. Daredevil Dive still had a 90 minute wait so we bailed on it and went to Stone Mountain b/c my daughter had never been.

All in all a fun park with good rides that could use a little work on ride ops, IMO. It will get a re-visit next year. It's an easy loop from where I am to Dollywood> SFoG> Carowinds. We have SF gold passes and friends to stay with in Atlanta, so it's just gas money.

I'm glad my daughter asked to go to a theme park this year and rekindled my love of roller coasters. My coaster count stood at 7 from 1980 to August 2017. Now it's at 43.

Nice little report. SFOG is a really great park. Glad to hear you loved Mindbender, its really a special one imo. The reason why its better than most Arrows you've been on is because its not an Arrow. LOL! Goliath and their Superman are both great and that little Mine Train is awesome. I also really loved Scream Machine, a really good classic style woodie. DDD is a really good coaster but its absolutely not worth waiting that long for. I missed Blue Hawk and Scorcher during my visit as both were closed but SFOG is high on my list for 2018.

Nice little report. SFOG is a really great park. Glad to hear you loved Mindbender, its really a special one imo. The reason why its better than most Arrows you've been on is because its not an Arrow. LOL! Goliath and their Superman are both great and that little Mine Train is awesome. I also really loved Scream Machine, a really good classic style woodie. DDD is a really good coaster but its absolutely not worth waiting that long for. I missed Blue Hawk and Scorcher during my visit as both were closed but SFOG is high on my list for 2018.

Oh, I knew it was a Schwarzkopf going in. My daughter was still skeptical as every other steel coaster from that era that we have ridden (Carolina Cyclone, Anaconda, Loch Ness Monster, and Tennessee Tornado) were Arrows and not her favorites. I was not expecting such a smooth ride from a 1978 coaster.

Oh, I knew it was a Schwarzkopf going in. My daughter was still skeptical as every other steel coaster from that era that we have ridden (Carolina Cyclone, Anaconda, Loch Ness Monster, and Tennessee Tornado) were Arrows and not her favorites. I was not expecting such a smooth ride from a 1978 coaster.

Lapbars over OTSR's tend to be smoother

In spite of the weather, I decided to visit on Sunday. The light rain had ended leaving a chilly damp day but it was a great day to visit! Every coaster was a walk on, even DDD. Justice League was about a 10 minute wait (no wait for the single rider line). I took advantage of the ultra empty park and got lots of rare photo ops, particularly the juxtaposition of Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park decor. Most FF stuff was gone but not all of it. I also got some shots of completely deserted open areas with the right timing as the crowds were non existent.

I made sure to get final rides on Blue Hawk before it closes for the season. I don't know if it's just me but that ride seemed smoother and faster in the chilly weather. Too bad they cannot keep Lickskillet open for HitP as this area has good rides and would look really nice with Christmas decorations.

Now I wait Saturday and the official arrival of Santa and the elves. The Crystal Pistol show will be the same "Because it's Christmas". Hot chocolate HitP cups are blue this year.

Work on Twisted Cyclone is coming right along. Over all a chilly but great day!

Quick question. I'm going to be in Atlanta this weekend for a business trip and want to hit up SFOG for Holiday in the Park. The forecast shows a chance of rain in the evening. What is the general experience at SFOG with rain? Do all the coasters close at the first drop? Just trying to get an understanding and perhaps change my plans to visit the park to a different night.

I ran into some trouble when I visited SFOG last summer. Most outdoor rides closed at one point due to weather even though it was sunny out and I couldn't see any thunderstorms on the horizon. The next day, it started off beautiful but the afternoon had rain. I remember Mind Bender shutting down in light rain, but Batman ran without a problem. Then the torrential rain started and shut down the park.

Rides that tend to be particularly iffy with rain are Batman, Mind Bender, DDD , and Goliath if the rain is heavy enough.

Also, the park is quick to put all rides on one train ops if there is a decent threat of rain in the forecast, which can cause for longer lines on days that aren't that busy but still busy enough.

