TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFNO/Jazzland Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at the former Six Flags New Orleans and potentially Jazzland, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

August 31st, 2005 - SFNO devasted along with the rest of New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina - SEE BELOW!

October 27th, 2005 - MegaZeph assessed as damaged beyond repair

December 13th, 2006 - Batman: The Ride salvaged for another Six Flags park

April 23rd, 2008 - Danny Rogers and Southern Star Amusement appear as potential saviors for the park

July 11th, 2008 - Southern Star Amusement's plan released

September 28th, 2008 - Southern Star no longer pursuing the property

February 18th, 2009 - Danny Rogers explains his position on the project

February 21st, 2009 - Danny Rogers claims to have found a potential business partner

April 222nd, 2009 - City of New Orleans considers suing Six Flags for breach of contract in not re-opening the park

April 23rd, 2009 - Article in Forbes reveals that SF tried to buy their way out of contract for $14MM in 2007

May 12th, 2009 - Restrianing order now prevents SF from removing any more rides.

August 18th, 2009 - Nickelodeon revealed as potential partner of Southern Star

October 29th, 2009 - Southern Star fails to supply $500,000 fee to continue pursuing the park

November 13th, 2009 - Southern Star now wants to buy the park on their own

December 7th, 2009 - Six Flags is out of the picture as backruptcy court hands the property and contents back to New Orleans

December 11th, 2009 - Big League Dreams is interested in turning site into a sports complex

January 8th, 2010 - Danny Rogers claims Mayor Ray Nagin is the reason he doesn't own the property yet

April 15th, 2010 - a new suitor (Three Wise Men) emerges on the scene

April 19th, 2010 - Three Wise Men change their mind and withdraw their proposal

June 1st, 2010 - Southern Star still claiming that they can reopen the park

June 14tn, 2010 - Danny Rogers reveals Southern Star's latest plans

November 10th, 2010 - City re-affirms stance of the property

January 27th, 2011 - Danny Rogers joins TPR

November 22nd, 2011 - City of New Orleans has acquired 8 bids to redevelop the property

November 29th, 2011 - Committee narrows redevelopment of site down to two proposals

February 6th, 2012 - Redevelopment committee narrows choices even further

March 11th, 2012 - City approves 'Jazzland Mall' development

April 4th, 2014 - City dismisses both Jazzland redevelopment proposals

March 13th, 2015 - New film to use Six Flags site as primary film set

July 8th, 2019 - Mayor targets demolition of former park structures

December 23rd, 2020 - New Orleans seeking redevelopment proposals for SFNO site

Hey everyone...It took too much time but I found a video online of the damage and took some video grabs to get some photos. Pretty interesting. Everything appears to still be standing...standing in anywhere from 5 - 10 feet of water!

If you thought that Megazeph was built over a swamp before wait till you see it now. Again, not too many close up shots since this was from a news chopper, but it will definitely give you an idea of the damage!

If you want to see a REALLY hi-res version of what the park looks like click the following link:

Six Flags New Orleans Katrina Damage - Hi Res

Sept 16th Update - Added a few new photos below showing massive destruction. Photos from: http://interthemepark.shutterfly.com/ac ... 0d366c05da

Please see that link for about 40 additional photos.

sfno6.jpg.d1a87717ff5b01df20df45a717c734f6.jpg

Final close up of the parking lot and some of the buildings underwater. Poor Sally Dark Ride must have Major Damage.

sfno5.jpg.b1ea221778b1f9605eabcef2544b0708.jpg

Even farther out now and we can see the S&S Towers and Megazeph on the right side of the park. Again, for the most part everything still seems 'there' but I wonder what kind of inspections they'll need to get the rides back open once the water is removed

sfno4.jpg.9da8da460ab4e1a61280b30e36e10980.jpg

From a bit farther out we can see more of Batman...good thing they built it so high off the ground!

sfno3.jpg.005ef43cb16f0e18c4f9ac53340905aa.jpg

In this photo you can see the boomerang, aviator, and a piece of Batman.

