TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Although it's still early, the announced closure date is in line with previously-used timelines for past Six Flags RMC conversions like Joker, Wicked Cyclone, and Medusa. Assuming there aren't any unforeseen delays, I'd bet we'd see the coaster open to the public by the normal late-spring/early summer period we're accustom to from Six Flags.

If they're planning an RMC conversion it likely won't be ready for the 2018 season. It took two years to complete work on NTAG.

This is false. Wicked Cyclone closed around this time and was ready for the next season.

This. Plus Georgia won't have to deal with the New England winter, so I think they left themselves more than enough time. NTAG was a much larger coaster.

If they're planning an RMC conversion it likely won't be ready for the 2018 season. It took two years to complete work on NTAG.

Every other RMC conversion for the SF chain since Texas Giant has taken place in one off season. Texas Giant was the first, so naturally that took a little more time to perfect and as others have stated, Texas Giant was a much larger undertaking. Georgia Cyclone will most likely be open by, or around Memorial Day Weekend of 2018.

An RMC also fits in that SFOG is one of only 5 parks in the chain without an RMC. Also, will be interesting to see if they utilize any of the land behind the ride (the never-used parkway road) to expand the area a bit. With such a large project on the way, the area would really benefit from additional space, not to mention food/bev locations given the constant crowded state of the Johnny Rockets.

Although this project is for 2018, it is cool they will announce it during their 50th season. Not bad for a golden anniversary gift!

This could open fully before Lightning Rod. I know the latter is an entirely different ride and is out of technical rehearsal, but it had a 2 year head start and it's really frustrating it still isn't running reliably.

I know I'm asking for speculation, but do we know what sort of ride this should be when they're done? I'm pretty ignorant about most of this I guess. When RMC comes in to do one of these is it a complete rebuild or more of a refresh? In other words would you guys expect us to get something completely different out of this or just a better Cyclone?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

^This is almost certainly the date they will use so that it can still align with their huge Labor Day sale which is the first push and largest discount for the coming year's season passes.

I'm still so sad but the announcement will be really exciting! I can't wait to hear the name, see the logo, and hopefully see a full POV.

Hi everyone, I am planning my first visit to Six Flags (July 26th) and had some questions I am hoping the experts can answer. I'm a Florida girl and have a feeling this won't but the same experience as our parks- but not in a bad way.

1. It will be a Wednesday, end of summer, is this typically a very crowded time? Will we be able to do everything (or almost) once?

2. Which rides/attractions do we absolutely need to hit up? (2 adults who love coasters)

3. How long are wait times typically?

4. Is there a good time to stop by the water park portion? Like opening time, or closer to 6?

5. Are the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo there big enough for our shoes, clothes and 2 towels? Is it all day/hourly? What is the rate?

6. Do the meal tickets online really save you anything? or should we wait for better food options in park?

7. Is there a way to get around the $25 parking? Nearby hotels with free shuttle, etc.?

8. Do they have digital kiosks for wait times, an app, etc?

9. Any other info that would be useful, help us have extra fun?

10. We will be going to Talluhah Gorge the next day? any recommendations there?

11. Good place to eat a casual dinner somewhere in-between?

Sorry to get a little off topic towards the end but I figured some locals might be able to help. Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone, I am planning my first visit to Six Flags (July 26th) and had some questions I am hoping the experts can answer. I'm a Florida girl and have a feeling this won't but the same experience as our parks- but not in a bad way.

1. It will be a Wednesday, end of summer, is this typically a very crowded time? Will we be able to do everything (or almost) once?

2. Which rides/attractions do we absolutely need to hit up? (2 adults who love coasters)

4. Is there a good time to stop by the water park portion? Like opening time, or closer to 6?

5. Are the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo there big enough for our shoes, clothes and 2 towels? Is it all day/hourly? What is the rate?

6. Do the meal tickets online really save you anything? or should we wait for better food options in park?

7. Is there a way to get around the $25 parking? Nearby hotels with free shuttle, etc.?

Sorry to get a little off topic towards the end but I figured some locals might be able to help. Thanks in advance!

I can help with some of these...others will put in their $0.02 and opinions and by feelings will not be hurt.

1. Poor choice of days. Any other day of the week will be fine but the day you have chosen is the final Wednesday in July

for season pass holders to bring friends free. I made the mistake of going on this day in 2015 and it was busier than any Saturday I have seen.

2. IMHO...you have to hit Goliath and our one of a kind gem Mindbender

3. I checked Coasterqueue yesterday...during a bring a friend free Wednesday...most were hour plus wait times.

4. Its summer in the steamy south...it stays busy.

5. TBH I dont use them...my car and pack mule serve me well.

6. Again a packed lunch from the car is a good break and priced perfectly for my family of 6.

7. There are a couple hotels that are near by that are within walking distance. They even allow parking there half the cost of the park.

8. They do offer a Flash pass for a fee. If you insist going on this day I would HIGHLY recommend it!

9. Yeah...go on Tuesday! I mean that as light heartedly as possible. It really is just an extremely busy day for the park.

10. My hometown after Florida. Lots to see. Dont be afraid to venture off the highway.

11. I recommend Bigg Daddy's in Corneila.

This group is a little excited about our exit of Georgia Cyclone so the comments may be slim but hopefully more will chime in.