You're welcome!

If they are thunderstorms, the park is very strict and will keep the rides closed way longer than seems necessary. For normal rain, they will usually keep the rides running especially if they are one train ops. Goliath will open back up the moment rain ends. For Dare Devil Dive, Mind Bender and Batman, they may not reopen until the track dries off.

SFOG is VERY inconsistent with their policies and how they administer them, so honestly it can be quite a toss up.

Other general advice... ride Dare Devil Dive first if it is open at opening (it sometimes isn't). Mind Bender is sometimes on one train ops and if it is the line gets long there as well. Scream Machine is great as long as you aren't in the third row of any of the cars on the train. Batman and Superman can get very long lines. Do not miss Monster Mansion or Acrophobia. The carousel is worth at least looking at because of its beauty and history. Food lines and insanely long and slow in this park so be careful. If you have a souvenir cup, go to one of the 3 Coke Freestyle locations so you can just walk in, fill up, and walk out.

Edit: Just remembered Scream Machine and Blue Hawk don't operate for Holiday in the Park which is unfortunate, but luckily just about everything else is up and running.

Question....

How are the crowds(especially ride lines) durring Holiday in the park? We are contemplating a trip next weekend.

Thanks!

Generally speaking, the park is nowhere near as crowded as during Fright Fest. Also, the earlier your visit to Holiday, the less crowded. (Thanksgiving week is a great week to go.) Overall if you can endure iffy and sometimes chilly weather, ride lines are not much of a factor.

My very first visit to HitP was at Over Texas in 2001. It was extremely cold but I got my first ever rides on their coasters with almost no wait. Other than being cold, it was a great visit.

Isn't that color scheme too similar to that of Blue Hawk?

I'm super excited for this coaster to open next year. Put me on the same boat of liking the blue track/gray supports better. Hopefully we'll start seeing that blue track arrive soon!

I couldn't agree more! The first thing I thought about was Blue Hawk! I'm sure it will look great though. Just glad to finally be getting something new. In the actual IAAPA interview, designer Alan Schilke also said that he added a couple of small little changes in the layout that real coaster enthusiasts will notice that's different from the animation we have. He said the same thing about Wicked Cyclone when it opened and he ended up making a couple of the airtime hills outerbanked hills in comparison to the animation. I'll take it! Twisted Cyclone and Wicked Cyclone will definitely look like siblings with the gray supports lol.

I'm super excited for this coaster to open next year. Put me on the same boat of liking the blue track/gray supports better. Hopefully we'll start seeing that blue track arrive soon!

Eh, could be worse. Could be like Great Adv where we have two green coasters and two yellow coasters right next to each other.

This ride will look awesome. It is actually teal track as opposed to the deep blue of Blue Hawk. Also any similarities in color scheme won't really matter since the two coasters are so far apart.

Grey will be a nice change. Also the trains will really stand out as a pop of color.

Does anybody have an idea if the park has a dinning guide for meal plan holders at the Holiday in the park event?

I can't seem to find it on the website. Basicly looking for meal/snack times, and locations that offer the meal plan durring the event.

Thanks for any help.

Does anybody have an idea if the park has a dinning guide for meal plan holders at the Holiday in the park event?

I can't seem to find it on the website. Basicly looking for meal/snack times, and locations that offer the meal plan durring the event.

Thanks for any help.

When the park is open 4-10 pm, the dinner and snack are in effect from open to close. (You can utilize your meal and/or snack right up 'til 10pm - there is no lunch though) I am not sure about other operating hours but I do remember seeing a sign on the door with the special HitP dining pass hours. The park has been very accommodating with the dining pass hours during Fright Fest and HitP.

The participating food/bev locations have not changed although there are a few special up-charge options added, including a turkey dinner! Another noteworthy seasonal offering: Johnny Rockets has peppermint milkshakes available - and you can use your snack pass to get one!

Hope this helps.