sfno2.jpg.903d92f61109cbfb5f8fca6485dc52b6.jpg

Here's a closeup of what I believe is the entrance and the tip of a log flume (I haven't been to the park since it was Jazzland in 2001, so I apologize if I'm wrong)

sfno1.jpg.d937307c7abd0b8525293036ca527d6b.jpg

Lots of buildings underwater...you can also see the pirate ship and another ride.

sfno_hires.jpg.83f12da32743a56b90980edf8c1523fe.jpg

Here's a new Satellite view.

sfno_3.jpg.bfd7547d52fc3dd9d089c20f868afe67.jpg

And yet another new shot.

sfno7.jpg.199733ef8a0f69d292f2cc86a84ff816.jpg

sfno6.jpg.b34930c13e28adf2e9eb0fac6f59b1df.jpg

sfno5.jpg.b1615b7b0e1fedbf9e91ca6198bcb8f4.jpg

sfno4.jpg.101ef8b36e0d54c135e17096f1581abb.jpg

sfno3.jpg.5ec00bf3bbf7a6eb6d677b4a341753d2.jpg

sfno2.jpg.d19591bcddbe7bb1eb99ec35a2d6356c.jpg

sfno1.jpg.24954412e9bd0b0b22abfb5ae304f1cf.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was trying to find pictures too, then when I decided that they didn't exist I started watching way too many videos and ads before and after videos till I finally found a video that had 10 seconds of footage!

GRrrrr...Oh well, at least now people can see!

Thanks for the pics Elissa! At least the coasters and some rides still appear to be standing, so they aren't total losses. One less thing for the park to have to replace later. I'm sure this has got to be one of the worst disasters to ever hit a park (or the entire US for that matter!)

-Julie

I know that Old Coney Island here in Cincy flooded many, many times over the years and the rides always seemed to get repaired, refurbished and they went on.... However, with Six Flags having issues.....

The whole thing is just such an unbelievable tragedy that an amusement park should be the least of anyone's concern, including ours.

Shari

It's like RCT3 gone wild>

six Flags new orleans: Soaked edition.

I bet it runs about as well as RCT3, too.

What bothers me about the footage i've seen is the looting. They were filming people looting a Walmart. Not looting for food or clothing but tv's and microwaves. Looters should be shot. food is one thing, but tv's when there's no power to run them?

I know that Old Coney Island here in Cincy flooded many, many times over the years and the rides always seemed to get repaired, refurbished and they went on.... However, with Six Flags having issues.....

The whole thing is just such an unbelievable tragedy that an amusement park should be the least of anyone's concern, including ours.

Shari

Yeah, I was there last week and got a picture of the big flood thermometer in the back of the park.

I agree^^^ Taking food and other essential items is not looting its surviving this horrible disaster, but, taking TVs and other things is looting and those who do it to gain profit from the items should be prosecuted.

I think its really too bad that the park had to flood, but I'm sure all the rollercoasters will be back to normal. Look at SFoG, Mindbender is underwater usually like once every year, and its still an awesome ride! Hope that everything gets back to normal, or as normal as it can be. God bless all those affected by this storm.

I cant believe all the pictures/videos on the news. Its so strange to think that this is the US and yet it looks like some 3rd world country.. People are stranded and helpless and thats not something you think about everyday .

Those states will never be the same again.. and as for Six Flags, with the park having the financial issues.... can they afford to fix anything?

I agree looting tvs, etc can be wrong.. But if you look at it this way, some of these people were left with nothing.. No money, no means to help them get out of LA. If I was in their situation, and I know it sounds wrong, but I would definately attempt to take something of value. Not to make profit for me, but so that I have something that could trade for something I need, like a ride where ever I need to go or some kind of lodging.

All I know is personally, I would be doing anything to get OUT of there , not just to have something nice in my house or to sell it to some sucker.. However not everyone is thinking that way, they are just thinking profit. and that is definately not right.