Every other RMC conversion for the SF chain since Texas Giant has taken place in one off season. Texas Giant was the first, so naturally that took a little more time to perfect and as others have stated, Texas Giant was a much larger undertaking. Georgia Cyclone will most likely be open by, or around Memorial Day Weekend of 2018.

Every other Six Flags RMC has been completed in a similar timeframe to the likely Georgia Cyclone timeframe.

SFDK

Roar closed 8/16/2015

Joker opened 5/30/2016

SFFT

Rattler closed 8/4/2012

Iron Rattler opened 5/25/2013

SFM

Medusa (wood) closed late 2013 (RCDB doesn't give exact date)

Medusa Steel Coaster opened 6/14/2014

SFMM

Colussus closed 8/16/2014

Twisted Colossus opened 5/23/2015

SFNE

Cyclone closed 7/20/2014

Wicked Cyclone closed 5/24/2015

It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to see the RMC Cyclone open slightly before Memorial Day (however, SF has held completed rides until that time with NTAG being an exception as it opened in April 2011)

Every other Six Flags RMC has been completed in a similar timeframe to the likely Georgia Cyclone timeframe.

SFDK

Roar closed 8/16/2015

Joker opened 5/30/2016

SFFT

Rattler closed 8/4/2012

Iron Rattler opened 5/25/2013

SFM

Medusa (wood) closed late 2013 (RCDB doesn't give exact date)

Medusa Steel Coaster opened 6/14/2014

SFMM

Colussus closed 8/16/2014

Twisted Colossus opened 5/23/2015

SFNE

Cyclone closed 7/20/2014

Wicked Cyclone closed 5/24/2015

It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to see the RMC Cyclone open slightly before Memorial Day (however, SF has held completed rides until that time with NTAG being an exception as it opened in April 2011)

Yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't be ready for 2018. They probably started early on MS and Hurler since MS is bigger and they have 7 projects this year.

I can help with some of these...others will put in their $0.02 and opinions and by feelings will not be hurt.

1. Poor choice of days. Any other day of the week will be fine but the day you have chosen is the final Wednesday in July

for season pass holders to bring friends free. I made the mistake of going on this day in 2015 and it was busier than any Saturday I have seen.

3. I checked Coasterqueue yesterday...during a bring a friend free Wednesday...most were hour plus wait times.

6. Again a packed lunch from the car is a good break and priced perfectly for my family of 6.

7. There are a couple hotels that are near by that are within walking distance. They even allow parking there half the cost of the park.

8. They do offer a Flash pass for a fee. If you insist going on this day I would HIGHLY recommend it!

9. Yeah...go on Tuesday! I mean that as light heartedly as possible. It really is just an extremely busy day for the park.

10. My hometown after Florida. Lots to see. Dont be afraid to venture off the highway.

This group is a little excited about our exit of Georgia Cyclone so the comments may be slim but hopefully more will chime in.

Thanks for your response, unfortunately these are the only 2 days we have to visit for a very long time. Would Thursday be a better choice? Or is it too close to the weekend?

Thanks for your response, unfortunately these are the only 2 days we have to visit for a very long time. Would Thursday be a better choice? Or is it too close to the weekend?

Yes Thursday would be better...good bit better as I am heading there right now.

I'll try to help out a bit too.

1. As Zeus pointed out, Wednesday is a Bring A Friend For Free Day which is usually a zoo, so I'd avoid Wednesday and go Thursday.

2. I'd hit the coasters in this order.

Go right at opening and when you enter the park and you see the water fountains straight ahead go up the hill on the left of that straight to Dare Devil Dive first. After that exit DDD and turn left and go to the back of the park and knock out Justice League and Superman. Resist the urge to ride Goliath as you'll walk right by it

If you want the credit, I'd probably hit the Joker Funhouse Coaster in the middle of the park next. It's a kiddie coaster but a fun one especially in the back row. This has horrible dispatch times due to little kids taking forever and only a single train so it has long waits.

After that, Goliath, Georgia Scorcher, Mind Bender, Batman, Mine Train Blue Hawk, GASM and Georgia Cyclone in no particular order. One thing to note, Georgia Cyclone used to be a walk on ride but since they announced it closing I've seen a 120 minute waits which is crazy, so you may want to knock out that one fairly early too before the park gets crowded.

3. Wait times are usually walk-on or station waits until lunch time so use that to your advantage.

4. Water park will probably be best the last hour before it closes. It will be extremely crowded during the heat of the day.

5. There are lockers right in the front by Georgia Scorcher and in the back by Superman, not sure what the rate is or if they accept cards or are cash only.

6. The food is pretty bad there so I'd probably just wait and eat at the park.

7. Not sure about parking as I have a Gold pass which includes it but there are some hotels around that offer reduced parking and I think there is a lot just before the main entrance on the right that is $10 but don't quote me on that.

8. No kiosks but I believe the app will show your wait times once your in the park. Not sure how that works if your not a season pass holder.

9. If you've never been, Monster Mansion it's a fun dark ride and a nice way to cool off. The river ride is a great one too.

10. Talluhah is on the way to Dollywood, resist the urge

11. Not really sure.

So since the announcement that Georgia Cyclone is closing, has the wait increased from people trying to get in the last rides? Or has it not really had any affect? I'm just curious.